I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I agree that the TEMPEST 'double' looks nothing like the original appearance, Alan, an
d is downright puzzling....sure there were sometimes continuity errors in I SPY, but overall it was a great fantasy comic-world that could easily have been stretched out a lot longer than most of the stories actually were; many scenes had to be depicted almost in 'shorthand', out of neccessity...

SPARKY issue 277; MAY 9, 1970:

OPERATION I SPY: 'OPERATION GRAB'; part 4 0f 6:

SUIT NO. 2 and all that....

[/i] Image

above: if it's not one thing it's another! Amongst other things, 1970 had seen MASTERMIND start up WORLD WAR 3, MR X ruling the UK in WESTMINSTER for a brief period, and now an army of renegade ANDROIDS were wreaking havoc in the UK.-------and it's still only MAY of this year!

SYNOPSIS: I SPY has escaped from jail through underground drainage systems, and is on his way to SPY HQ to pick up 'suit number 2' from base, as his original gadget-laden outfit had been dismantled in prison. Stopping off at a convenient manhole cover, he surveys the chaotic scenes of an army of MATIC-MEN, who are pulverising BRITISH FORCES and looting all banks in the nation.

The mysterious quartet behind this ambitious scam are finally revealed:---- MR MASTERMIND, MAHAIREE YOGI, MR TEMPEST and CAMMY FLAGE------who have the captive BOSS SPY at their derelict secret location, where oriental fiend MAHAIREE is in the process of hypnotizing BOSS into planting one of the deadly homing flowers onto I SPY'S second suit [M M sadistically places a second flower into the retuning BOSS' pocket, and waits before releasing a deadly MATIC-MAN.]

above: finally revealed: the sinister quartet of arch-deviants. no flat-screen tellies in 1970!

A seemingly naked I SPY returns to HQ through a handy vent, and enters SUIT NUMBER 2 just as BOSS returns, who places a homing-flower on the shhh!-guy's lapel: BOSS is acting in an inane fashion due to hypnosis, and I SPY duly 'breaks him out of it' with an abrupt handclap. BOSS' memories come poring back, and the dilemmas of the events in EPISODE ONE are duly explained [this was the terrible night in which a demonic MATIC-MAN smashed into SPY HQ, abducted BOSS, and hurled him clean off a cliff].

The following strange events are finally explained:

the freak gale that uprooted the vast tree was likely whipped up by MR TEMPEST;

the strange FRENCHMAN clobbered by the tree and freed by I SPY ---and passed on the deadly homing-flower----was CAMMY FLAGE in disguise;

the figure of 'BOSS' seen thrown off a cliff miles away by the vast robot was actually a dummy;

the damaged interior of SPY HQ and the uprooted OAK were repaired by the MATIC-MEN whilst I SPY was out cold;

------and BOSS was hypnotized by MAHAIREE to act as if all was still 'normal'.

The cold, harsh light of reality beams to the forefront now, as MASTERMIND'S MATIC-MAN homes in on SPY HQ, once again completely obliterating all in it's path, aiming it's lethal sights at the flower on I SPY'S suit: in the nick of time, our hero recognizes the deadly danger, throwing the plant clear where it is effectively vaporised by the rampaging droid. [here. it is revealed for the first time that the MATIC-MEN have tank-like missile-firing devices, which they unleash by holding their 'firing-arms' out level, detatching their hands temporarily, and unleash power-shells]. The sinister robot now automatically homes in on the flower planted on BOSS, who awkwardly fumbles in panic over domestic furniture. I SPY unleashes a power-boxing-glove, which sends BOSS reeling out of harm's way.

Once again, the lethal flower is tossed aside to a safer location, where it is totally obliterated by the unstoppable ROBOT. It's deadly work complete, the MATIC-MAN returns to MASTERMIND'S HQ, where the demented genius rejoices at his returning army of androids, who have successfully neutralized the UK'S armed forces, and are unloading the spoils of the nation's wealth.

