DC Thomson Fun-Sizes

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Spencer

DC Thomson Fun-Sizes

Post by Spencer »

As Digifiend has mentioned a couple of times in the Beano thread entitled "New Paper", I too have noticed that there weren't any Fun-sizes where they are usually stacked in Asda either :(

I used to buy these occasionally as a treat for the kids when they had done something good (hence occasionally!) and always used to get them if we were going away somewhere (camping / long car journey / holiday etc). I was hoping they would continue and when they ran out of reprint we could be in a better economic climate to maybe start putting new material in them again.

I hope they haven't been cancelled but I fear the worst.

Can anyone from DCT clarify the situation?

Maybe they are preparing a re-launch - all-new material ??? Yeh, I know, very doubtful - but would love some clarification

stevezodiac

Re: DC Thomson Fun-Sizes

Post by stevezodiac »

Well Commando is still going strong and i'd presume they came from the same printer? Apart from the colour in the Fun Sizes of course.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There was an issue each of Beano Fun-Size and Dandy Fun-Size advertised to come out last week. However, Classics from the Comics issue 175 advertised 176, and we already knew that had been cancelled before 175 came out. That's why I suspect that shops not having the Fun-Sizes means that they've been discontinued. I think I'll tweet them about it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

CONFIRMED! The Fun-Size comics have been discontinued.
@DC_Thomson Can't find Beano and Dandy Fun-Sizes in the shops (Asda, Tesco, WHSmith). Other people say same. Have they been discontinued?
@Digifiend84 Unfortunately, these products were discontinued due to poor sales (& subsequent de-listing from retail stores). Apologies.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Thats a shame. I always had a soft spot for the digest sized Beano and Dandy, although I had to resort to buying them off ebay. Were issues 325 the final ones?

A bunch of them arrived in the post just today. Dandy Fun-size #11 had a great Young Black Bob story with some wonderful art. Curiously though all the comics smell of sickly scented candles... :|

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The ones that came out three weeks ago? Yeah, it appears so. And like Classics, they were cancelled at short notice, they advertised the next issues. :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:offtopic1:
I was updating my comic library list and noticed an oddity. It seems Dandy Comic Library 126 was The Nibblers in Hard Cheese. Surely that should've been a Beano library, as The Nibblers were Beano characters? In every other case I know of, Beano characters only appeared in Dandy libraries (and vice-versa) if it was a team-up (for example Dandy CL 173, Dan the Menace and Desperate Dennis, which featured Desperate Dan and Dennis the Menace) or cameo. :?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

That is pretty unusual. I wonder why that happened?

Looking at your website, I noticed that there was one Beano comic library featuring Bananaman, but that was when he was still a Nutty character (it was one of the earliest ones, so before Nutty and Dandy merged).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There are several Bananaman Beano libraries (8, 24, 38), but once he joined the Dandy, any future Bananaman libraries had the Dandy banner. He was only in Beano libraries when he was a Nutty character. The Wild Rovers, another Nutty story, was in Beano comic library 18. The Nibblers though, were only ever in The Beano, so why they were in a Dandy library I cannot fathom.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

BEANO
Calamity James
Thanks His Lucky Stars

I wonder if Tom ever drew for The comic libraries?

Also the Jonah and Puss and Boots must have been drawn by John Geering :)
He drew Jonah in the early ones..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Pretty sure he did, but I don't know which ones. Any identified artists will be listed on my webpage, so if anyone knows, I'm all ears. Good logic with Geering. If someone can confirm that, I'll note all the Jonah's as being his.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

In response to Peter, I think Andy Fanton (aka Little Squelchy Thingy on these boards) once posted something on here, where he said that he had found a Calamity James Beano Comic Library drawn by the great man.

I think I can also help a bit with the artists - didn't George Martin draw one of the early Dennis the Menace Beano Comic Libraries (Tennis Menace I think). I don't have any comic libraries, but I'm sure I read that somewhere, again probably on here.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

David Gudgeon drew the first one..he drew Jack Daw..his style is a messy fun style..
Love the elephants he drew in this story..
He also drew inside no.27 Desert Island Dennis..
Inside book Walter Softly Softy no.49
keeping up with the softies no.41 also
Dennis the Menace Fun in the Sun Cover David Sutherland inside David Gudgeon

Gnasher Film Star is by David Sutherland
Nervous Rex David sutherland no.86

Minnies Lib 115 Steve Bright cover..Jim petrie inside
also no.75 Jim Petrie Minishing School
and No.91 Minnie Lisa
also Minnie the minx home help no 11

No. 35 Count Whackula George Martin inside
Jonah Gives you that sinking feeling No.48 John Geering
also Bananaman no.38 its a knockabout
and Smudge Whiter than white no.56

Well theres a few names for you.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks! :)

Peter, I've added those artists and am about to upload the updated page. Examples like issue 1 prove that I can't just assume it would be the regular artists, and I didn't even realise some covers are done by different artists to the contents, so good job I didn't try guessing for myself based solely on those.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Heres some more to save time I'll put just numbers up..

Beano

David Sutherland

George Martin
15 (cover not sure)
59 (cover Steve Bright)
43 (first comic work by Steve Bright the cover!)Steve Bright drew this cover.(not the inside bit) one of the first things he drew for DC Thomson 1984.
http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... 31-60.html

Ron Spencer (he has done some great comic libraries!)

John Geering (so has John done some great stuff)

Jim Petrie
37 (cover Tom Williams)

David Gudgeon
57 (cover David Sutherland)

Tom Williams
53 (cover Jim Petrie)
81 (cover not sure)
12 (cover not sure)
46 (cover not sure)
7 (cover not sure.Tom sure drew a lot of Minnies)
58 (cover not sure)
186 (cover by Steve Bright)

There you go..:)