currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the new Star Trek film is OK but the science is mindless; anyone who remembers the solution to the threat in Mars Attacks will see a similar lame solution here [well, sort of]

Not a boring film, though......

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SUICIDE SQUAD ***

official trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxadSzbOMQA

Col the Cool One beat me to the punch on this one by a few days, however I saw it today.

I'm afraid this film did not a great deal for me: it's a deliberately gaudy romp with a blatantly 'edgy' outlook, and as such unspools sort of like The Dirty Dozen for those with short attention spans. Not a great deal of originality on view here, with too many characters [never a good idea at the best of times ] and [seemingly deliberate] stilted performances from the cast.

On the plus side, it rattles along at a rapid pace for nearly all the running time, and the Harley Quinn character is nicely subversive. So, in the Grand Scheme of the modern glut of comic-book live-action adaptations, where does this one stand? Well, just say if this were to be compared to the first two Terminator films, this one is the equivalent of Universal Soldier in comparison.

Not a bad film by any means, but there is no real cinematic glue holding the ingredients together strong enough to truly bond with this viewer at least.

Not terrible, but not terribly good either.

THREE OUT OF FIVE
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 10 Aug 2016, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

colcool007 wrote:Just watched Suicide Squad and it was an enjoyable romp. It took a while to get started, but it pressed all the buttons for me. I enjoyed Margot Robbie as Harley, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag and Will Smith as Deadpool but nobody else really stood out which is a shame.
Deadpool is Marvel, not DC. Will's character is called Deadshot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Digifiend wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Just watched Suicide Squad and it was an enjoyable romp. It took a while to get started, but it pressed all the buttons for me. I enjoyed Margot Robbie as Harley, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag and Will Smith as Deadpool but nobody else really stood out which is a shame.
Deadpool is Marvel, not DC. Will's character is called Deadshot.
You knew who I meant! :lol: I think that this means that I won't be having any Chimichangas tonight...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I recently saw suicide squad in 4dx and loved it.will smiths best film in years

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I never recognized it was Will Smith until his name came up at the end! You never really see so much of him now........

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SAUSAGE PARTY *****

Official Trailer Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBdeE7mzED4

----Now, then: I usually avoid reviewing CGI-computer animated cartoons because they are so ten-a-penny nowadays. I do get to see most of them, but the vast majority are forgettable fluff with poor characterization, despite the obvious talent and effort pored into these works.

However! THIS ONE got my full attention: it is a deliciously dark, warped premise: living, cartoon products in Supermarkets are duped by misleading advertising into being brainwashed by into thinking they are heading for a divine, heaven-like existence once they get picked by customers from the shelves: the reality, of course, is the brutal torture and murder of the foodstuffs [from their point of view, of course] once they reach the kitchens of suburbia.

Great imagination and sight-gags in this, and some of the scenarios are clearly very adult and near-the-knuckle: in fact I heard the c-word used at least one time here. There is a vast cast of characters [totally justified in this supermarket setting ] and the not-very-streetwise innocence of the naive cartoon characters' outlook is a major strength here.

Some of the scenes are pretty disturbing, especially the brutality inflicted onto the living vegetables by an unsuspecting housewife once the characters realize the Horror they are subjected to.

A really refreshing change I thought, and yes, it is dark and creepy in many scenes...... and not surprizingly it was tough getting this film the green light.

The over-the-top design and attitude of the living produce-product characters looks like early 30s Max Fleischer cartooning on LSD-laced steroids.

EXCELLENT STUFF, if not for everyone: 5 out of 5

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well I have just returned from my latest cinematic adventure and I can honestly say that Doctor Strange is a 5 out of 5 for me.

Nobody did anything wrong for the entire movie. Benedict Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton proved why they are top drawer actors and each scene with them was a joy. The CGI was a little overdone, but only by a smidgeon, but the pace of the delivery, the pace of the plot were spot on and a lesson for any other superhero movie makers.

It doesn't get much better than this and I am already thinking that I might sneak back and watch it again.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I liked all the warping cityblock backgrounds, Col---the stuff of MARVEL to be sure.

I might go back and see it also.

FOUR OUT OF FIVE

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

STAR WARS Rogue One ****

Official Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

I am not exactly the worlds' biggest Star Wars fan and to be honest in these films [since 1977 til now] I cannot be bothered to follow the story--which has always seemed to me to be a lot of mystical tosh---however this series always had the top cutting-edge visuals, which probably went a bit too far with the three Star Wars films released from 1999 onwards, and ended up becoming digital effects just for the sake of it.

Happily, the last two films including this one are deliberately holding back on the overdone FX which is now probably polluting most big-budget sci-fi films in the visuals--and in fact, this unspools more like a pared-back, made-for-TV version of Star Wars, harking back to the pre-CGI days when the big-bang climax sequence is anticipated by the audience.

Two flesh-and-blood character actors from the first 1977 film are recreated in pretty impressive CGI and appear in their recognizable original form in newly-minted scenes. I thought this was well-done at any rate.

Other than that, nothing new here has really been constructed from scratch and really this is an opportunity to see famous hardware from the first 1977 film especially recreated from different viewpoints.

Not bad at all and I am sure the devout fans will lap this up.

FOUR OUT OF FIVE

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Rab beat me with Rogue One and it was brilliant.

I am not going to say too much as there are still a lot of people that have yet to see it, but I would put it at 4.8/5. The tie in with the other Star Wars movies was brilliant. The CGI was not too intrusive and the acting throughout was first class.

The only thing that was off for me was the pacing at the start of the movie and the fact that the lighting levels seemed to be aimed at those even more photosensitive than I! However, after the first 20 minutes, either I got used to it or the production team sorted it.

Impressive performances by all, but shout outs to Forest Whittaker, Alan Tudyk, Baze Malbus and Donnie Yen for supporting performances that had two of us SW fans blubbering as we watched it.

And the ending. Oh my god, it was a perfect segue into... well I can't say what but once you watch it, you will realise.

To sum up, the force was strong in this one.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I can't believe none of us posted on the movies of 2017, but I am going to post on the movies of 2018 and the first I have seen is The Shape Of Water. This is the classic B-movie Creature From The Black Lagoon done as a romantic film noir but it is oh so much more than that.

Beautifully shot with not a wasted scene. It is perfectly paced and feels a lot shorter than the 123 minutes running time. Well worth going back for a second showing.

5/5 for me. Now I am going to log into my Coral account and see how much I have to put on that movie for Best Picture!