A right-rollocking, action-packed bonanza of an episode, played out almost entirely in the seldom-utilized SPY HQ with fantastic anarchic imagery bedazzling the 3 pages of mayhem. Excellent sinister image of MAHAIREE, as he hypnotizes the gormless BOSS [who looks completely blank and vacant as a result]. This episode also serves the dual purpose of explaining many of the mysterious events of the opening episode, however, how MASTERMIND pulled off the fake footage of I SPY 'ransacking the vaults' in the ZORICH BANK on the security FILM is skipped over: presumably this was CAMMY in I SPY disguise, aided and abetted by a MATIC-MAN, whom wrenched the vault-door open.

The terrifying imagery of lethal shell-blasting from a demonic DROID in a domestic setting is a powerful scenario, in a highly-effective, guilt-free outing.

the fact that I SPY has access to a brand-new suit bode well at the time: there must surely be loads of new stories on the horizon! In fact, nothing could have been further from the truth.....

I SPY'S DEVICES: power-rocketed-assisted boxing-glove.

Can I SPY beat the MATIC-MEN? Don't miss NEXT WEEK'S INSTALMENT!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 13 May 2009, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Ep four is a real return to form! There is one `qualm` Why had Mastermind & co not checked with the hypnotised Boss earlier that there wern't any spare suits? I can forgive this as the plot has to evolve with the sending of a Matic Man to destroy said suit... which leads on to I.Spy and Boss following it to the villians H.Q. Can accept that!

The Matic-Men are more `Robotic` to me Rab! I always equate Androids with a `duplicate human` look... as the three simulates in the jail shoukld have been.

That opening panel of the Matic Men laying waste to all in their path is TREMENDOUS!! What A Visual!! The sheer power of the creations is relayed superbly to the reader by Les' wonderfully `action packed` visuals!

Yes indeed! The Matic Men are the ultimate weapon! I figure that for the outside casings of his creations, Mastermind had synthesised a catalytic agent. This, when combined (under the correct conditions) with Tungsten and Titanium, promotes chemical bonding of molecular chains of both; thereby resulting in a alloy that has ten times the hardness and durability of diamond, but is `non-brittle` having both tensile and ductile properties! A virtually indestructible metal!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

By episode four of this story, both my cousin Steve and I were united in our view that this was the greatest ever I.Spy story of all! Though Ep 3 had its faults the storyline was awesome! Eps 4 & 5 are a change of pace to action packed no nonsense adventure!

We were wondering if I.Spy could better the Matic Men as just that single one (in Ep 1) had most certainly had the beating of the Shhhguy! What was also very clear was how much in command of the gang was Mastermind. This was no gathering of equals! He was most definatly the main man of this outfit! It was a sign of how rapidly Mastermind had become a top notch villian that he had the `honour` of bieng I.Spy's last opponent in the run of stories (not that we realised this until the cataclysmic finale).

In fact! Mastermind gets the honour of each series finale in the 1969/70 and both 1971 series-the three finest I.Spy series!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the MATIC-MEN were probably the most sinister, memorable creations in the entire I SPY canon, Alan.....you're right...the term: 'robot' fits the bill better than 'android' does.

SPARKY issue 278: May 16, 1970:

OPERATION I SPY: OPERATION GRAB part 5 of 6:

TIK! TIK! TIK! TIK! TIK! I Spy will have to act-----QUICK!

above: the UK has been ransacked of it's riches by MASTERMIND and his dubious crew.

SYNOPSIS: MASTERMIND'S demonic Robots are filling the coffers of their creator's hideaway pile, having simultaneously looted the bulk of the country's riches........M-M is also convinced that I SPY'S 'second suit' has also been wiped out [as way of precaution] as illustrated by live CCTV pictures depicting a smoking SPY HQ. However, I SPY and BOSS had successfully escaped the deadly range of the rampaging ROBOT'S shellfire, and are now following the returning tinhead to MASTERMINDS lair......from a safe distance!

