Was Buddy the best value comic of the last generation?

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

I have a confession to make. Due to my limited finances, and desire to change my mind at frequent intervals, I have only ever placed a firm long term order for five comics. They are: Monster Fun (the first comic I ever read), Krazy (a natural follow on to MF), Cheeky (a natural follow on to Krazy), Fantastic Four (that's another story) and Buddy.

Buddy was not my usual kind of comic. I like humour, and I like exotic adventures, so apart from Jonah and the Wolf of Kabul there was nothing in Buddy that I would normally look at. But I just had to get it because it was such amazing value and well produced! Even though I don't usually go for sports stories or poor-kid-trying-to-survive stories, I read Limp Along Lesley and Buffy every week, along with all the others. I was just amazed at the quality of the writing, the detailed art, and so much packed into so few pages for such a ridiculously low price. I don't remember the details now, but it priced right at the bottom of the range. It was worth the cover price just for my two favourite stories (Jonah and Wolf), and I am notoriously stingy.

So I nominate Buddy as best value comic of the last generation.

I will also add that I now apply the "Buddy Test" to every comic I buy. Is it good value? Tightly written stories, good art, plenty hapening one each page, a ton of material in each issue, and alow price? It's because of Buddy that, even though I really like American comics, I almost never buy them, as their lack of value for money just makes me cringe.

Buddy was amazing.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Possibly...I bought it when it first came out and even then knew a lot of it was reprint/redrawn strips from earlier comics but a delight none the less.Applying the Buddy Test to another comic I would have to nominate Starlord.Okay it cost a bit more than most comics of the time(but it did famously outsell 2000ad!)but from cover to cover it shone like a beacon in the dark of the comics night :P Every story was a classic-Strontium Dog,Ro Busters,Timequake...etc...I'm babbling now.It even spawned its own tribute site http://www.watchthestars.sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/ Ah memories :wink:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

For new material, tight scripting and brilliant art, then I have 3 nominations for the best value comic. Action, the only comic to increase its sales from the initial first issue. 2000AD at any point between 1 and 400, but the price jumps kept getting higher. And last but not least Crunch. All new stories, fantastic art and almot revolutionary (for DCT at least) anti-heroes. Mark Sabor, Bearpaw Jay and Ebony Jones to name but three.

On reflection, I was just a shade too young to get Action first time round, but read 2000AD from the start, but didn't get it as it would have meant giving up on one of the comics that we were getting at the time. But did have the full run of Crunch and re-read them many times.

Reading them now is a revelation as Action and 2000AD still read well, but Crunch feels like a 'safe' version of Action. But in 1979 internet was unheard of so I was more than happy to have my Crunch comics.

Buddy came in after my time and it was aimed at a younger (than I was at the time) audience. So I never bought it and no-one I knew read it so I am now doing a retroactive collection building to find out what I missed.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Earl

Post by Earl »

I liked Buddy (I was about 11 or 12 at the time). I was reading the Marvel UK Spider-Man title by then but remember Buddy fondly. My sister had Emma which had come out a little earlier. I also liked Spike which came out around that era.

Earl.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Spooky or what. Just reading my latest Ebay purchase (250 issues of Victor) and adverts for Buddy pops up in 1981 issues on a regular basis. While the cover character isn't that great, the adverts for the characters are. Plus with artists like McLoughlin and Dorey, you are never onto a loser.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Peter Gray

Re: Was Buddy the best value comic of the last generation?

Post by Peter Gray »

Just been reading Buddy number 88 with Big Daddy story inside.. :D
Billy the cat was quite a shock...very grownup.vandals wrecking a school.

Liked Roul the Warrior good twist the cavemen are in our future
Must get some more Buddy..
Didnt make it to 30th Century comic shop last Wednesday hope to go in a weeks time..