DC THOMSON REBOOTED

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: DC THOMSON REBOOTED

Post by Kashgar »

Postie Knox! I'd never have guessed.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Ok, the new issue of Comic Review is available to buy online and the news is in there. A list of strips with the names of their new writers and artists, all members of the Glasgow League of Writers. Looks like the strips will be previewed in Comic Review every Friday, one strip per week. I'm sure JT Mirana will be along soon to post the official info here.

While we're waiting, here's a quick mention of it that I've put on my blog:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... rning.html

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

General Jumbo eh? Well that has me intrigued. I wonder where these strips are going to appear? I hope they have better luck than King Cobra's revival attempt, which was pretty much scuppered by Strip's various problems.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Wasn't the Black Sapper supposed to be included or is that a separate project?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

My admittedly limited enthusiasm for JT's project has just plummeted to zero. I'll just stick with the originals, thank you. And yes, Steve, The Black Sapper, the information about whom JT was going to reveal, and for which we are still waiting, was presumably intended to be part of this project. I suppose that the four-week arcs that Lew refers to in his blog post will mean that each of the stories will be replaced by others in the fifth week, but in my opinion four weeks is in no way long enough for any serial or series. Thomsons' picture papers from The New Hotspur onwards would present their series or serials over about ten to twelve weeks minimum, and I felt that even that was too short to do justice to the stories.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:I suppose that the four-week arcs that Lew refers to in his blog post will mean that each of the stories will be replaced by others in the fifth week, but in my opinion four weeks is in no way long enough for any serial or series.
The impression I got from the article in the mag is that only the first episodes will appear in Comic Review. I don't know where the full story arcs will appear. The Glasgow League of Writers publish their own indie comics so perhaps it'll be in one of those?
http://thestandardcomic.com/2012/05/22/ ... 12-report/

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Sorry for the delays, folks! I understand the frustration, which is shared by me.

I can only tell you that this project has been bubbling away for well over a year. DCT are not, shall we say, hasty in their decision making processes. Or indeed any other sort of processes. Yes, there will be an official press release, which I will get to you as soon as it gets to me!

Yes, first eps will appear in Comic Heroes. Audience feedback will determine which, if any, are continued. So if you like the first ep teasers, do PLEASE make your feelings known to DCT! ( By which I mean, the complete stories are already written and waiting for a green light, a green light dependent on reader response ).

More when I get it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Do you actually have any news for comicsuk members about The Black Sapper, JT? If so, would you please be good enough to let us have it. Patience used to be a virtue in my house, but it is currently getting as threadbare as the seat of a Victorian pauper's trousers.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:Do you actually have any news for comicsuk members about The Black Sapper, JT? If so, would you please be good enough to let us have it. Patience used to be a virtue in my house, but it is currently getting as threadbare as the seat of a Victorian pauper's trousers.
Surely JT has already clearly explained above that any further progress is dependent on DCT and the reaction that the initial five stories receive?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Surely JT has already clearly explained above that any further progress is dependent on DCT and the reaction that the initial five stories receive?
Oh well, I suppose patience will have to become virtuous again.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Here you go folks. More info from the Down the Tubes website:
http://downthetubes.net/?p=14522

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Yup, sorry Pheonix, Black Sapper will be part of the 'Phase 2' of the project - I hope. If Phase 1 meets with good audience response, then Phase 2 MAY proceed. Like I said, it took us well over a year just to get to this point, so holding of breath is probably not the best idea at this point!

Sapper art is by Iain Laurie. Look him up. He's ok'd a sneak-peek.

Sorry for the disappointment, Pheonix - DCT's decision, not the writers' I assure you!

One minor update: Trixie's Treasure Chest is no longer part of the package. DCT required last minute changes which the artist was unable to do in time. It is back on the back-burner for the forseeble future.

Thanks for the link, Lew. I would've posted the press release myself last night but I'm not online at home.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

JT Mirana wrote:Yup, sorry Pheonix, Black Sapper will be part of the 'Phase 2' of the project - I hope.
JT Mirana wrote:Sorry for the disappointment, Pheonix
Well, thanks for that information, JT, and indeed for your kindness in allowing Lew to get in first with your promised press release. The project does sound interesting enough, although I have to admit that I'm not exactly bowled over by the artwork, any of it, but seeing as I don't know much about artwork, you don't need to take that as any kind of criticism. I do hope, however, that your text within The Black Sapper, assuming it gets the green light, shows greater observation in the area of spelling than it does where my comicsuk username is concerned. :)

starscape

Post by starscape »

Ah it's the old evil Black Sapper. I'd hoped it was the heroic one of later years (reprinted by Red Dagger) but good luck anyway. Aside from the war heroes, Black Sapper, Morgyn the Mighty and, naturally, Billy the Cat would be the ones to most whet my appetite.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:Well, thanks for that information, JT, and indeed for your kindness in allowing Lew to get in first with your promised press release.
I didn't. The link I provided was to John Freeman's blog, not mine.