Name that Hornet

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Name that Hornet

Post by stevezodiac »

This article was in the Daily Express today. It shows a portion of a Hornet cover but can one of the gurus reveal the actual cover or at least give the number and date?

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Name that Hornet

Post by Phoenix »

If Kashgar doesn't respond before Saturday, Steve, I'll post the information then.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:It shows a portion of a Hornet cover but can one of the gurus reveal the actual cover or at least give the number and date?
The issue of The Hornet is 159 (Sep. 24 1966). The front and rear covers, which give the account of the incident, appear below. Sorry I couldn't do this any earlier, Steve, but I was in Cornwall for a holiday until late last night. Also, this morning I missed the issue on the first run through my collection because I assumed that the picture in the newspaper was the one referred to in the article as an illustration on the front page of the Hornet comic, whereas it turned out to be a tiny one on the rear cover, as you will see.
Attachments
hornet159cov.jpg
hornet159cov2.jpg

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The George Medal isn't "secondary" to the George Cross - it is the award for gallantry in non-combat situations.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The artist is Redvers Blake.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Of course if he'd done that today the Health and Safety Police would have been apoplectic. "You should have done a risk assessment first and then looked for some hard hats, steel toe-capped daisys and found a step-ladder. And mind how you put that medal on, you could prick yourself rather nastily."

Thanks for finding the issue, Kashgar.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Thanks for finding the issue, Kashgar.
Wow! I thought I was the one that found the issue. I'll obviously have to get some psychiatric help. I have been having a few funny turns lately but, I must admit, none of them have involved seeing myself as Kashgar in disguise.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks for finding the issue, PHOENIX.

Bought myself a desk from Argos today, one man self assembly (or two twits). Sitting at it now. Will now be able to draw my cartoons in comfort. £30 - great value.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Thanks for finding the issue, PHOENIX.
There was really no need to shout, Steve. :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Rats! I could have done with that bit of undeserved praise too!
BTW I should point out that the artist responsible, Redvers Blake, also went under the name Harry Winslade as well. After all I wouldn't want old Redvers to get praised undeservedly for work Harry had done!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

AndyB wrote:The George Medal isn't "secondary" to the George Cross - it is the award for gallantry in non-combat situations.
The GC can also be won in non-combat situations, a train driver got it for staying aboard to make sure a burning locomotive stopped when he could have jumped out, for one.
It is mainly awarded to soldiers though, like somebody who jumped on a grenade in Afghanistan... and lived! Then set up an ambush for the taliban who were coming to investigate the explosion.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The current Weekly news is running this story as well and shows the top of the Hornet cover and a larger panel repro. As usual it refers to DC Thomson as if they are a different company.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I apologise - I was quite incorrect about the status of the George Cross. I remembered it incorrectly.