Great toys from childhood.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Great toys from childhood.

Post by steelclaw »

Star was this the Formla 1 Game?

I got the James bond car as a kid like most ripped open the box christmas morning(Probably about 4am)I still have the car but if I had kept the box it would have been worth a lot of money today.
The orignal model car was gold, which was unsual as in the film it was silver, but a few years later they did a smaller silver car.
And you think your an old git :D

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Steel: Amazing that is indeed the game I remembered it took me right back . I think it had cards with a apinner on it that looked like a speedometer and the little F1 Cars in multi colours - first time I ve seen that bame box in years (over 35 years at least) Another game (bet you don't have this) was the "Battle of Little Big Horn" game that went right over my head as a kid (I seem to remember it had rail track and old west style trains in it as well as cowboys and indians) - yep I ripped the boxes of all my cars to shreds little knowing the value in later years, but I had great fun playing with them as a kid and that was worth more than the cash even now. Again thanks for this you have an excellent collection/memory.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

STARBOY wrote: Another game (bet you don't have this) was the "Battle of Little Big Horn" game that went right over my head as a kid (I seem to remember it had rail track and old west style trains in it as well as cowboys and indians)
I don't remember that game it's for sale on ebay, I wonder if it's like Campaign which I still have and quite hard to play from when I remembered playing it.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

lol fantastic stuff again Steel thanks - that's the very game I remember the box (it's always the box I seem to remember most) and parts of the the board ring a big bell in my memory and of course I mostly remember the cowboys/Indians and horses. I seemed to think there was rail track and a train in this game, but that's probably another game or my memory playing up (the latter I guess). I think "..Little Big Horn" was a strategy type game , I was only about 5 or 6 at the time and this seemd a game for older kids to me (my older brothers pal had this game) - pretty sure it wasn't as complex as Campaign (that was difficult). Despite all these types of games I remember mostly playing with those smaller boxed games like Coppit, Mousie Mousie and my favourite Flying Hats (I think these are still all available in some form) seem to remember the boxes to these (Spears games?) being brightly coloured and stylish (retro now I suppose). I also have memory of Magic Robot ( a toy robot board game the robot pointed to the cards / answers) and wanting this (didn't get it :x ) but a friend did and it bored me playing withit after a few hours. There was also a pretty strange Matchbox toy (not a game) a friend had that was looked great on TV called Cascade that basically involved droping ball bearing type err balls onto drum like objects (sonds strange but it was kinda cool for a while). A personal favourite toy of mine was the Matchbox Motorway (loved it as I collected Matchbox cars as a kid) and (another toy I have never seen since ) called Trick Track - saying that I spent more time with my annuals, comics , drawing pad and plasticine.Oh I'm all nostalgia'd out now :)

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The 'Battle of the Little Bighorn' game and 'Campaign' are similar ( I still have pristine copies of both) although the latter is rather more complicated than the former. As you
can probably see from the illustration SB your memory is playing tricks with regard to the railway aspect of the Bighorn game. I think you may be remebering another Waddington's game of the time called Railroader which featured Casey Jones type trains forging their way West against all types of odds.
Certainly remember Trik Trak too with all those cardboard features to build to make the track more scenic.
I was also someone who actually owned a Johnny Seven gun over forty years ago. A wonderful weapon even if the red nosed side-rocket had a bit of a hair trigger.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Hi Kash' - I don't recall the name "Railroader" but the description you gave of "Casey Jones" type trains is spot on - that's what it must have been - excellent work again. Glad someone remembers Trik Trak (spelling looks right sorry about mine) I remember the cars were quite thick and heavy (looked like 50s F1 type cars) and there was a set up with(plastic) logs it would crash through after going up into a maze like section. Thank you all again.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

I remember a TV advert for a “Casey Jones” type train set which featured all manner of exciting things like rockslides etc. My parents couldn’t get it anywhere so I ended up with a Playcraft train set (cheaper version of a Hornby one)

I also have a vague recollection of a friend having an action man sized spy figure that came in a compartmentised briefcase which I think was a tie in with one of the lesser Gerry Anderson shows possibly Secret Service.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I used to get one big board game at christmas or birthday,Haunted House was another favourite.
I had Flying Hats but not coppit, they always had ads in the Wizard comic for Spears games.

Jackstraws was another fun game.(I don't know if these are all great toys from childhood I'm putting up here just nostalgia)

Looking at Trik Trak now I think I just about recall it

I don't remember Railroader either.

My mate had Moviemaker and Escape from Colditz, a few of us used to go round to his house and play in his loft where he had his massive trains set all the way around the loft.

What set was it?

Right that's enough nostalgia for today, I'm starting to dream about my great childhood.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I once had the `Johnny Seven` multi-function gun circa 1965 I think! Anyone old enough here to recall this fella!
A Face unclouded by thought.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

alanultron5 wrote:I once had the `Johnny Seven` multi-function gun circa 1965 I think! Anyone old enough here to recall this fella!
Alan look at the first post :D

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

OMG Steel that is me now officially in nostalgia heaven for the rest of the week, what an amazing array of pictures.I've not seen any pictures of Trik Trak and Matchbox Motorway since they were in the comics (and when I had them) and Mousie Mousie and the "mighty" Flying Hats game looked great after all these years (& brought back lots of happy memories of me palying with my family/pals with them) And yep Railroader was definately the game I was associating with "the Battle of Little Big Horn". Seeing these pictures has honestly brough a massive smile to my face - Ive printd these out and will take them to my mates/brother to look at again again thanks to all for that. Oh and JACKSTRAWS another great game (but your right it is probably only in relation to being a 7year old) - Gawds most of those games I playEd/owned over40 years ago :) :cry: :o

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

OH! I never noticed the start of the thread!! Gosh! brings back memories! There was the front missile! The `side missile` which was Red! The Grenade launcher! The bullets-they got lost easily! The Lugar was detachaeble! It fired those gunpowder cap strips! Those are the `aspects` of it I recall most!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's the advert for the Man from UNCLE attaché case. I've had this photocopy in my drawer at work since 1998. i knew it would come in handy.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

STARBOY wrote:OMG Gawds most of those games I playEd/owned over40 years ago :) :cry: :o
Funny getting old init starboy. :(
I think about it now & seems like yesterday when I was playing these games with my old school mates in the 70's.
Oh well look forward. :cheers:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

It was always action figures for me, principally. Here are the Fonz, the Denys Fisher Cyberman and a quartet of Mego superheroes plus one damn dirty Ape.