Dreams and Nightmares.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Dreams and Nightmares.

Post by Kashgar »

When we are asleep and our unconscious minds hold sway they seem to like a good old rummage through the tea-chests of memories, sensations and fantasies that our conscious minds occupy themselves with in our waking hours.
And the resultant dreams are like the meals in those cookery programmes were a chef is given four or five disparate items and told to construct something edible from same with the unconscious minds cookbook having no hard or fast rules based in the logic of the waking world. The result, a satisfying feast or a dyspeptic extravaganza by turns.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I remember having one dream that was exactly like a Charles Hamilton boarding school story. We were doing a 'tuck raid' on a nearby girls' school, one of them caught us, but we'd stolen a hamper from some bullies, so she let us escape out of the window after we promised to give her a share. I want more like that! (especially if it lasts long enough to get to the eating!)

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Weird dream the other night about which I remember nothing except the name of a glamorous woman I scribbled in my bedside notebook - Mercedes Bikino! :)

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I've had one dream/nightmare that I've had 2 reminders of recently:

It's one where I'm watching this year's World Cup in the daylight - I know England are Not one of the teams playing - where a big disaster unfolds in front of me where a stand collapses like a Mexican wave in reverse.

Reminders were: 1. on the news its been showing stands still not yet completed the first match kick off on Thursday. and
2. there was a disaster at French club Bastia where a temporary stand collapsed. A few years later when I lived in Newcastle I was reading a pictorial historu of Newcastle United where Bastia knocked them out UEFA cup in 1977; an acquaitance pointed out that the Bastia player swapping shirts looked like Jimmy/Phil Daniels from the film "Quadrophenia". I was watching that very film late at night on ITV4 recently (when I had insomnia).

I had this dream a year or so before today, so I got reminded. I hope what I saw won't happen for real!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

JT Mirana wrote:Weird dream the other night about which I remember nothing except the name of a glamorous woman I scribbled in my bedside notebook - Mercedes Bikino! :)
You've got to develop her as a character! She could be the next Modesty Blaise. Get a mini comic out quick to copyright her.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

DavidKW- any chance of a sketch?

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Lew Stringer wrote:
JT Mirana wrote:Weird dream the other night about which I remember nothing except the name of a glamorous woman I scribbled in my bedside notebook - Mercedes Bikino! :)
You've got to develop her as a character! She could be the next Modesty Blaise. Get a mini comic out quick to copyright her.
:lol:

Actually, that's not a bad idea...

:idea:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

She sounds well-developed, JT: show us what ye got on her!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

JT Mirana wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
:lol:

Actually, that's not a bad idea...

:idea:
It's such a brilliant name for a character it'd be a shame not to use it. Go for it! Paul McCartney is said to have created the melody for Yesterday in a dream, and it worked out fine for him. :up:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I had a flashback of a strange dream I'd had about 15 years ago:

The reminder came when I was watching my regular fix of Top Of The Pops 1979 on BBC4 (those which are not yewtreed). Host Kid Jensen talks to a nurse & plugs that years' Year Of The Child charity thing.

That year they did a party in Hyde Park in aid of it featuring a lot of kids' faves & TV hosts (hopefully Rolf & Jimmy weren't there). It was televised and when it started raining in a washout summer they had Ed Stewart trying to get the crowd singing to lift spirits & pulled Lulu on stage to help.

In my dream that scene re-occured - but the kids from South Park were in the crowd with Cartman leading the heckling & kids singiong rude versions of sonfs kids forced to sing at school (like when the saints go marxching in & one obscure one my class got forced to sing on circus coming to town).

I told someone I knew on this & she commented on how in 79 adults still thought kids were innocent but the reality was they were more like South Park & worse. I agreed - kids in my primary school class were swearing more than SP and knew more on other life facts!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

My spy character Eugene Manx was named in a dream. He's a German, though that name doesn't sound particularly German. The dream was also set in Tokyo in the future (2010), and he had a shape-shifting car. But in the comic, I moved him to 1950.

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

I vaguely remember having a dream a few years back where I met Dennis The Menace and Minnie The Minx and they took me on a tour of Beanotown! I got to meet a few other characters and do a bit of menacing. I don't know if I was a comic character or not as it was all in the 1st person, but if not I would guess I'd look rather strange to them.
It's said that dreams are often based on things that happen in our day, so I guess this is what happens when you end up spending time reading all the comics you've been collecting.

Komic Brew

Post by Komic Brew »

Hey, great theme! My works are mostly inspired by dreams and nightmares :)
I only read the war premonition dream so far, will read the others though, one at a time.
http://www.komicbrew.com - your freshly brewed comics

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I had a dream last night where I found some Beano comic libraries or fun size Beanos but they were drawn by some of those new artists that have been drawing in the Beano for the last year or two. The comics looked quite good but I think I only saw (well dreamt) the covers. I was going through a big pile of them looking for ones I wanted to buy.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Had this nightmare the other night - dreamt I died and had 36 hours on earth as a ghost to do things. My face gained spots decomposing over time. Ended with me exhausted and lying down in a car park near shops near where my mother lives.

Hope this is not an omen, especially given I've have a terrible 2016.

This is a bit of a comeback for me on this site as I've not posted anything for most of this year due to a lot of personal problems, including bereavement and nervous exhaustion caused by so many things.

Hoping to up my contributions to this site soon.