Police Boxes

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

chrisb

Re: Police Boxes

Post by chrisb »

but I believe that colcool007's main point, that the artist would tend to draw what he was familiar with, must surely be valid.
I don't think anyone was disputing that. I was merely pointing out that he had misidentified the artist.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

chrisb wrote:I was merely pointing out that he had misidentified the artist.
It looks as though Colin was having a senior moment, but as he isn't old enough to have any, he must have been sidetracked, thinking and salivating about the vast collection of comics he is due to pick up this weekend. He'll soon be back on his normal even keel.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, Colin did seem to be salivating, however, I don't know that Ray Moore from Adam but, thank you for enlightening me. One of the excellent reasons for being on this forum is the new things I learn. You might not be interested but I'm going to tell you and all the rest anyway, that the Ray Moore I referred to was the original and now almost legendary, first artist to draw The Phantom, in 1936.
I'm quite happy to accept your Mr.Moore's assertion that Mr.Crichton drew Korky (yet another thing I didn't know) but, while respecting his knowledge in the matter, I was talking about the great Ray Moore, artist on the greatest newspaper strip and first to draw the Ghost Who Walks.
Always grateful to learn something new and to attempt to inform. As they say in Asda, "Happy to help".

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:I don't know that Ray Moore from Adam but, thank you for enlightening me.
Ray is the forum member and guru, Kashgar. Most of us are in awe of his knowledge about artists and their work.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

However unlikely, it's interesting to speculate that the parents of our own Ray Moore (aka Kashgar) could have actually named him after the legendary Phantom artist! :)

And speaking of The Ghost Whose Costume Runs, this British annual from 1967 is particularly odd in that it features the red version on the front and inside cover, while the interior strips portray the more normal purple outfit!

...However all these examples pale into insignificance next to The Spider, whose costume seemed to change colour every other week!!! :?

- Phil Rushton

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

The mystery over Korky's nose is why it's white in the comic and red on the annual covers. The same applies to his eyes, white in comic, lime green on annual.

As I remember it, the Broughty Ferry police box was blue.

How many comic artists were living in Broughty Ferry in the mid-sixties? I was there three years, and had no idea that the comics I read were drawn locally.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

philcom55 wrote: ...However all these examples pale into insignificance next to The Spider, whose costume seemed to change colour every other week!!! :?

- Phil Rushton
Well, the most obvious explanation for that would seem to be the simplest one: maybe the Spider owned more than one costume, and not all in the same colour. Seems logical to me. I don't have a wardrobe full of identical suits.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...He was certainly vain enough! :)

As for that Dandy cover, surely it would have been coloured in-house rather than by the artist.

- Phil R.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

tony ingram wrote:Well, the most obvious explanation for that would seem to be the simplest one: maybe the Spider owned more than one costume, and not all in the same colour. Seems logical to me. I don't have a wardrobe full of identical suits.
Batman certainly did...

The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

suebutcher wrote:The mystery over Korky's nose is why it's white in the comic and red on the annual covers. The same applies to his eyes, white in comic, lime green on annual.

As I remember it, the Broughty Ferry police box was blue.

How many comic artists were living in Broughty Ferry in the mid-sixties? I was there three years, and had no idea that the comics I read were drawn locally.
Dudley Watkins definitely lived in Broughty Ferry in his last years, in Reres Road, in a big pile called Winsterley.

Leo Baxendale and David Law also made the move to Dundee to be nearer the offices: in the case of Law it wasn't that far from his native Edinburgh.

I'm sure there were others........

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

They still have old disused police boxes in Scotland (pic here from a holiday to Edinburgh). Some are painted red, such as the Glasgow ones:
http://marabese.co.uk/Police_Box

Also if you ever get a chance to visit The Metropolitan Police's training ground in Hendon, they use one as a shed there. A quick search will show some great pics of this.

Other people build special ones in their gardens:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116123821 ... 0875935845

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

From Dandy 874, 23/8/58.
874DDa.jpg
874DDb.jpg

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Matrix

Which comic did your Lion And The Unicorn scan come from?

matrix

Post by matrix »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:Matrix

Which comic did your Lion And The Unicorn scan come from?
That is from 'Princess', can't give exact date as don't have it anymore. It is probably a reprint from 'Girl' with a different heading (although I'm not a hundred on that) which they did quite a lot. I think the year is 1966 .

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

From a 1961 Dandy, yer actual Broughty Ferry police box with the air raid siren on top. I've been strolling around the town in Google Street View whilst recovering from the flu, and I'm fairly sure the box stood on the corner of Forthill Rd and Cedar Rd about a quarter mile north of the main street. I couldn't find the Dudley Watkins house in Reres Road. Where's the blue plaque, then?! There should be one, he was DCT's star artist for years.
Attachments
Broughty police box.jpg