Host characters in girls' comics - questions about Judy

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Host characters in girls' comics - questions about Judy

Post by Kashgar »

Hi hypnojoo, the first story told by the Storyteller in the first issue of June & School Friend dated 30/1/65 was titled 'The Haunted Bank' and it was drawn by Mike Hubbard.

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

Ahhh thanks Kashgar, that's fantastic to know! I've just got an email from the British Library saying that they don't have any holdings for J&SF except June 3rd 1967 and the Holiday special, which is pretty unbelievable but there you go! So was racking my brains for how I might find this out - much appreciated!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Glad to be of help. BTW if you are interested in collecting 'June and School Friend' philcomics auctions have a lot of early issues up at the moment although, sadly, not the first.

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

Yep I've been immersing myself in eBay today - great to see so many circulating!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Best of luck if you decide to bid.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

shouldn't the british library bid on the stuff they have not got anymore or stuff that was stolen,they must have some sort of budget set aside.

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

It's a good point - I will ask if they intend to try and get it! Seems v odd as they have everything else... I wonder if it has been misfiled, e.g. under June (I have this requested for 1965-66 so will wait and see what appears...)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

hypnojoo wrote:It's a good point - I will ask if they intend to try and get it! Seems v odd as they have everything else.
It may well be very disappointing to you, hypnojoo, to learn that there are quite a lot of items that the British Library don't have. Some because their publisher didn't send them a copy on publication, despite it being a legal requirement, and others because they were destroyed by Nazi bombs in WW2. Regrettably, I think you will be wasting your time because if they haven't bothered to replace the destroyed copies at some point in the last seventy-odd years, they are hardly likely to bother now.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

hypnojoo wrote:
Bones/Skeleton Corner 'returns' in M&J #11 (17 July 1991) and runs for the rest of the year. It's flagged as 'the return of a very old friend' or similar, so I suspect will have to go well back in the Judy run to find the earlier appearances of Skeleton Corner. There are lots of puns and ironic commentary! He pops up intermittently in the following years, running for a few months at a time. At the moment I think his last appearance is in M&J #194 (28 January 1995) although there's no formal goodbye (how rude) :-)
!
Yes, Skeleton Corner finished up in M&J #194, even though it wasn't in every issue, quite a long run. Altough I don't know what issue it started in Judy, here's the last episode from Judy #1635.

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

Thanks Peace355! And damn, that's a pretty spooky one...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Altough I don't know what issue it started in Judy, here's the last episode from Judy #1635.
Skeleton Corner started in JUDY 1632 (Apr. 20 1991).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

hypnojoo wrote:Thanks Peace355! And damn, that's a pretty spooky one...
Rendered with great artwork from Oliver Passingham!

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

...just in case it's of interest, June and School Friend is indeed filed under 'June' - I've flagged this to the BL and will add a note to their catalogue listing online.

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

...and thanks Phoenix and Peace, just seen the above start date, looking fwd to reading this!
Last edited by hypnojoo on 08 Apr 2018, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

...and thanks Tammyfan! - it is great art :-)