Topper Nancy

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Topper Nancy

Post by Peter Gray »

Image the Topper star is still going strong.. :)

Image could you imagine this in a childrens comic now :D

anyway its nice the new version..

stevezodiac

Re: Topper Nancy

Post by stevezodiac »

I always liked Nancy in the Topper. It was Ernie Bushmiller's nice clean style. I have a Fritzi Ritz US comic from the 40s or 50s here somewhere. I must admit to having a fondness for the US Sunday funnies sections, they are as close to our comics as the yanks will ever get. Wish they were available here.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

My goodness! Nancy has certainly filled out well! She's the spitting image of her auntie Fritzi Ritz.
Nancy, who had first appeared as the niece of ditzy girl about town Fritzi Ritz in the latters own strip in 1933, was the star of her own daily strip by the end of the decade. Enormously popular with the public Nancy was syndicated in hundreds of newspapers and arrived in the pages of Topper in No1 (7/2/53) and stayed without a break until No 1111 (18/5/74). Her auntie Fritzi's Sunday page was also featured in the Topper for the comics first 99 issues and both were drawn, throughout their tenure in the Topper at least, by Ernie Bushmiller (1905-1982) whose name was proudly displayed beneath the title of each episode.
As is often the case with something that was so popular with the public the Nancy strip, certainly in America, became vilified as epitomising everything that was staid and dull in the comic strip form by the comic strip tyros that came along in later years.
Personally though, as a kid I enjoyed Nancy's strangely, 'alien' appearances in Topper, certainly more than the other US import 'The Captain and the Kids' by Rudolf Dirks which was retitled The Bustem Boys on Bunkum Island Nos 305 (6/12/58) - 595 (27/6/64) and Tales from Bunkum Island Nos 923 (10/10/70) - 954 (15/5/71). And I was too young to have seen 'Ferd'nand' by Mik (Henning Dahl Mikkelsen), the strip which completed Topper's syndicated comic strip triumvirate, first time around in Nos 100 (1/1/55) - 304 (29/11/58).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

heres the guy Kashgar mentioned...still going strong and a good gag...very hard to be funny without words