The MATIC-MAN'S sensor devices detect it is being followed, however, and it turns rapidly, dispensing SHELLFIRE on the hapless followers..... I SPY'S ''patent shell sender-backer' returns the favour, but this metal marvel can halt a shell with it's mere fist! A very old I SPY gag [from back in the single-page days] is wheeled out: that of the 'insta-forest', which sprout from super-fast seeds. The vast automaton simply clears these trees via powerful karate-chops, which inspires I SPY to change tactics: a deft manouvere courtesy of his super-saw unicycle speedily cuts a one-foot thick hole in the tarmac, causing the colossus to plummet beneath the road.

In no time, the metal maniac smashes up through the tarmac, but I SPY has 'bought time' and has prepared 'inflatable life-sized clockwork models' of himself and BOSS, which have created a convincing pair of decoys, which the ROBOT blasts to KINGDOM COME. Following the MATIC-MAN from an extremely safe distance, I SPY'S telescopic capabilities single out a distant 'derelict' castle, which could indeed be MASTERMIND'S secret operations base! A motorcyclist is viewed leaving the castle grounds [passing the returning MATIC-MAN] and I SPY recognizes him as CAMMY FLAGE-----in the guise of a police motorcyclist. Our hero's 'super-saw mark 2 fells a tree in no time, engulfing CAMMY, and yielding a whole bagful of deadly homing-flowers.

BOSS nervously points out that it's extremely dangerous to be in possession of these target recieving-flowers: -----and his fears are justified! SIX ---or is that seven?----of the lethal MATIC-MEN are homing in on the deadly flowers, clearly tuned into search-and-destroy mode!

above; the last official cliffhanger of the LES BARTON era.

MORE dramatic mayhem, in which the action never stops to pause for reflection. The design of the MATIC-MEN'S larger-than-life prescence gives them the edge over DR WHO- like robots, inasmuch as they are too large to be the usual .men-in-suits' we are so tired of seeing! The MATIC'S reprise in a later 1971 story featuring BRIAN WALKER artwork featured vast-in-scale robots again, but these earliest versions remain the definitive, all sinister, silent menace and eerily- detached danger.

The scene where CAMMY is sent out to plant the homing-flowers into POLICE STATIONS [presumably] is a very brave scenario for a comic like SPARKY in 1970: the presumption being: now that the ARMED FORCES have been wiped out by the deadly robots, the last line of law-and-order: the POLICE------are earmarked for destruction, paving the way for total lawlessness in the UK. Pretty heavy stuff!

I SPY'S DEVICES:'patent shell sender-backer', 'super-fast-growing oak seeds, unicycle super-saw, telescope, and 'circular super-saw. mark 2'.

'NEXT WEEK-----the FINAL BATTLE!' -----and it really IS, this time!

coming up before then: 'build your own actually-working I SPY!'
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 16 May 2009, 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Two nice touches of humour in what is basically the somberest of stories! (1) The amazed householder who discovered the full trunk of a tree (despatched by Matic Man) through his Kitchen window! (2) The bemused look on a birds face as it is left in mid-air (still in its nest) via I.Spy felling tree to stop Cammy.

A truly action packed episode which reinforces just how powerful the Matic Men are! Mind you! I.Spy has to pull his punches a bit, `cos' if he actually were able to disable Matic Man then he loses the chance to follow it to villians H.Q.

Another discrepancy in final panel! The Matic men are set on destroying Flowers = I.Spy, who has them. Puzzling? Why? Well, we know these flowers are `retrieval` ones because Cammy was to plant them in banks etc. I can only summise that Matic Men have a `pattern` recognition system, whereby they ignore brain waves (taken by Mastermind) of the four villians if they are holding flowers; but! if any other person has flowers (though they should be retrieved) the Matic Men automatically recognise brain patterns as `non friendly` and attack! Seems logical!

Little did readers know that episode five was to lead into a breathtakingly cataclysmic finale!! Sure! I was expecting a great finish to the story... but I had no idea it would end the way it did!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The final chapter in this story is indeed a crucial milestone in the I SPY saga, Alan, and for a few months at least, it wasn't even certain the strip would ever return! Chapter six and it's explosive elements is coming up in a special in-depth study on here before too long......

