Previously unpublished Hector The Collector strip

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Previously unpublished Hector The Collector strip

Post by stevezodiac »

Back in my teens in the 70s i used to submit artwork to comics but was told it wasn't good enough and to stick to scriptwriting, this is a page I did for Cracker Comic. I had already had one Hector script used so tried again. Unfortunately it was turned down because of the presence of the vicar. Now at last it can be seen. I was probably about 17 when i did this but i'm quite pleased with it. Sorry it's split in two but scanners are A4 and original art was a lot larger.

I spliced the two images together - I hope you don't mind - Al

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Previously unpublished Hector The Collector strip

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I don't see what is so offensive in drawing a cartoon vicar, STEVE.....in any case, it would have taken mere seconds to remove the offending dog-collar...

----your work isn't bad for a 17-year old---do you still draw now? I held onto stuff I did aged 21, and it looks awful!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I open and sort the post in work and find it hard to throw away a white envelope without doing a nice doodle on it first. Have thought about doing a newspaper type strip but it is so hard to think of something that hasn't already been done. Also have ideas for single panel cartoons but never get around to drawing them. (although i have done dozens of roughs of them). In my opinion the easiest strip to do is Andy Capp which practically writes itself as every set revolves around laziness or chauvanism.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I used to make the mistake of trying to emulate proven cartoon successes: about 10 years ago, I was heavily influenced by GARY LARSON'S 'FAR SIDE' gag series, and I spent a few months trying to re-create this type of humour: I was pleased with the stuff I did, but there were simply too many other people who had the same idea, ---and the net result is that the publishers are bored of looking at 'clone' work.....

-----some cartoonists manage to sustain an entire career emulating another style, but those who strike true gold come up with something that is unique-----you then have the twin hurdles of : a] impressing an Editor , and b] pleasing the public----------

I certainly agree that it is alot tougher to come up with a new angle that hasn't been covered already....I also do loads of roughs [this is where true creativity lies] and I plan starting some 'new' [the ideas are months old] inkings shortly......if I go all quiet on here, you will know I have reached for the bottle of black india ink again!