David Croft leave your tribute here

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

Re: David Croft leave your tribute here

Post by alanultron5 »

For me -the best line David Croft wrote, was I think in "Menace From The Deep" (Dad's Army) where Jones is boring the others by relating tales of ship board like! He goes and calls the Coxswain the "Cock Swine!!" Mainwearings reaction is just wonderful!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

For me it was in Keep Young and Beautiful when Fraser tries to make himself, Jones and Godfrey look young with embalming fluid, hair dye and make-up. Mainwaring looks at Godfrey and says "He looks like Madam Butterfly"

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I love the one where Captain Mainwaring is directing his men to place their oars into "those things" on either side of a rowing boat - at which point Fraser shouts out "rollocks!" (rowlocks) in the most insulting manner possible. :)

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As BBC2 are showing a 'tribute' to the amazing Mr Croft from 7.20 tonight I thought it'd be worth reviving this thread to point out that Dad's Army and Hi De Hi weren't his only TV creations to find their way into comic strips. As you can see below the BBC's Fast Forward magazine also had a go at 'Allo 'Allo! for a time during the late 1980s.

The artwork might not be quite up to the standards of Ford and Titcombe but to my mind the script has a surprisingly authentic ring!

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

see the tribute here for only one week.........also got out my dvd and watched hi-de hi tonight as well....so much laughter and smiles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... vid_Croft/

Thanks Phil good to finally see it..could you show the whole thing and I'll do a blog post on this new inspired david Croft comic strip..thanks when you have the time..

NP

Post by NP »

'Allo Allo' in Fast Forward was drawn by Andy Hunt. The first ones were written by Kern Roderick-Jones but later ones by Andy Hunt. David Croft supervised the writing and drawing by OKing it.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks for the background info Nigel - it's great to hear from someone who was actually there at the time (and especially nice to know that David himself had a certain amount of input into the strip). I don't know if it's my imagination but I seem to vaguely recall seeing a version of 'Are You Being Served' somewhere or other as well. It's a shame that the people who complain about the TV and Media celebrities appearing in the current Dandy don't realize that such strips are really continuing a Great British Tradition that goes back for a century or more!

Here's the whole of that page btw Peter (Daft I call it! :) ):

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

it was worth seeing the whole of it :lol:

thanks for the extra info Nigel i'll do a blog post on this soon
:)