What did Alf Tupper really look like?

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

What did Alf Tupper really look like?

Post by stevezodiac »

Saw this advert in a copy of Scoop and it is as if Alex Ross had drawn Alf. Not quite how I imagine him:

And I thought I'd throw in the Morgyn the Mighty ad as well:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What did Alf Tupper really look like?

Post by colcool007 »

For me the definitive look for Alf was that created by Pete Sutherland, especially the one that was him in his overalls and welding goggles as seen here My version of Alf. As an added bonus, I preferred the Antonia Garcia version for Morgyn, rather than Ted Kearon's version, but I do like Ian Kennedy's version of Morgyn (the other Morgyn Red Dagger cover) and I bet that everyone is surprised by me liking that version...Not!

Also as an aside, was it Barrie Tomlinson that drew the Twisty series?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What did Alf Tupper really look like?

Post by Phoenix »

My memories of Alf go back to his first appearance in The Rover in 1949, and the pictorial presentation of him at that time is therefore, for me, the definitive one. James Walker was the artist chosen by Thomsons to illustrate Alf's adventures in all ten serials between 1949 and 1957, so my impression of his appearance was naturally confirmed with every episode. I could only accept the chunkier version in The Victor by persuading myself that he was older and had been affected physically by overindulging in his traditional diet of fish and chips. The attachment here is the header block illustration from the first episode of series 5 in 1952. On the basis that the first presentation is the true likeness, this therefore is what Alf Tupper really looked like.
alfcomicsuk.jpg