Viz Tat

Discuss or comment on anything relating to this long-running adult comic that started back in 1979.

Moderator: AndyB

wardrobe86

Viz Tat

Post by wardrobe86 »

Just wondering if all the things like the queen mums teeth and borstal boy doll that are advertised in viz are actually available for purchase or if they are purely spoof ads.

Steve Henderson

Re: Viz Tat

Post by Steve Henderson »

You could buy a vast majority of them, some were on display at the exhibition last year.

You could buy the teeth and the queen mum towel and all the mugs they have on but borstal boy and other things such as 'ich bin ein naughty boy' (a baby Hitler eating chocolates) were mickey takes, you could usually tell by the form to fill in at the bottom, usually full jokes about old people wasting their money on tat.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I suppose they actually made the models, though?

If Viz ever gets in serious trouble they could always sell them as one-off limited editions of, erm, one.

alex_collier

Post by alex_collier »

There was a range of tat you could actually buy. I got a Elvis Presley Dambusters Clock Plate. As you would imagine, it didn't work for very long.

The Hitler Doll sat on top of the Viz fruit machine in the office for a number of years during my time there (about eight years ago or something). Not sure what will have happened to it now... I think it may have been part of the exhibition, but I had too many free drinks on preview night to remember.

Borstal Boy was, I think, a photoshop mock up. A real dolls head and hands, but the rest of him was one of the editors young sons in a tracksuit and and adult trainers. I think the lads set fire to the tracksuit afterwards to see how well it went up.

As far as I'm aware none of the Viz tat is for sale anymore... try eBay... or the bins round the back of their office.

Steve Henderson

The Hitler Doll was not at the exhibition to the best of my knowledge, The exhibition is coming to an end soon so if anyone has not seen it yet I would take the chance to see it, Even if you don't like Viz its still an excellent museum to have a look around in.

This month issue features 'A Load of Old b*****ks' Which is a micky take of those egypian, hippy new age pendant things. You can't send off for it but there are tonnes of genuine non Viz tat in the weekend papers if you fancy wasting your money, Best thing I saw recently was a monkey doll. A Orangutan dressed in a pink baby grow. Its almost as if the papers have started taking the P**s out of Viz now!

babington

Post by babington »

I bought a Viz mug at a car boot sale recently, commemorating the royal wedding of Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones in typical Viz style. Does anyone know if this was originally an offer in an issue of Viz?
Viz-Mug copy.jpg

Steve Henderson

It was a Viz cup, they love sending up the royals, the Queen mum tea towel is another classic!

babington

Post by babington »

Any idea which issue of Viz this mug was advertised in?

Steve Henderson

Sometime in 1999, I don't have any issues between 107-124 which is when it was most likely advertised! Incidentally if anyones selling any issues I am missing , get in touch ha ha!

alex_collier

Post by alex_collier »

Yeah, Steve is right, it was from then sometime. Probably. The mug was only available if you sent in eight stamps. It is possibly quite rare, as it was the first time Viz did this, and I don't remember any spare cups knocking about the office, unlike most of the other cups which littered the office floor in abundance. We played conkers with them once.

The point is, if you were wanting to stick it on eBay, there are a few looneys out there who would give you more for it than you paid at the car boot sale. Probably a whole 50p more.

babington

Post by babington »

Thanks for the details - and you're right, one of these mugs went on Ebay a couple of months ago for £25! But I wouldn't part with my Viz tat for that!!

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

I remember the Elvis Presley Dambusters ClockPlate of Tutankhamen, 22 sh*t Street (a "Liliput Lane" style ornament of a cottage) and the Life of Jesus Christ as Cats. The Elvis Presley thing was truly a thing of wonder.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I thought the ad for "a load of old b*****ks" was brilliant. So obvious yet so amazing.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

I thought the "Life of Jesus in Cats Plate" was actually quite pretty, and I've kicked myself several times for not having bought it.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Never knew some of these tat things were for real.

Doubt they'd afford to be allowed to do likes of Mr Kipling chess set, "Mummy this lemonade tastes funny" dolls or car crashes die cast cars - recreating deaths of pop stars like Marc Bolan.

Though they could pretend another series of that including Johnny Kidd's Ford Cortina and Dickie Valentine's Hillman Avenger...

Oh stoppit!