Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson has died

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DavidKW

Re: Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson has died

Post by DavidKW »

Just remembered, there was the Anderson show of the 60s that never was, which I think was due to follow Thunderbirds - "Candy & Andy", which re-emerged as an under 5s comic. Saw an annual once - very very creepy!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Who used to watch Space Precinct in the 90's, that was one of his too, wasn't it?

I can remember it having some fantastic model / costume work, with CGI enhancements, rather than just going down the route of "pure" CGI.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I remember "Space Precinct" - have to say I wasn't impressed, possibly due to lack of good likeable characters.

I think this was a pet project of Gerry's originally titles "Police In Space" of which a pilot was made 10 years before.

Gerry wanted to make a serious gritty bit of sci-fi - I think it had been influenced a bit by "Hill Street Blues". The trouble was that people had come to expect more lighthearted family based TV shows from Gerry & it was scheduled at 6pm on BBC2. Gerry hasd wanted a later slot and was frustrated at what would be his final chance to say he's a serois film maker with humans.

Gerry was also frustrated at the scheduling of the CGI Captain Scarlet remake - lost amongst the gunge of "Ministry Of Mayhem".

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Just noticed someone in this week's Radio Times wrote in expressing disgust that no TV cnannel has shown or repeated any Anderson shows or documnetaries on it tribute.

A disgracre hear hear!

Perhaps his shows are seen as too good or intelligent for today's Tv dross!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Actually there was an item on Radio 5 yesterday about the new Thunderbirds series. Normally I tend to be a bit wary of attempts to revive much-loved childhood favourites, but this sounds as though it should be pretty good with the guy who originally played Parker already signed up and the people who did Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings handling special effects.

- Phil Rushton

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I have mixed feelings about remaking a quality show like Thunderbirds.

However the re-make of Captain Scarlet a few years ago was quite good - different in tone, but still in the spirit of the original.

Hope ITV scedule the re-make better than the ridulous scheduling of the Scarlet re-make - amongst the Satuday morning gunge of Ministry of Mayhem, when it deserved a plum early evening Saturday slot.