the Beezer blog

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: the Beezer blog

Post by stevezodiac »

I think we've established that Beezer sized bags are hard to come by but I think a forum member found some on ebay. I thought i'd found some food bags which accommodated them but while they were wide enough they only came halfway up the comic. I now use those bags sideways for Diana sized comics instead. I have quite a few 50s and 60s Beezer but as I am as fond of it as you I won't be selling them anytime soon but I will dig out some 70s and 80s doubles and put them on ebay.

BeezerNostalgic

Book Of The Beezer on Ebay!

Post by BeezerNostalgic »

There are currently 4 'The Book Of The Beezer's on EBAY! They are from phil-comics and are reprints not originals but look well made! :D

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I was just thinking, does anyone know when exactly Pop Dick & Harry replaced Ginger on the front cover of the Beezer & when did Ginger get it back.

And when exactly was Ginger replaced for the last time, by I think it was True Brit?

toxteth o'grady

Post by toxteth o'grady »

Ginger was on the cover 1-33
Pop, Dick and Harry 34-321
Baby Crocket 322-335
Pop, Dick and Harry 336-456
Ginger 457-1650

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

True Brit was removed (axed outright?) sometime between February and October 1988, with a splash cover showing the whole cast being used for a while. By February 1990, Adrian the Barbarian had taken over as cover star. Final Topper cover star Beryl the Peril was the initial cover star of the merged Beezer and Topper, but was quickly replaced by Geezer.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks for the info, esp your list Toxteth.

I'm guessing in terms of years it would be:

Ginger 1956
P, D & H: 1956-1962
Baby Crockett 1962
P,D & H: 1962-1964
Ginger 1964-mid-80s

Blimey I never knew Baby Crockett had a brief stint on the front cover - but the fact that he did get the front cover of some Beezer annuals around that time was a sure sign of his popularity (and he'd go on the ace himself (in tamer form) onto the front cover picture of both Bimbo & Little Star nursery comics).

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Yeah I can remember Hadrian's fables taking over (with the trogs in it), I think after a stint where the front cover had a big picture with assorted Beezer characters in a situation (like on the annuals).

I remember the second edition of Beezer & Topper has a picture of the unfunny Des Troy in a racing car advertising the free gift.

I remember the Del Boy like geezer later taking over & being the main face of B&T.