------back just to back-track to the last-discussed episode [278], that particular issue had a very unusual 'bonus' for I SPY fans that week in 1970: after the usual 3-page instalment ended, the unsuspecting reader turned the page and was greeted by a half-page of SAM'S SNAKE, and below that there appeared this welcome novel item:

above: artist unknown; possibly THOMSON in-house artist JIMMY GLEN? ---it doesn't seem to be by LES BARTON, at any rate.

I did actually construct this version of 'my very own working I SPY' all those years ago, even if it meant me cutting up a cool frame on the other side......today, of course, good copies of this sort of thing can be obtained digitally without harming the actual original, but back in 1970, I would have to have spent 5 old pennies on a second issue of SPARKY, and that five pennies would more than likely have gone on a BEEZER or something instead.

luckily for me, the comics I purchased years later had the artwork intact: I was dreading discovering this element missing, however!

-------this sort of thing is perhaps a SPARKY version of a long-running BEANO puppet series that began in 1967......here's an example of the first-ever entry in this field:

in reterospect, a SPARKY version of this idea would have been pretty cool, with puppet versions of KLANKY, PUSS n' BOOTS, L CARS and all the rest having great puppet potential. [who needs computers? we made our OWN entertainment back in them days!]

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Today! Rab, we know that the I. Spy strip was obviously a great sucess. Back in 1970 I had little idea of its popularity with the general readership. We see now that the comic gave it a `Richenbach Falls" (bet I spelt that wrong!) `Sherlock Holmes, type ending!

reading issues 280 to 299, there is feedback from readers wanting to know what happened to I.Spy, hence the `clues` on the comics logo issues 296 to 300.

Reading your synopsis of ep five Rab- I realised that we -back in 1970- saw completely different reasons for Cammy dressed as a Policeman when off to deliver more flowers! I never ever thought it might be a ploy to wipe out police! I always believed (and still do) that Cammy's policeman guise was to enable him to access Banks /Building societies etc!

This story is unique in how it leaves to the reader to fill in some of the plot! eg `I.Spy` robbing the Zorich bank! Doctor `Quack` was never actually positivly stated to be Cammy either! yes! this story entertains on a higher cerebral level and it (apart from bits of ep three) stands the test of time superbly!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Carrying on with my theme of how `Operation I. Spy / Grab` left room for the reader to think, I highlight a truly subtle bit of plot development in the final episode!

This is when I. Spy has gained access to Masterminds H.Q via chimney! He deliberatly drops the bag of `homing flowers` so that the villians spot them! Back in 1970, I thought this daft as surely he is giving his position away!

However! I now see the subtle nuance to this. I.Spy has to take a gamble that villians might search for whomever planted flowers on them. He has to gamble because if it is not shown it is the position of the flowers making Matic Men fire on H.Q then Mastermind & Co on recalling Matic Men would start investigative repairs thinking an internal fault was at fault! Thus I.Spy and Boss could not then implant explosives into Matic mens casings!

I.Spy has to show the flowers; hence the gang knowing someone waylaid Cammy for them and deposited them in hope of killing the gang by their own creations! He correctly guessed that the gang reckoned the `saboteur` deposited flowers and made off! (Not risking getting killed).

Though Matic Men are still all recalled while the gang think over events! there is no repairs instigated on Matic Men now as gang know it was the placing of the flowers-and not an internal fault!

This is a truly subtle and sophisticated piece of plotting that obviously sailed over the heads of its 10 to 15 year readers (me included). Another reason why I rate this story so highly!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

above: the innocuos, innocent-looking cover of this edition of SPARKY gives absolutely no indication of the explosive, mature comic instalment inside.

SPARKY: ISSUE 279, may 23, 1970.

OPERATION I SPY/OPERATION GRAB: concluding, sixth instalment.

------seeing this is the final chapter in the original LES BARTON-penned drama [and especially as it is perhaps the most memorable episode in the strip's history] I am taking the unusual step of running the entire concluding instalment,----run over two seperate postings---- where I will be combining the comic-frames with my own concurrent synopsis.

