BEEZER newbie here! Help required!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

BeezerNostalgic

BEEZER newbie here! Help required!

Post by BeezerNostalgic »

Hi Everyone, it says I should introduce myself on this forum if I'm new! Well I've set myself the task of obtaining a copy of all the Beezer comics from the 1st in 1956 to the last (in A3 large format) in 1981 !!! I used to love getting the Beezer comic put through our letter box each Tuesday morning with my dad's newspaper between 1975 and 1981 - I was aged 7 when I started to read it, then perhaps grew out of it when I was 14ish, in the early 80's, but now I'm 44 and suddenly love the idea of reminiscing with them again! :idea: I think my Beezers eventually got thrown out at jumble sales etc. The artwork and stories were brilliant! I much prefered the Beezer to the Beano. So thats 1300 comics I'm gonna be collecting! They must be at least of 'good' quality and not torn, I know the paper starts to colour a little with age. Wish me luck! Can anyone help with suggestions? I've already started using Ebay and so far have about 200 copies, I am listing them as I get them so not to get duplicates. But how much should I (sensibly) expect to pay for copies from the first year in 1956? ie no.s 1 to 50 . And how easy is it to obtain them? I will read 'the Beezer blog' on the 'Retired DCT titles' forum, but wanted to say hello here!

klakadak-ploobadoof

Re: BEEZER newbie here! Help required!

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Hi and welcome to the Forum! Here are a couple of useful links if you want to know what prices collectors pay for comics. One is an established eBay seller (phil-comics) and the other one is a postal auction (Comic Book Auctions Ltd.):

http://www.phil-comics.com/auction_results.php

http://www.compalcomics.com/results/index.htm

I bought my Beezer Nos 1 to 67 from an online seller. They are all high grade copies stored flat and No. 1 comes with the free gift but I’d rather not reveal the price I paid for them as some people might think I am silly :) On the other hand, the last Beezer No. 1 that I’ve seen on eBay went for £385 without free gift…
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

BeezerNostalgic

Thanks for those sites, it seems the early editions of the Beezer need not cost more than £15 each , but obviously the no. 1's are always sought after!

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

I found the first Beezer Annual in a second hand bookshop for only £7 if it was in mint condition it could be worth over £100! Beezer is one of my favourite comics, its always had good solid characters and funny ones too. I hope you can find all the Beezers that you need, I also hope that you will find any information that you need on this forum. I'm sure you will also add a lot of information to the forum also.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

i also love The Beezer...very well written and drawn..
1960 the early 60's are great...love Leo Baxendale's Banana Bunch best..

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

To me Colonel Blink and Watkin's Ginger, the Badd Lads, and the Numbskulls were the highlights, but the Banana Bunch in the annuals were incredible! I especially love the inside covers in some of the early annuals.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've mentioned "Ken's Paper Collectables" website on here before and his website currently shows he has 290 copies of the Beezer from the 1970s at £2 apiece. He always gives a discount if you buy in bulk. He will probably be at the ephemera fair in London tomorrow which I will be attending before popping across the road to the comic fair at the Royal National.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

BeezerNostalgic wrote:Hi Everyone, it says I should introduce myself on this forum if I'm new! Well I've set myself the task of obtaining a copy of all the Beezer comics from the 1st in 1956 to the last (in A3 large format) in 1981 !!! I used to love getting the Beezer comic put through our letter box each Tuesday morning with my dad's newspaper between 1975 and 1981 - I was aged 7 when I started to read it, then perhaps grew out of it when I was 14ish, in the early 80's, but now I'm 44 and suddenly love the idea of reminiscing with them again! :idea: I think my Beezers eventually got thrown out at jumble sales etc. The artwork and stories were brilliant! I much prefered the Beezer to the Beano. So thats 1300 comics I'm gonna be collecting! They must be at least of 'good' quality and not torn, I know the paper starts to colour a little with age. Wish me luck! Can anyone help with suggestions? I've already using Ebay and so far have about 200 copies, I am listing them as I get them so not to get duplicates. But how much should I (sensibly) expect to pay for copies from the first year in 1956? ie no.s 1 to 50 . And how easy is it to obtain them? I will read 'the Beezer blog' on the 'Retired DCT titles' forum, but wanted to say hello here!
1950s ones around £12-15 a bit more if they've got free gifts Xmas/fireworks/April fools ect 1960s around a tenner apiece and the 70s as Steve said a couple of quid each and if they've got a fold line down the middle expect to pay bit less

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

The Beezer (in the 60s ) was my favourite kids comic - I never felt it go the credit it deserved among fans -I regularly see copies of old Annuals (77 - 90 ) in second hand shops (there are about 5 in the Glasgow area at present so hopefully some in your area) for around £3 each - There was also a "Best of Beezer" comic a few years ago reprinting some of the better strips (a quicker way of getting a look at some of the stories from your childhood- I think I have a few in my house -l you can have them for postage if your interested)

BeezerNostalgic

Yes thats kind of you. Thanks for all the replies. I've now got a QUARTER of the entire Beezer collection! :D (only interested in the big A3 size 1956 to 1981) .
Collected 315 so far, the majority in the mid-seventies, but some early additions as well, which of course I have never read before!!!
I've got number ONE :cheers: no. 2 , 6, 8, 10, 12 to 17 , also some from 1958 and they are quite colourful and interesting to read, my favourite is Pop, Dick and Harry! Of course when gaps are filled then I can read the serials! The prices mentioned above are about right, but just dont tell the wife how much I'm spending! :shhh: