Now a subscriber.

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Now a subscriber.

Post by stevezodiac »

I filled in an online sub to Classics at the end of November and have waited patiently since. Imagine my joy when I received three copies in one envelope yesterday. Its a vast improvement on the last issues I saw a couple of years ago. I really like the interaction with the readers as opposed to DCT's usual anonimity. Nice biog of Bill Ritchie this month but just wish we could have a few sentences from the artists themselves - but that's me - never happy. First time i've heard him referred to as Willie Ritchie too. Ironic that his first work was for the Weekly News which is where he now apppears most weeks.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Now a subscriber.

Post by felneymike »

Is it true that 1/2 issues after they did the first Alf Tupper (would have been August?) they have also featured a few text stories from the old storypapers?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

One of those three issues I got contains a real curio - a Bash Street Kids text story from the Hotspur. It has one illo. Mentions them being in class 2c - surely its 2b?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Steve, The Bash St Kids story was actually originally published in the Wizard not the Hotspur and was part of a whole series of Bash St stories featured in the paper in 1955 and illustrated by Leo Baxendale. There was quite a bit of detail in these stories that didn't appear in the Beano comic strip e.g the full names of many of the comic strip characters, and some of these details were indeed at odds with what had been stated in the comic strip up to this time.