This episode was especially unusual, inasmuch it ran for an unprecedented four pages: no big deal today, but back in 1970, this was quite possibly the first time such a length had ever been assigned to a so-called 'funny' story in a THOMSON comic. [I write 'so-called funny' as this chapter plays out more like a sinister drama, with it's intensely downbeat tone.]

I SPY plays Santa Claus...........and gives Mastermind a deadly gift!

in a brilliantly-executed 'splash'-like opening, I SPY and BOSS----who are holding the 'homing flowers' that the search-and-destroy MATIC-MEN are programmed to obliterate-----are under deadly seige by a group of the lethal MATIC-MANIACS.

I SPY tosses the bag of lethal flowers to a less-than-willing BOSS, and assembles his handy patent everything-proof brolly, which has never been needed as much as it is right here! The sinister ROBOTS start pummeling in the shield with deadly force.

upscaling their artillery mechanisms into SHELL-BLASTER mode, this forces our heroes to cower beneath their reinforced shield, and concoct a desperate, last-hour plan. The strengthened brolly is straining under the assault! Just at the point where their shield is about to give way under the relentless barrage, I SPY shifts into spring mode---complete with the bag of flowers-----and rocket-powers towards the near-distant crumbling abandoned CASTLE, which is the centre of operations for MASTERMIND and his sinister co-horts, and which doubles as the secret factory required to assemble the almost-indertuctible MATIC-MEN, who are at this point homing in on I SPY'S flower-targets, BLASTING all in their path to KINGDOM COME.

I SPY enters MASTERMIND'S lair via chimney-stack, which takes a devastating shell-hit, which I SPY only just escapes.

The MATIC-MEN advance towards the target-area, assaulting their creator's lair. Inside the crumbling castle, MASTERMIND, MAHAIREE and MR TEMPEST reel in terror at the devastating assault wreaked by their own ROBOTS!

I SPY descends the vast internal chimney-stack, perilously dodging all-out shellfire, but ultimately succeeding in his goal: to deliver the deadly batch of homing-flowers into MASTERMIND'S lair. Realizing that they are under attack from their own robots, the villains switch off the MATIC'S power. Meanwhile, BOSS-------still outdoors------views the robots switching off, and prepares to enact his part in a pre-arranged plan. I n the ruins of the seiged quarters, MAHAIREE and TEMPEST confront the visibly perplexed MASTERMIND, demanding to know why his robots have 'malfunctioned':

The sense of impending DOOM that permeates this final instalment is grim indeed, with the only noticable 'light relief' throughout the hyper-charged events being I SPY'S 'Santa Claus' reference, and the frame where the refined MASTERMIND is thrown head-first into a waste-paper basket. The scenes inside MASTERMIND'S castle lair as it is under heavy assault is reminiscent of HITLER'S last days in the BERLIN BUNKER, as the all-out warfare that has been launched is finally turning the tables around again. Excellent drama as MAHAIREE and TEMPEST turn on MASTERMIND----who loses his usual confident cool--------after the catastrophic events have instilled a sense of claustrophobic paranoia. GREAT STUFF!

[part two, next posting]------in which the final events take on devastating, apocalyptic characteristics.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Tempest has lost his east european accent! Mahairee is now no longer a "Quivering Curry Plants" type character. Seemingly, his beard is no longer prehensile for this far more serious outing!

I hope you read my dissection of part of this story Issshpsy guy -Rab! I feel the deliberate dropping of the flowers for crooks to see is a extremely subtle bit of plotting (as I explained in my post prior to this synopsis Pt 1) that is a perfect example of how complex and cerebral much of the storyline of "Operation I.Spy / Grab" is.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I read all your comments on here, Alan: never fear!

SPARKY number 279: MAY 23, 1970:

OPERATION I SPY/OPERATION GRAB: pages 3 and 4 of concluding [sixth] part.

The end of the Matic-men!

