Hornet Comics

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

brisey

Hornet Comics

Post by brisey »

Been looking at various eBay auctions for Hornets recently and the Hornet always seems to go for relatively small amounts-have been reading my own lately and can see nowt wrong with them.In fact they start off stronger than say Victor with Bernard Briggs.
My rambling question is why are the so reasonabbly priced.

By the way 4 LION COMICS 7th 14th 21st & 28th FEBRUARY 1970 VGC going for ?102 am I missing something

Captain Storm

Hornet Comics

Post by Captain Storm »

The only thing you'll be missing will be your money!

Lew Stringer

Re: Hornet Comics

Post by Lew Stringer »

brisey wrote: By the way 4 LION COMICS 7th 14th 21st & 28th FEBRUARY 1970 VGC going for ?102 am I missing something

I noticed that too! That auction just ended. Looking at the bidding history it shot up from ?16 to ?100 in one bid! I can only imagine the bidder made a typo but who knows? Maybe he just wanted to complete his collection. Bidding is relative to one's wealth. ?102 is nothing to a zillionaire for example. :wink:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

rod2402

Hornet Comics

Post by rod2402 »

I watched the Lion 1 - 100 auction with interest, that was great value when compared to ?102 for the Feb 1970 issues.

Brisey you're not a scanner are you?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Hornet Comics

Post by colcool007 »

I've found the same thing. Hornet looked as if it stayed good and strong all the way through the 60's. The only thing that I thought was ropey was Captain Hornet. Otherwise, a good solid comic that should have kept on trucking.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Earl

Hornet Comics

Post by Earl »

I picked up 300 or so of them on ebay for around ?50 quid which I thought was an ok price per issue.

Earl.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Hornet Comics

Post by colcool007 »

Earl wrote:I picked up 300 or so of them on ebay for around ?50 quid which I thought was an ok price per issue.

Earl.
You lucky lucky bar..er..person! That was a great deal.

Jimmy Screw

Hornet Comics

Post by Jimmy Screw »

I managed to get hold of a solitary issue of Hornet from 1971 recently (for about 50p, Brisey) and it's not a bad read.

Jonah was always a DC Thomson favourite and I found The Amazing Mister Cedric to be a most enjoyable story. I will try and hunt down more (reasonably priced) issues from this era and hopefully try to get a complete run of this strip.

Not sure about Big Boomer though; giant-mechanical kangaroos and an Australian outback town called 'Wankadoi' means you'll probably end up reading this strip for the wrong reasons.

Now here is the thinly disguised request for information:

Does anyone know the date and number of the last ever Hornet?

Cannot find these details on Goog.

Captain Storm

Hornet Comics

Post by Captain Storm »

648 Issues ending on the 7/2/1976.This info is available in the Gallery if you dig into the Family Tree section. :oops: :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Hornet Comics

Post by colcool007 »

There is a 3 year run currently on Ebay that is very reasonably priced at 30 quid. I have not picked it up as I have to pay for flights for the chittering horde, so my comic buying power has run low. :cry:

But still a great comic that managed to last for a respectable 13 years. While it didn't introduce many new great characters, it stayed a solid example of what a boy's comic should be throughout the 60's and the 70's IMHO.

Earl

Hornet Comics

Post by Earl »

I am embarrassed to admit I have still not had much tiem to read through the large collection of these that I got in that single lot.

Earl.

Jimmy Screw

Hornet Comics

Post by Jimmy Screw »

Thanks again, Captain Storm.

Huh! I guess, sometimes the answers are right under my nose (mild embarrasment!)

Earl

Hornet Comics

Post by Earl »

That's a nice run on ebay. I was tempted but there is a lot of overlap with the earlier run I got.

Earl.