The last Beezer and Topper

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

intune

The last Beezer and Topper

Post by intune »

How did the Beezer and Topper end?

Was there warning in the last issue, or did it just fail to appear? Did any strips make an immediate transfer to the Dandy or Beano, or why didn't the comic merge with them?

Digifiend

Re: The last Beezer and Topper

Post by Digifiend »

The comic closed in September 1993, but the strips (namely Numskulls to Beano and Beryl the Peril to Dandy) didn't move until November that year, when the Beano and Dandy became full colour. I'm not sure why it didn't merge with either comic. In fact, in Beano's entire history, the only merger it's had is with Magic Comic in 1941 - and only the annuals ever carried the Magic name and content.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I don't have the last issue of the Beezer and Topper but from what I've read on here the fact that it was the last one wasn't mentioned in most of the strips. However, I think it was meant to be the final issue, as I believe the Beryl the Peril strip ends with her taking a suitcase with 'The Dandy' on it, and Sting uses his last outing to sting all the other characters in the comic as he won't be able to do it anymore. Also, in Fred's Bed the bed explodes at the end of the story, before he returned years later in the Beano - that last strip was the only one that wasn't reprinted when they were reprinting the original Beezer and Topper stories. I'm certain about Fred's Bed but you'd need someone who has or remembers that issue to be sure regarding the other strips.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

steven

Post by steven »

Your luck will be sealed. I have a near complete run of Beezer and Topper comics

intune

Post by intune »

Ooh great. Thanks!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ah, I already responded to your identical post in the David Parkins thread. Thanks again.