MASTERMIND and his lackeys finally tumble that the lethal 'homing flowers have been planted by someone which has caused the ROBOTS to target the castle. All robots in the vicinity are recalled to base, and switched off again, as the demented trio depart to another room to confer. I SPY emerges from the fireplace [where he has been hiding] to greet BOSS, who has earlier removed the inner-workings of one MATIC-MAN, enabling him to disguise himself--and gain entry ------inside oneof the robot's steel casings.

above; MR TEMPEST'S tunic has evidently shortened from the maxi-length version of his previous tale!

I SPY and BOSS quickly wire up the dormant MATICS with powerful dinamite, in an attempt to destroy the entire legion of facistic robots. MASTERMIND, meanwhile, has requested that MAHAIREE return to the main room to pick up a hanky------on the way, the oriental fiend spots the pair wiring up the robots. YOGI atempts to raise the alarm, but is temporarily K-O'D by a rocket-propelled BOXING-GLOVE from I SPY. The shhh! guy now rapidly ushers BOSS from the scene, uncerimoniously boting him clean out of the window, in the process!

MASTERMIND grows impatient with MAHAIREE'S delay, and goes to find him........he finds him recovering from the blow he has received, and reveals to his chief that I SPY and BOSS are at large. I SPY, meanwhile, is just finishing wiring up the explosives, and hurriedly departs the scene.......

-----BUT!!: at that precise second, MASTERMIND throws the MASTER-SWITCH, ----unaware that his creations are rigged up with powerful explosives. An instant later, the entire booby-trapped shebang erupts in an almighty, devastating blast, completely blowing apart MASTERMIND'S inglorious lair. BOSS surveys the total destruction wrought, and departs the grim, apocalyptic scene, as it is quite clear that nothing, or anyone-----not even I SPY---- could have survived a BLAST of this magnitude, for the CASTLE is a smoking, completely-obliterated ruin.

above: is that the spectre of I SPY himself looming over the final frame?

the original series sure went out with a BANG alright, but not quite in the way I hoped it would! The charged events in this conclusive LES BARTON episode marks the grimmest chapter in the entire spy-saga, and reading this story in 1970 was very emotional indeed, and I re-read it many times, originally, hanging onto this comic in particular for as long as I could. At the time it seemed unreal: I SPY was clearly 'dead', and the series had most definately ground to an abrupt, conclusive halt: how on earth could something as great as this comic-strip suddenly cease to be?

I reasoned that perhaps the scriptwriter [PETER CLARK, unknown to me then] had run out of ideas, but this seemed unlikely, given that the writer clearly possessed an untiring imagination. I SPY'S demise in the call of duty----as he bravely saves BOSS and remains to complete his work, that of saving the UK from near-rule by MASTERMIND and his cronies-----is touching indeed, and the loss of this character at the time has been compared , in terms of comic-tragedy, to the blinding of BLACK BOB.

The conclusion of the BARTON/CLARK stories saw the closing of the series' finest work, in my view.........an overview of the series in general will follow shortly.

I SPY'S DEVICES: everything-proof brolly, power-spring, internal rocket-engine, powered boxing-glove.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 23 May 2009, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

It was a finale that had me reeling! I just could not believe that I. Spy might be no more! I got to work in composing a letter to the Sparky offices.

I stated how much I had enjoyed the entire I. Spy series and especially the final tale! I pleaded for it's return and stated that I was sure that I wasn't the only reader writing in this fashion to Sparky. I stated that surely it would be a strange thing to end such a popular character as I. Spy (though I could not be certain in 1970 I was the only fervant fan of the series).

About three weeks later I received a very kind reply signed by editor Ian Chisolm (gosh! I wish i'd kept it!) He thanked me for my comments and informed me the Sparky office `had indeed` recieved many similar letter to mine.

He continued by saying that though he could not give away advance news of the comics stories, that if I could remain a loyal reader that I just may be rewarded! he could not elaborate further on that. I felt with that reply, that maybe I. Spy had a chance!

