Sparky People?

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Sparky People?

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Knowing Nigel personally I didn't see any temper outburst in his post. Without hearing tone or seeing facial expressions the internet is notorious for giving people the wrong impression.
I fail completely to see how the fact that you know Nigel can so distort your vision that it prevents you from seeing the obvious fact that when writing his post he was in a strop. There's none so blind as them as just won't see is an expression I recall from my Lancashire childhood, Lew. Another thing you might consider is that while I agree with you that hearing tone or seeing facial expressions can usually give us an accurate impression of a person's mood, Nigel has clearly accepted that he cannot make his point in that way and has therefore chosen to use the only facilities available to him on a written post for expressing his views forcibly, principally increasing the size of his font. Had he used smilies, he would only have been suggesting his mood. Transferring to a big font size, and indeed capital letters, at strategic points, is a clear indication of the strength of his annoyance. This is a friendly forum and frankly we can do without the need to resort to temper and anger to get our point across. Some logic wouldn't go amiss either.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Knowing Nigel personally I didn't see any temper outburst in his post. Without hearing tone or seeing facial expressions the internet is notorious for giving people the wrong impression.
I fail completely to see how the fact that you know Nigel can so distort your vision that it prevents you from seeing the obvious fact that when writing his post he was in a strop. There's none so blind as them as just won't see is an expression I recall from my Lancashire childhood, Lew. Another thing you might consider is that while I agree with you that hearing tone or seeing facial expressions can usually give us an accurate impression of a person's mood, Nigel has clearly accepted that he cannot make his point in that way and has therefore chosen to use the only facilities available to him on a written post for expressing his views forcibly, principally increasing the size of his font. Had he used smilies, he would only have been suggesting his mood. Transferring to a big font size, and indeed capital letters, at strategic points, is a clear indication of the strength of his annoyance. This is a friendly forum and frankly we can do without the need to resort to temper and anger to get our point across. Some logic wouldn't go amiss either.
You seem quite angry P, or perhaps I've just misread your tone. :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:You seem quite angry P.
No, just pedantic as usual.
Lew Stringer wrote:I could be wrong though.
And indeed you are. Again! :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:We'll let you off though. If you buy The Dandy for your lad. Try him with a Toxic as well. He might like it. :cheers:
Heh, you're only saying that 'cos you're in it! :lol: Although seriously, if people actually did like the feature pages in Xtreme, they probably would enjoy Toxic.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

NP wrote:I believe they have one in Formby. Or somewhere like that. Or did.
Yes they do, NP, I've just consulted their online branch finder. However, I never go there anyway. It's full of conservatives, and professional footballers, who would no doubt also be conservatives if they were ever to lift their snouts out of the treasure trough long enough to figure out what one was.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Returning to the thread's original theme, I've always liked reading the old comics, including Sparky. I'm only familiar with the strips through reading Classics from the Comics, but the Sparky strips I like best are Puss 'N' Boots, Captain Cutler and his Butler, L-Cars and Spoofer McGraw, and I agree that the Sparky People were great.

Also, I agree with Digifiend's suggestion here, putting retired DCT comics and retired Fleetway comics in different sections would be useful, and Classics could go in the DCT section as there's unlikely to be many more posts on it. However, I disagree that the DFC should be merged into another section, because to me it seems to fit into a different category to the other comics, probably because it wasn't DCT or Fleetway.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Only the bit about getting rid of the Classics from the Comics section was my idea. It was AndyB who suggested having separate DCT and Fleetway forums.
AndyB wrote:At one point, we had a subforum for every comic under the sun, but we (I) consolidated them about two years ago because it was too confusing. I still ponder sometimes whether we should have two more subforums, one for retired DCT titles and one for retired Fleetway titles.