The Topper Beezer Top 100

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: The Topper Beezer Top 100

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Is this what it's come to now? Criticizing a good-hearted forum member on his writing ability? :(
You are quite right, Lew, to draw my attention to my lack of judgement. With the benefit of more mature reflection, I do now wish to apologise publicly to Peter for having made those comments. I have already done so privately. It goes without saying that Peter's good heart was never in question.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

116= The Amazing Peet from Planet K
Paddy Brennan

116= The Barkers (Beezer) (1972-1974)
Art - Watson Kennedy

114= Roly Poly (Beezer) (1967-1969)
Art - Bill Hill

114= Beefy Dan (Beezer) (1984-1986)
Art - John Geering

:wave:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:
Peter Gray wrote:Digfield and myself both responsed to your request.....//.....Both is a great idea...good ideas of you steel..
Is it too much to expect people to express their thoughts clearly, showing at least some acceptance that the English language has rules of grammar? And how is it possible to misspell three times the name of a member with over 3000 posts to his name?
lol, yeah, it's Digifiend, not Digfeld, Peter! :lol:

Seriously though, it's trivial, nothing to worry about.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hope everyone is happy now! Digi: I like mucking about with the Engilsh language sometimes [probably coz I'm Scottish] so that's my eggs-kyoos if my spelling ain't too hot!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Been away for e few days so sorry for the delay in continuing the countdown.
In fact there are no entries at either 113 or 112 as three titles are tied at 111.
The reason for the three-way tie is that all three strips in question were part of the Plug pull-out section of the combined 'Beezer and Plug' and featured in the pul-out for the length of its run (108 issues).
So first among equals, on the strength that she was the star of the only one of these strips that jumped the Plug pull-out ship and actually also appeared in several Beezer books and a summer special, we have -

111= First Ada (Beezer) 1979-1981
Art - Gordon Bell
The accident prone misadventures of a little girl who likes to play at nurses, complete with her pram ambulance pulled by her faithful dog Barrel.

111= Eebagoom (Beezer) (1979-1981)
Art - Albert Holroyd
The adventures of two Lancashire lads in Roman ruled Bolton, Eebagoom and his clothcapped mate Albert, who use their native cunning to outwit Sneezius and the rest 't' Romans, by eck!

111= Antchester Utd (Beezer) (1979-1981)
Art - John Geering
By-lined with the legend 'The insect football team with all the talent and all the legs' the team sheet featured such six-legged luminaries as Francis Flea, goalkeeper David Larvae, Mantis Buchan, Anty Gray, Kevin Beetle, and Mike Bumblebee, all spins on names that were instantly recognizable to anyone folowing football in the 1970's but which are probably quite obscure now. (An earlier luminary also featured, as which insect football team worth its salt could fail to have a line-up that didn't include
Gnat Lofthouse, with the original having sadly departed these realms in the last week)

(Plug itself had run for 75 issues between Sept 1977 and Feb 1979)

More anon.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

First Ada
Eebagoom
Antchester United

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for sharing images from your considerable archives, Digi: sadly, my own files contain none of these mirthful items.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Actually, First Ada and Antchester United are from one of Peter Gray's blogs. I did upload Eebagoom's page myself though, it's from Plug #1.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Keep those pictorial examples coming chaps.
And next a personal favourite

110 Tall Tales from Toad-in-the-Hole (Topper) (1963-1965)
Art - Michael Barratt
Gadzooks! Time has stood still since Cromwellian times in the marshland bounded village of Toad-in-the-Hole and verily, as a result, 300 years of progress has passed its inhabitants by.
If this was a popularity poll this strip would certainly make it into my Top Twenty.
Resurfaced as a reduced sized repeat in Victor (1973-1974).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

i don't have any examples of the actual strip..can anyone help please...otherwise i'll put it up from the best of Topper..

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Kashgar wrote:Keep those pictorial examples coming chaps.
And next a personal favourite

110 Tall Tales from Toad-in-the-Hole (Topper) (1963-1965)
Art - Michael Barratt
Gadzooks! Time has stood still since Cromwellian times in the marshland bounded village of Toad-in-the-Hole and verily, as a result, 300 years of progress has passed its inhabitants by.
If this was a popularity poll this strip would certainly make it into my Top Twenty.
Resurfaced as a reduced sized repeat in Victor (1973-1974).
I've just noticed I missed out the word 'personal' before popularity poll in the above post. As, of course, what is a 'Top 100' if not a popularity poll.

109 Blubba (Beezer) (1974-1976)
Art - Watson Kennedy
While out beachcombing young Fred Finney discovers what he mistakenly believes to be a large jellyfish. But it's not. It's a shape-changing alien deposited in the sea minutes earlier from a passing spacecraft. In due course he and 'Blubba' become firm friends in typical Thomson one boy and his alien fashion.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Ask and ye shall receive... :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

This 'illustrated countdown' idea is an out-and-out winner......many thanks for the visual accompanyment, blaing.

dishes

Post by dishes »

I am enjoying this thread and am looking forward to more.

As a child in the mid-late eighties, I rarely bought either comic (especially not the Beezer for some reason). I got the Dandy and Beano every week, and my third favourite comic was Buster. If I fancied an extra comic besides the Dandy and Beano, I went for Buster or Whizzer and Chips rather than Beezer or Topper, because it seemed that, compared with the Dandy and Beano the IPC titles were Not As Good But Different, whereas the other Thomson titles were Similar But Not As Good.

But then, I was an avid collector of older comics and vintage material, so when Best Of Topper and Best of Beezer came along I collected them avidly, and finally caught up with the likes of Beryl the Peril and The Banana Bunch, in their classic definitive versions. Now I can catch up on what else I've missed!

Ian
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I always liked the Toad In The Hole strip, but the premise doesn't bear close examination - the village has supposedly been cut off for 300 years, yet in every episode someone from T-I-T-H takes a casual stroll into the nearby town. In the example above the old geezer tells his neighbours he's going into town, so it's hardly a secret that the modern world lies a few steps away.