Regarding ep six! What an incredible finish to the Les Barton era. Mastermind and his allies presented I. Spy with his greatest ever challenge and pushed him to the very edge! Even Mr X never ran him that close! Along with Ep one, Ep six, to me, is the greatest single episode of the I. Spy series!

I have to take issue on one point Rab! :wink: the Matic-Men casings! Ordinary steel would have never stood up to Army / Airforce armaments for long; or to I. Spy's weaponry! I contend they had the Tungsten / Titanium alloy as devised by Mastermind! Yes!! definatly! :wink: :wink: :wink:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Looking back over "Operation I. Spy" reveals a few interesting things!

Firstly, for the only time in his adventures, I. Spy sets out to `kill` his enemies!! In taking the decision to blow up matic men via explosives placed `inside` their casings, I. Spy surely knew he would most likely be killing Mastermind, Tempest & Mahairee too! He had already injured (if not killed!) Cammy by felling a tree on top of him! The tree did not block Cammy's path, it poleaxed him!

I realise that I. Spy had little choice in method for dealing with matic men due to their invulnerability from external attack! But, his method used meant a near certain death sentance for Mastermind & Co!

Second point of interest - By end of story Boss is `Last Man Standing! All other major participants in the battle dead or badly injured! I. Spy and Mastermind seemingly dead; Tempest and Mahairee near certainties. Cammy is at least badly injured due to having whole tree fall on him while he is travelling at high speed! Might also be a fatality! Yes! quite a lethal story was the final one!

Regarding the villians `performance`. Mastermind proved to be every bit as deadly as Mr X in "Operation I. Spy / Grab". His plan is by far the greatest challenge to I. Spy and brings him to his lowest ebb!

Mastermind was most clearly the leader of the outfit with the other three very deferential to him (for the most part). He got Tempest and Cammy out of jail; his matic men were the `power tools` of his plan and he devised the means of breaking I. Spy! The scene where he gets Mahairee to go on an errand for his mislaid Hanky, showed his authority within the group.

Cammy Flage became a true asset to Mastermind in this story! He was the Frenchman, the Doctor and `I. Spy`. He was also best equipped to place the homing flowers in Banks, etc with his disquises as Law officers or Bank officials to gain access. Cammy made a far better showing in this story than his debut! He placed one of the CCTV (external) cameras so gang could follow plans progress!He was definately a team player!

Mahairee! Only supposition-but my guess is he helped smuggle in components to the Jail for Mastermind to aid escape! Mahairee was crucial in the hypnotising of Boss; he also got Boss to surrepticiously place CCTV inside Spy H.Q and courtroom! Again, a guess, but I reckon Mahairee hypnotised manager of Zorich Bank to forget all after the gang got details of internal security camera from him! Mahairee became a far more credible character in this story and was another asset to Mastermind!

Mr Tempest! Seemingly, he added little to the gang's assets. He caused the tree to carefully fall on Cammy/Frenchman-though a matic man could have accomplished this! However! my guess is Tempest would be essential for defence! How? well, sooner or later the authorities would eventually trace the H.Q via careful following of returning matic men!

The matic men could easily hold off (and destroy) any land based assaults! As Mastermind obviously had contingancy plans for such reprisals. Air attack though would be a bigger problem. High altitude bombers could get above matic men shell-fire range! This is where Mr Tempest comes in. His weather devise could easily hold off air based assaults, say, Fog, Hurricane, Storm, Snow etc! He would be vital for defence of the H.Q.

A truly formidible team! This is why `Operation I. Spy / Grab` is -for me- such an outstanding finale to the Les Barton era! I can think of no other storyline that could provide such a captivating end to the 1969/70 series! The "Sgt Pepper" of the season.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

wow----you've got it all sussed, Alan! Well pointed-out that I SPY himself never actually clapped eyes on mainman villain MASTERMIND throughout the entire tale: he got pretty close mind, when he was stuck up the chimney in the crumbling lair in the final episode.

