Advert for Wizard number 1.

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Advert for Wizard number 1.

Post by stevezodiac »

I brought a couple of bags of comics over from my Mum's on Sunday. Loads of Goal magazines, complete run of Terrific plus some odds and ends. One copy of the Hotspur had a full page ad for the first Wizard so I thought I'd show it here for the archives.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Advert for Wizard number 1.

Post by steelclaw »

Wish I had kept my Sure-Shot Shooter.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I didn't keep mine either, even though I usually held onto free gifts. If memory serves me right it was quite a sturdy plastic gun and it shot thin elastic bands in a variety of colours.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Hen Broon

Post by Hen Broon »

hi guys,i did keep my one,yes it is a solid little gun that fired bands.
hope this helps
Attachments
the wizard #1 - 14.02.70.jpg

Hen Broon

Post by Hen Broon »

The flyer for the Wizard #1 - 1922
Attachments
wizard #1 flyer.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The first scan is the full-page advert that appeared the previous week in The Rover, which focused on the free gift set starting in issue 1 rather than The Wizard itself. The second scan is of The Wizard itself.
Attachments
wiz1ad.jpg
wiz1actual.jpg

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

as this topic seems to be talking about free gifts i wonder what the rest of you do with the plastic tat with todays beano & dandy.the only gifts i keep with the comics now is sticker albums or packets which is easily bagged with em & the toys i usually fill up a shopping bag & give em to my friends for kids party bags or go to my neice when she visits.the sweets i just scoff em but with a 1980s beano i won the other week it still had a black bubble gum sweet on the cover & a dandy had a chew bar but that has melted a bit & soaked through the comic

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Always great to see original free gifts from years ago and many in mint condition. Thanks for sharing the photos. I think the pictures of free gifts should get their own archive page here when the site is up and running again. Same with the flyers. Also the artist and writer mp3s can start to be beefed up with more becoming available on the net now. Actually remember suggesting interview mp3s on this forum a few years back and some people thought I was barmy. Now I'm suggesting video files of artists and writers past and present.......Search the internet , my beauties!!! Bring back the bounty to Comics UK! :D

The Cap.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:as this topic seems to be talking about free gifts i wonder what the rest of you do with the plastic tat with todays beano & dandy.
Chuck 'em in the bin, except for any I had a hand in such as this Skull Bat I did the art for. (Given in Toxic.)

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

I usually just stockpile them somewhere until I remember I've got them, at which point I give them to my mother, who is actively involved with the local school, so presumably she does something with them there. They always used to end up in small packages as raffle prizes... so if you've ever won anything like that from a school fair staffed by snotty six-year-olds, I apologise for perpetuating it! :lol:

EDIT: Except for the sweets, of course. I eat them.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

But do you sweet-noshers keep the wrappers? Here's a Sweet Tooth wrapper, from the sweets given away with Whizzer and Chips 04 October 1980 (marred slightly by the glue from the sticky tape that affixed it to the cover).

blaing

Post by blaing »

Wow. I knew about the Buster confections (from the BusterComic site), but I never knew that there was a Sweet-Tooth confection

Was there any other comic strip characters that had their own confection in stores years ago.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

if someone has all 20 of those sweet tooth sweet wrapper stories could they put them up as i doubt they have been reprinted anywhere

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

blaing wrote:Wow. I knew about the Buster confections (from the BusterComic site), but I never knew that there was a Sweet-Tooth confection

Was there any other comic strip characters that had their own confection in stores years ago.
Roy of the Rovers and Desperate Dan both had their own chew bars.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Indeed, I last saw Roy of the Rovers bars for sale about four years ago, to my surprise. Don't think they're around now. The wrappers still had "(C)1990 Fleetway Publications" on them, even though it was almost 20 years later and Fleetway no longer exist.