Exhibition about Girls' Comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

LousQ

Exhibition about Girls' Comics

Post by LousQ »

Hi everyone,

I have posted about it before but if any of you are interested, there is an exhibition about the representation of women in comics in Dundee University, with a lot of Girls’ Comics from DC Thomson archives
Here is more info about it : https://www.dundee.ac.uk/museum/exhibit ... ics/girls/

Have a nice day!

davidandrewsimpson

Re: Exhibition about Girls' Comics

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not far from Dundee, so I'll pop down the road for a look at this next month.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I'm not too far away, so hopefully will get a chance too visit before it finishes.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

I now need to formulate a plan to visit Scotland. :D :D :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

helsbels wrote:I now need to formulate a plan to visit Scotland. :D :D :D
We would love a visit from you if you can stand our obscenely long sofas and teething puppy!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

helsbels wrote:I now need to formulate a plan to visit Scotland. :D :D :D
Me too! :xfingers: for me!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'd love to visit Dundee; unfortunately I've read enough Thomson comics to know that terrible things invariably happen to people who try to cross the Forth Bridge (up to and including dinosaur attacks!). :)
Last edited by philcom55 on 28 Jul 2017, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:I'd love to visit Dundee; unfortunately I've read enough Thomson comics to know that terrible happen to people who try to cross the Forth Bridge (up to and including dinosaur attacks!). :)
Sounds like you've read too many of them.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

I went to see the Girls' Comics exhibition at University Of Dundee yesterday, and very good it was too. Plenty of D C Thomson original art, as you'd expect, with the artists named when known, plus a nice little smattering of work from other sources. There were even some sketches by Elizabeth 'Bunty' Stott, a female artist who drew for Thomsons, and maintained that Bunty was named after her.

There were also a few other nice comics-related thing to see, starting with a statue of Oor Wullie painted to look like Dr Manhattan from Watchmen (remember Oor Wullie's Bucket Trail fro last year?) It's now in the Tower Building Foyer, where the exhibition is being held. The person who bought it donated it to his old university, which was a very fine thing to do.

The hoardings round the Dundee V&A Museum, currently being constructed, feature a huge comic strip (anyone looking at that, make sure you go to the side wall furthest from the museum, where the whole strip can be seen together in one place, at a smaller size. It looks great.

Even the local civic museum, the Mcmanus Galleries, has a statue of Oor Wullie outside, another one inside (wearing an ancient African mask), and some Dudley Watkins art on display.

Let's not forget the Desperate Dan/Minnie The Minx statues right in the centre of town.

All in all, a very nice comicsy outing on a sunny day.