Now, before I do a listing of the LES BARTON episodes, I would like to address a couple of suggestions mentioned on here [or elsewhere on the site] earlier;

---first up, MEDDLESOME MATTY drawn by JAMES MALCOLM: this was a female SPARKY character which was unusual inasmuch as she was fairly attractive for a THOMSON comic-character: keyhole kate or pansy potter just don't cut it!:

It has been suggested that this character has a passing resemblence to 90s 'pin-up babe' MELISSA MESSENGER, and here is the gal in question:

you understand I had to go through the unpleasant task of trawling through reams of MM pics all in the line of duty........

-----yes, there is a resemblance that I can see.

and now, credit where credit's due:

IT has been pointed out that legendary ODHAMS character the CLOAK was, in fact, a prime inspiration for I SPY. I have always intended placing some images of this strip on here to compare-n-contrast, but lack of material prevented me from doing this----until now!

MIKE HIGGS [not Higgins!] flamboyant spystrip certainly predated THOMSON'S perhaps more celebrated strip: it debuted in 1967 'POW!' [in number 19, I think] and there are many similarities: a black-shrouded central figure, colourful, exotic villains........and the CLOAK himself even has internal blaster-rockets that he launches from within his hat! ----very I SPY-like!

Another obvious similarity that is clear is the use of the term: versus that was so beloved of the later 'I SPY' series.

Make your own mind up on the similarities between the two strips. I first encountered the wonders of the CLOAK back in early primary-school, when I was 5 or 6. On Friday afternoons, us kids got the afternoon free to play with 60s toys, ---or read stacks of 60s comics. Guess what my preference was! This strip had everything I desired in a comic-creation: style, coolness, and out-and-out fantasy elements:

-----seen today, the CLOAK looks a bit rough around the edges, but there's no denying it's surrealistic power, and sense of lurid dynamism. One of my all-time favourite ODHAMS outings, the overall CLOAK legacy is an irresistable piece of 1960s pop-art, and of equal importance, is a 100% pure fantasy cartoon creation through and through.

many thanks to Alan for supplying the above excellent imagery.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

That photo of Melinda! Just like a grown up Matty! Glad you said it was a photo of Melinda Rab, else I would have been convinced it was somehow a Meddlesome Matty publicity shot! On the `I. Spy File` thread-someone mentioned Matty was a 1950s strip! I am certain the Sparky Matty was 1960s though!

Aaah! The Cloak! He was a firm favourite of mine! He was certainly a `prototype` I. Spy! Sparky copied another Odhams strip! `The Tellybugs` That was transposed as `Ma Kelly's Telly` in Sparky.

Back to the Cloak! His `Boss` or `Chief` as he was called hardly ever appeared unlike Boss from Sparky. However, Cloaky had two assistants who helped him; `Mole` and `Shortstuff`. Later on (from the `Versus the Warlock`story) he was aided by the glamourous (No Sparky strip drew women like Lady S.) `Lady Shady`.

Lady S. got turned to gold at the end of the `Warlock` saga and the editors (Alf, Bart & Cos) waited to see what reader feedback would be, regarding her final fate.

The Readers overwhelmingly demanded Lady S' return and hence- in the final ep of the `Leprechaun` story, the Cloak nicked Leppy's Ray-Gun and used it to bring Lady. S back to life!

My fave `Cloak` eps were the two stories in which he faced a real killer-Deathshead!` Not certain; but I believe Deathshead was the only `returning` Cloak villian, having been an instant success! The strip edged very close to realistic voilence in the second encounter! Deathshead having an air supply beneath his skeletal-like face mask (His costume is of a Skeletal figure, similar to `Who` bassist John Entwhistle would sometimes wear on stage).

Deathshead tries to hold the Cloak underwater (they are battling in an underground river) long enough to drown our hero! This was possible the most graphically voilent scene I have ever seen in ` fun` strip! The Cloak was saved when the river turned into a waterfall as it emerged from the cliff face! Very traumatic!

In some ways, the Cloak was ahead of I. Spy in its portrayal of voilence and female figures! The I. Spy strip though, was most superior in many of its plots, Villians and artwork.