Bloopers

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Bloopers

Post by Digifiend »

I know, I just think they should've used one The Beano didn't reprint.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The comic strip quiz didn't work...where does Banana Bunch and Big and Bud fit in the puzzle..leaving out Winker Watson and Lord Snooty...page 18..19..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You're right! The mismatches are in bold

A = Baby Crockett
B = Dreamy Daniel
C = Sheriff Marsh Mallow (Baby-Face Finlayson)
D = Winker Watson

E = Fred the Flop
F = Biffo the Bear
G = Lord Snooty
H = The School Belles
1 = The Banana Bunch (should've been Baby-Face)
2 = Lord Snooty
3 = The School Belles
4 = Fred the Flop
5 = Biffo the Bear
6 = Big and Bud (should've been Winker)
7 = Dreamy Daniel
8 = Baby Crockett

A8 B7 E4 F5 G2 H3

The answers reveal that page 18 was correct and 19 was misprinted. Well spotted!

More mistakes (as already posted in response to AndyB in the new issue thread):

Ball Boy's date is wrong, it says 1976, but Dallas only started drawing that in 1989 - I assume 1996 is the correct date.

Jonah's spotlight says he was in The Beano, The Dandy, The Hornet, and The Buddy. But Buddy didn't use the The prefix.

Snobbs and Slobbs - 1982 Dandy? Should be Nutty.

Desperate Dan 1978 - impossible, he was reprints in that era. Probably 1960s.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I think DC THOMSON should let someone on here who cares about CFTC.
The mistakes they make and it's a reprint as well are shocking.
Come on DCT get your finger out.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

OK, who's Morgan the Mighty? I've heard of Morgyn the Mighty though. I'm referring to the advert for next month's issue. Morgyn will replace Gorgeous Gus.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Apart from the Morgyn/Morgan error the other major mistake in this issue occurs in the biog for Wilson in which it states that he began as a prose story character in the Wizard in 1958! Wilson actually began as a Wizard story paper character a full 15 years earlier in 1943. As I'm writing this from memory I can only assume that the erroneous 1958 reference might have arisen because the original Wilson series was reprinted in that year but I can't remember whether this is true or not off-hand, although I'm sure Derek will be able to verify this either way when he gets the time.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:Apart from the Morgyn/Morgan error the other major mistake in this issue occurs in the biog for Wilson in which it states that he began as a prose story character in the Wizard in 1958! Wilson actually began as a Wizard story paper character a full 15 years earlier in 1943. As I'm writing this from memory I can only assume that the erroneous 1958 reference might have arisen because the original Wilson series was reprinted in that year but I can't remember whether this is true or not off-hand, although I'm sure Derek will be able to verify this either way when he gets the time.
There was a Wilson serial reprinted in 1958, Ray. The details are The Truth About Wilson 1674 (Mar. 15 1958) - 1694 (Aug. 2 1958). However, it was actually an abridged reprint of The Further Truth About Wilson, which originally appeared in 1944/45 and looked at his early life from his birth in the Yorkshire village of Stayling in 1795 and his years on Amberside Moor, to the point where he escaped from the Prussians in 1870, aged 75, and got back to England by swimming the channel. This was, of course, a follow-up to the 1943 serial you refer to, which was called The Truth About Wilson. The confusion arose in 1954 when the picture version of The Further Truth About Wilson was given the title The Truth About Wilson.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Anyone else spot the dodgy riddle on p20? Q What has 22 feet, 4 wings but can’t fly? A Two football teams

Reminds me of the old Pete Cook and Dudley Moore sketch about the one legged actor auditioning for the part of Tarzan

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, should be 44 feet - 2 per player, 22 players. Each team has two wingers - the wings refered to in the joke - and obviously they don't fly. Well spotted.

They also said on the contents page "Doctor Who audio games" competition - it should be audio books, and is named as such on the front cover and the actual competition page. Even that isn't quite right really though, since they're full cast dramas.

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

Digifiend wrote:They also said on the contents page "Doctor Who audio games" competition - it should be audio books, and is named as such on the front cover and the actual competition page. Even that isn't quite right really though, since they're full cast dramas.
:offtopic1: Doesn't one of the Dr Who audio writers work on the Dandy? I'm sure I saw that online a while ago.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's hard to know. Often the writers at DCT are anonymous, as they're not usually credited like the artists.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

RamblingSid wrote:
Digifiend wrote:They also said on the contents page "Doctor Who audio games" competition - it should be audio books, and is named as such on the front cover and the actual competition page. Even that isn't quite right really though, since they're full cast dramas.
:offtopic1: Doesn't one of the Dr Who audio writers work on the Dandy? I'm sure I saw that online a while ago.
Actually there are two, both of us now on the Beano, although I was one the Dandy when the first one was written so what you read would have been right at the time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They should've proof read the Barrie Appleby article. It refers to Kojack and Slojack. Neither should have a C. I liked the joke used in the same answer though - "That was another Cracker of a strip".

RamblingSid

Post by RamblingSid »

Digifiend wrote:They should've proof read the Barrie Appleby article. It refers to Kojack and Slojack. Neither should have a C. I liked the joke used in the same answer though - "That was another Cracker of a strip".
I think the Cuddles page in the Barry Appleby section was actually drawn by Steve Bright. And Spotted Dick was usually drawn by John Aldridge, wasn't it?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Cuddles title header looks like it was drawn by somebody else, but the story itself does look like Barrie's version of the character. I guess you got the Spotted Dick artist name wrong - I just looked up John Aldridge and found a footballer, a cricketer, and an artist (and that's gallery art, not comics).