Advert for Nutty no.1

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Advert for Nutty no.1

Post by Digifiend »

I don't know, especially since there were Bananaman Annuals dated 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987. Although Bananaman did have a TV show at the time. :?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The Beano came out every Tuesday for much of 2004. However, then it changed back to Wednesday, with no real explanation as to why it had moved to Tuesday in the first place.

Maybe DCT didn't make a Nutty annual because they wanted to see how the comic did first. If they had committed to making an annual, and it didn't sell well, Thomsons would have been at a loss in an era when many comics struggled. A Nutty book wouldn't have had the value to a collector of a Beano or Dandy book (or even a Beezer or Topper book) and many people would not have known what it was.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:I don't know, especially since there were Bananaman Annuals dated 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987. Although Bananaman did have a TV show at the time. :?
I wonder if DCT had a policy whether a comic had to last so long or make so many sales before it was afforded an annual? Since none of their new comics in the 70s and 80s were given an annual (e.g. Cracker, Crunch, Nutty, Hoot, etc). But then again they could have been considered failures since they ultimately didn't last so never warranted one.
Jonny Whizz wrote:Maybe DCT didn't make a Nutty annual because they wanted to see how the comic did first. If they had committed to making an annual, and it didn't sell well, Thomsons would have been at a loss in an era when many comics struggled. A Nutty book wouldn't have had the value to a collector of a Beano or Dandy book (or even a Beezer or Topper book) and many people would not have known what it was.
Certainly a different attitude to IPC who brought out annuals even for comics which didn't even make six months (e.g. Thunder, Starlord, Scream, Tornado, etc). Obviously they must have sold since more than one were often produced.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I find it strange that Nutty never got an annual, because Sparky launched in 1965, and had a 1967 annual - published of course in 1966, the year after it launched. Thus Nutty could've had annuals for 1982-86 (87 was Bananaman's Dandy Book debut, so that one was made after the merger). The others didn't match Nutty's 5 year run though, so probably didn't deserve them.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:I find it strange that Nutty never got an annual, because Sparky launched in 1965, and had a 1967 annual - published of course in 1966, the year after it launched. Thus Nutty could've had annuals for 1982-86 (87 was Bananaman's Dandy Book debut, so that one was made after the merger). The others didn't match Nutty's 5 year run though, so probably didn't deserve them.
Yes but by the 1980s annual sales were falling so perhaps they didn't want to risk it.

Numerous comics never had annuals: Hornet, Solo, Buzz, Hoot, Wizard, to name but five.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Solo doesn't surprise me, since I've never heard of it. :oops:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Hoot only ran for about 53 issues, and Buzz didn't run for much more than 100 or so issues, so it wasn't surprising that they never had annuals.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

SOS

Post by SOS »

I remember getting that issue 1! I remember the spacedust too. sniff. brings a tear to my eye seeing that advert. I wonder what happened to my copy? Didn't they give away an actual Nutty bar in one of the next issues or am I imagining that? :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Solo doesn't surprise me, since I've never heard of it. :oops:
You didn't miss much.

Lew

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Solo is now quite a collectable comic - my mate Steve mentioned that some went for a nice sum on ebay recently. It was trying to be like TV21 printed on photogravure paper and featuring television characters. Only lasted about 32 issues.