Classics of the Beano 70 years next Month..end of July

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Classics of the Beano 70 years next Month..end of July

Post by AndyB »

The "Best of" Beezer and Topper quarterlies continued until 1996, being succeeded by Classics from the Comics as of March 1996. How time flies!

Raven

Post by Raven »

dandy mad wrote:The beezer/topper ran from 15/09/90 to 21/08/93 when it just ended

There was an announcement of some sort, surely?

Or a big pic of everyone waving goodbye?

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I think there was an important message from the editor at the top of the front cover ive been trying to get mine to scan but it seems to have gone missing but from memory there wasnt much of a sendoff for it

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Great News Inside Pals!!!

From Next Week All Beezer & Topper Readers Will Have An Extra 35p Spending Money!!! :D

- Phil R.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The combined Beezer & Topper ran for 153 issues and, without going to look for it (which is probably a lazy mistake I'll later regret) I seem to remember that the only strip in the last issue that referenced the fact was 'Sting' in which the bee that put the 'B' in Beezer went around lamenting the fact that he wouldn't be able to sting any of his Beezer & Topper pals anymore. Also, off the top of my head the Best of Beezer/Best of Topper both ran for either 30 or 31 issues.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Thanks kashgar thats that mystery solved

David

Post by David »

It seems a bit hard to buy Classic From The Comics.
I don't usually buy it but I wanted this issue as I wanted to draw some old Beano characters, plus I wanted to actually read it too!
I searched all my local shops (I live in Salford), and several not so local shops, I ended up walking to Manchester Arndale Centre. Thought it may be in WHSmith. So I looked on the comic shelves, but I couldn't find it. I was just about to leave when I thought I'd look behind other comics to see if it was there.
It was, several copies of it, so I finally managed to get hold of it. :D

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Kashgar wrote:The combined Beezer & Topper ran for 153 issues and, without going to look for it (which is probably a lazy mistake I'll later regret) I seem to remember that the only strip in the last issue that referenced the fact was 'Sting' in which the bee that put the 'B' in Beezer went around lamenting the fact that he wouldn't be able to sting any of his Beezer & Topper pals anymore. Also, off the top of my head the Best of Beezer/Best of Topper both ran for either 30 or 31 issues.
In the final Fred's Bed, the bed exploded, though I can't remember if that was in the final issue or not. David Parkins was moving on to do Desperate Dan for the Dandy, I think. It's all so long ago now...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've looked in every shop I happen to be in and still haven't seen the Beano special issue of Classics... Could someone be so kind as to scan the cover onto this forum so at least I can "see what I would have won"? I could venture to North London but don't have a passport. If anyone can tell me definitely where I can find a copy in London i might mosey on over there but I don't drive so a slog on the oxo (tube). (just imagined everyone leading me on a wild goose chase out of sheer sadism).

Breaking News: Indiana Jones 5 announced - Indiana Jones and the Hunt for Classics from the Comics.

News at Ten: And finally reports of a London man seen peregrinating hither and yon across the capital muttering to himself something about a comic he has to have. His employers are concerned about his wellbeing and also about his backlog.

parp parp! that's my cab, i may be gone a while.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... naces.html

It looks like that!

Also Smith's tend to put it up quite high on the comic section for some reason. Any larger branch i would expect to still have it, unless a new issue is out now.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

You could try your local tescos.asda ect i got mine from asda and got 20p off the cover price

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Classic Comics wrote:In the final Fred's Bed, the bed exploded, though I can't remember if that was in the final issue or not.
Well that's one strip The Beano didn't use. I thought they'd exhausted them. Unusable I suppose, since they carried on the strip with new episodes.

(Yes I know, old thread bump up, but Fred was still being reprinted at the time this thread was last active)

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

If they ever drop Fred's Bed from the Beano (hopefully not for a long time, it's a very funny strip) they could always reprint that one! :)
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Actually, I think that Fred's Bed must have started in early 1992. The last strip obviously wasn't used (the caricature of the England football team was also mentioned as a reason why that story wasn't used), but when it was still reprints in the Beano, Lew filled in for the Xmas issue in 2007. This tells me that there was only one Xmas strip in the Beezer and the Topper - this strip was reprinted in the Xmas issue of the Beano in 2008.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Jonny Whizz wrote:Lew filled in for the Xmas issue in 2007. This tells me that there was only one Xmas strip in the Beezer and the Topper - this strip was reprinted in the Xmas issue of the Beano in 2008.
Possibly. My strip wasn't originally done with the Christmas issue in mind. By the time it saw print the dialogue was changed from the script I worked on in order to refer to Christmas so you could be right.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/