Sparky Book 1979

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

toxteth o'grady

Sparky Book 1979

Post by toxteth o'grady »

I've just bought a copy of The Sparky Book 1979 off eBay. It's in excellent condition. However, it doesn't appear to have a 'This Book Belongs to ...' page. If it has been removed they've done a good job, it's not obvious. The first page after the endpapers is 'The Sparky people - 80 Laughs'. Can anyone confirm if there was a 'This Book Belongs to ...' page?

(Edit: just noticed that my 1978 Sparky Book is missing a 'This Book Belongs to ...' too)

Lew Stringer

Re: Sparky Book 1979

Post by Lew Stringer »

toxteth o'grady wrote:I've just bought a copy of The Sparky Book 1979 off eBay. It's in excellent condition. However, it doesn't appear to have a 'This Book Belongs to ...' page. If it has been removed they've done a good job, it's not obvious. The first page after the endpapers is 'The Sparky people - 80 Laughs'. Can anyone confirm if there was a 'This Book Belongs to ...' page?

(Edit: just noticed that my 1978 Sparky Book is missing a 'This Book Belongs to ...' too)
Simply count the number of pages. If it's not divisible by four then two pages are missing.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

toxteth o'grady

Thanks, Lew.

I took your advice but I kept forgetting where I was up to!
So I counted 1,2,3,4 over and over again.
The last 1,2,3,4 was short so there must be a page missing.

Thanks again

Raven

Post by Raven »

The L Cars front papers are two pages, the second one having the price tag, then there's a page with lots of coloured spotlights shining on 'Sparky Book 1979', then 'The Sparky People: 80 Laughs.' No 'This Book Belongs To' page.

toxteth o'grady

Thanks, Raven.

I've recounted the pages and this time they're divisible by 4, so I must have miscounted before.
I checked the 1978 edition and this comes divisible by 4 too, so That should be OK too.

Thanks, again

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Mine has a "This Book Belongs To" page- so i'm afraid yours `is` missing Toxteth!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Raven

Post by Raven »

So my copy has a missing page?! There's no sign of any rip.

There must be two pages after the 'Sparky Book 1979' coloured spotlights one, then. So if one is a 'This Book Belongs To' page, what's on the other?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

On the subject of Missing Sparky Book pages: I have the whole set, but one page is missing from my 1972 annual:

-----this is the one-frame page of 'where do all the characters Peter Piper brings to life go to?'

[a fair question, actually!]

The '72 book illustrates this with a highly detailed mob scene of many of the characters brought to life: it's pretty accurate, although I haven't laid eyes on this illustration since the 70s. [the rest of the book is fine]

Peter Piper himself 'sort of' appears in the centre of the melee , but his face is obscured by water from a blow-hole----I assume this was not Peter himself depicted, but one of his brought-to-life mirror reflections.

Looks like I will have to locate another copy of this annual [to be fair, it only cost me a quid in the early 90s at a book fair].

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Its one of the more common copies of the Sparky annuals Rab! You should have little trouble finding one!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Any chance you might kindly answer my question above, alan...? I just want to make sure you're right about this alleged missing page!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Raven! If your book has (Including the Cardboard covers) 128 pages, it's complete! Only the 1968 edition was shorter at 124 pages- every other edition is 128 pages!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:No 'This Book Belongs To' page.
alanultron5 wrote:Mine has a "This Book Belongs To" page
Raven wrote:So if one is a 'This Book Belongs To' page, what's on the other?
Would it not advance the search for clarity, Alan, if you could just tell Raven what is on the other side of your 'This Book Belongs To' page, rather than asking him to count the pages in his annual, because no matter how many pages he has in his annual he will still want to know what is on the back of your 'This Book Belongs To' page?

Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes, that is what I'm asking, though, having just counted, it is 128 pages, so complete from what you say - yet it has no 'This Book Belongs To' page...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Looks like Perry Mason will have to be approached in order to get Paul Drake's detective agency busy on The Case Of The Missing Page. :) Another approach of course would be to ask Alan to upload scans of both sides of that page.

Raven

Post by Raven »

I think Alan's copy might be the Nirdle edition.