Football season 2011/12

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Football season 2011/12

Post by Digifiend »

Depressed? Why? Was your team relegated or something?

As for the derby, I guess it's down to the wire. Any dropped points from either team will probably cost them the title.

In other news, apparently Hull City suspended manager Nick Barmby for talking to the press about the need to strengthen the squad for next season - something most managers do. What the hell are the owners thinking!?! :x

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Digifiend wrote:Depressed? Why? Was your team relegated or something?
Haha no, it's because it looking like Sheffield Wednesday has pipped us to 2nd place in league 1 with 1 game to go. If it stays that way Sheffield United will have to go in the Play Offs, something I was hoping to avoid.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Oh yeah, didn't notice your avatar, lol.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

:lol: I'll see what happens Saturday first we could sneak back in you never know. If not we'll have to.make sure we win the Play Offs.

As for Hull if that's what it takes to get sacked these days we'll see a lot of managers departing at summer times.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And now Hull City have sacked the director of football operations, Adam Pearson. Who happens to own Hull FC rugby league club, which share the KC Stadium whose Stadium Management Company is owned by Hull City's owners (although the stadium itself is council owned). This'll be interesting... (unfortunately, for the wrong reasons).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Both Sheffield clubs are playing already relegated clubs so both should win. But relegated Wolves put up a fight against Swansea last Saturday drawing 4-4 so you never know.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

stevezodiac wrote:Both Sheffield clubs are playing already relegated clubs so both should win. But relegated Wolves put up a fight against Swansea last Saturday drawing 4-4 so you never know.
I know and if Wednesday win against Wycombe I still hope United beat Exeter to go into the Play Offs on the back of a win.

As for Wolves against Swansea that match let my Dad down on his coupon last week so with that knowledge I told him to bet on Wednesday this weekend. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So United and City both won today. Looks like it's down to the wire. Whoever gets the better result next week wins the title, if they match each other or the sky blues do better than the red devils, Manchester City become the fifth winners of the Premier League (after Man Utd, Blackburn, Arsenal and Chelsea).

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Come on City.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

So Blackburn remain the only former Premier League champions to be relegated, now twice. I read earlier that if nothing changes at the lower end, this will be only the second time that noone promoted from the championship has been relegated the next season.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I guess it just depends how Bolton get on against Stoke as I can't see QPR getting anything against Man City.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Barmby's sacking is now official, and Blackburn, after being relegated, have sacked their deputy CEO. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18005433

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Manchester United won't finish the season trophyless whatever happens this weekend...

The reserves have won the league. After a penalty shoot out apparently. I guess they use the play-off system like rugby league.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well we'll never see a closer finish again. United won their game 1-0, and with City losing 2-1, they thought they'd won the title. But during 12 minutes of stoppage time, City got two goals, winning their match 3-2 and snatching the title. But I've never known a match have 12 minutes of stoppage time.... did the ref lose track or something? I can see cries of fix coming from some angry fans.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:Well we'll never see a closer finish again. United won their game 1-0, and with City losing 2-1, they thought they'd won the title. But during 12 minutes of stoppage time, City got two goals, winning their match 3-2 and snatching the title. But I've never known a match have 12 minutes of stoppage time.... did the ref lose track or something? I can see cries of fix coming from some angry fans.
Typical Man u fan exaggeration extra time it was 5 minutes,
makes a change from Man u getting all their goals in extra time when their losing.
Well done city :lol:
A Different team at last winning the premier.