Little Star

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Little Star

Post by Peter Gray »

[img:300:400]http://i8.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/ac/14/9fc7_1.JPG[/img]
Little Star comic for little girls and little boys from 22nd April 1972

Did this take over from Bimbo or run alongside of it...update just found out it did take over....

Baby Crockett was that first a Bimbo strip or Beezer...Al says it first appeared in Bimbo?

From looking at the cover the bus can take you anywhere... 8) just found out its called the magic bus..wonder if they went underwater...other planets...etc...

[img:300:400]http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/94/9c/2997_1_b.JPG[/img]

Any info on the comic...characters inside.....it looks like this was aimed more at girls rather than boys...Bimbos for boys :)

Earl

Little Star

Post by Earl »

I prefer Little Star to Bimbo, always seems to have that little bit more charm.

Kashgar
Guru

Little Star

Post by Kashgar »

Baby Crockett was originally a Beezer character first appearing in the comic in 1956 in No 20 or thereabouts (I'll check). He first appeared in Bimbo in its inaugural issue in March 1961 and then ran in both titles simultaneously. In both cases the artist was always Bill Ritchie.
In 1972 Bimbo ended its run but instead of being amalgamated with another title it was relaunched the following week from No 1 under the title Little Star.
I'll post a list of some of Bimbo's contents later.
To me nursery titles always seem to have a female bias about them by their very nature although compared to it's stablemate Twinkle, which was most definitely aimed at little girls, I suppose you could say Bimbo did have a more unisex air about it.
The Magic Bus strip illustrated is by the artist Tom Kerr who has been discussed quite recently elsewhere in this forum.