Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Retro TV

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Those opening and closing credits [Steed and Tara with the suit of armour/hands with playing cards] accompanied to that unforgettable Lawrie Johnson music is still magnificent, though......

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Recent viewing on Channel 61 ofThe sixth season episode "You'll Catch Your Death" made my heart flutter again! Back when it was originally screened-I had a really big `schoolboy` crush on an actress in a small role in it! She had a larger role at much same time in "Feet Foremost" one of the best "Mystery and Imagination" episodes screened June 1968. I really fell for her - Fiona Hartford!
A Face unclouded by thought.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I've noticed recently on True Ents' Avengers repeats that they're showing the incorrect closing credits - they show the ones for the following night.

Doesn't help if you're wondering who was that guest star? Or is it to whet appetite for tomorrow night's?

I notice in this run they have repeated The Fear Merchants this time (Emma Peel wearing some revolting costumesin that episode in my opinion).

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Did you notice "The Fear Merchants" was heavily edited for `Voilent`scenes ? The Bulldozer death and tray of surgical instruments `edited`

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Most recently I've been watching some mute stuff:

I've got the Ghost Squad DVDs, and as an extra it's got all the surviving mute footage of its spin off GS5. These were beautifly shot and looked great plots - a disgrace they were all wiped bar an opening title.

Been taking notes on these to try and sketch plot lines together and use as inspiration for some ideas for TV episodes I write to relax.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Sad to hear of passing of Pat McNee! He had a good innings of 93!

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Sad to hear it too - still he lived to a very ripe age!

And ironically MacNee died not long after his former schoolmate Christopher Lee who also lived long and kept working to the end.

And just a few months after one of the main brains of the Avengers Brian Clemens passed away.

Recently we've also lost Ron Moody (wroks include first 2 series of cult show Into The Labyrinth and he turned down Doctor Who) and from the other side of the water Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy. All lived to ripe ages.

Sadly now dropping like flies with little good to replace them as figureheads.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

And Eli Wallach who was also about 90 and became immortalised with his casting as Tuco in The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

On the subject of Retro TV and changing the subject ever so slightly, yesterday for a mere pound I picked up the double dvd of The Herbs/Adventures of Parsley in Deptford flea market. Loved those shows.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up another DVD in Deptford market today. A Doctor Who box set with two William Hartnell stories: The Chase featuring the Daleks and The Museum In Space. Only £2 for three discs. A coup.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Just got parts 2 and 4 of Look Back compilations for a bargain from a car boot - a good vendor I know well - spent years looking for these.

I recently went to HMV in Manchester and saw second series of Fraud Squad (I got series 1 on special order from indie dealer in Chorley) and they wanted 47 quid for it! Not paying that much rip-off!

Raven

Post by Raven »

DavidKW wrote:Just got parts 2 and 4 of Look Back compilations for a bargain from a car boot - a good vendor I know well - spent years looking for these.
You could have got them in Network's 40% Off Sale ... which just ended.

Similar ('70s children's drama) TV stuff out from Network very shortly: The Flaxton Boys Series One, Pretenders, Soldier and Me.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I read in the papers at the weekend that the next series of Doctor Who goes back to when the Doctor and Davros were young and the Doctor could have stopped Davros creating the Daleks. As far as I am concerned the origins of the Daleks are as chronicled in the first few issues of TV Century 21 and, to me, Davros is a pantonmime villain created by the BBC. What do other forum members think. Did Terry Nation write the daleks strip?

At the comics fair yesterday I picked up the complete You Must Be Joking a kids series from the mid seventies featuring Pauline Quirk and Linda Robson and the band Flintlock who were pretty good muicians. Also 30 Minutes Worth a seventies sketch show featuring Harry Worth and Legends of the West a docu-drama series from the fifties featuring all the major characters from the Wild West.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just wondering about new member Hawkeye's chosen forum name. Being a similar age I don't think it is a tribute to Marvel's longbow wielding Avenger but rather the tv series shown in the mid sixties. I used to watch all the cowboy shows as well as Hawkeye. I don't remember who played Hawkeye but I remember Lon Chaney playing his red indian companion. And I have a vague recollection of the credits appearing on a tree trunk?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The Daleks strip in TV21 was written by David Whitaker - Doctor Who's first script editor who was probably responsible for as much of the Daleks' backstory as Terry Nation himself. Davros was created after he left the show.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Just wondering about new member Hawkeye's chosen forum name. Being a similar age I don't think it is a tribute to Marvel's longbow wielding Avenger but rather the tv series shown in the mid sixties. I used to watch all the cowboy shows as well as Hawkeye. I don't remember who played Hawkeye but I remember Lon Chaney playing his red indian companion. And I have a vague recollection of the credits appearing on a tree trunk?
I was thinking of Hawkeye from the 4077th. But then again, I am a 70's child.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!