New to the Forum

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:There is one early issue of Red Arrow on ebay right now for £18.50. It has a tear across the cover but I might get it just to have a copy of that title.
Don't do that, Steve. As you only want one as an example, PM me your address and I'll send you one of my duplicates free, buckshee, and for nothing. £18.50??? I so hate chancers!!!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks for the offer but I'm quite happy to do a swap if there is anything you want? I've got a Dilbert book The Dilbert Principle. (got it for 50p a couple of weeks back).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Thanks for the offer but I'm quite happy to do a swap if there is anything you want?
Just buy me a coffee next time we meet, Steve. There is definitely no room in my house for any more printed material, Dilbert or no Dilbert!!!!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Speaking of which did Lew say that he will be at the London comic fair this Sunday?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Speaking of which did Lew say that he will be at the London comic fair this Sunday?
I'd forgotten it was this week, so probably won't be there but hopefully at the August one.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Lew's response made me wonder if he drives down or catches the train. The thing is I am 59 and have never driven and I have several friends in their 50s who have also never driven and I wondered how many forum members drive or do not drive? I suppose being a Londoner we have a bigger choice of public transport services so it depends on geography.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have never driven Steve, I have absolutely no interest in driving---here in the city I can move around the built-up traffic in the city centre just as quickly on a pushbike, which brand new costs me approx 3 months bus fares. It also keeps me fit and is more fun than walking. So far it has lasted 5 years with nominal repairs up until now.

The only time I wish I could drive is when I am doing a flitting, otherwise it is expensive and becoming a very real human problem with far too many motors on the road.

Petrol is so dear now I notice a new trend of cars waiting in jams cutting their motors off then restarting them as the lights go amber , just to save precious fuel.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

My wife has a wee car and we both drive. But I prefer to use the train and bus. Being old we both have bus passes and senior railcards. The railcards give a 1/3rd. discount on trains anywhere in the U.K. Living in Central Scotland means we have not too bad public transport and from the house, I'm only 10 mins. from the station for trains to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and the connections available from those places. Bus stop 50 yards away, so getting into our local town is quite easy.
Driving isn't a great pleasure nowadays with the amount of traffic - and I know I'm adding to it - but at least where we live it's nothing like as bad as the big cities and conurbations. The good thing about the car is we can get to local cinemas which are difficult by public transport in the evening. Even right now with all the railway work and accompanying cancellations and deviations, we can drive to a choice of Park and Rides nr. Edinburgh and use tram or bus to get into the city.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I spend a lot of time in the countryside, so driving is a necessity. It's also a pleasure as I love to load up a USB with my tunes and drive listening to obscure indie music I could never hear on the radio.

I care nothing about brands and makes but the freedom is glorious.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Lew's response made me wonder if he drives down or catches the train. The thing is I am 59 and have never driven and I have several friends in their 50s who have also never driven and I wondered how many forum members drive or do not drive? I suppose being a Londoner we have a bigger choice of public transport services so it depends on geography.
I don't drive so I rely on public transport. It's only a short walk from Euston to the mart so it'll be no problem when I attend.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I hope Hawkeye doesn't mind me highjacking his topic but lots of threads go off at a tangent he will find. I have never wanted to drive and think that owning a car must be very stressful what with road rage and the fear of drunk/drug drivers and idiots texting as they drive. Also the cost of car tax, insurance, petrol and maintenance i just can't see any pleasure in it.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Driving to a stunning place in the sunshine on a whim with my favourite music playing. Wonderful!

I would say Steve has listed the reasons why I have no interest in living in London*. Busy, noisy, unfriendly, high crime rate and expensive. And that's nothing to do with cars!

(*although it wouldn't just be limited to London)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

That's why I'm looking to get a flat outside London. They seem to be building new flats on every piece of ground (vacant lot?) in the capital with no regard for the fact we are all living in each other's laps.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I've got a licence but haven't driven for years. The only trouble is that recent Government cutbacks have all-but devastated public transport in my area so that hardly any buses now run on Sundays or after 10.00pm. As a result I'd need to make a five mile walk to and from the coach station in order to attend Sunday's London Mart! :roll: (...Currently thinking about it even so!)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Locally I will walk unless it's raining hard. On my occasional trips into Liverpool (free) and London (senior citizen's discount) I always use the train, although when I remember how casual I used to be about driving through the centre of London, over one or other of the bridges to get eventually to Norman Shaw's house in Upper Norwood on my frequent visits to buy lots of Thomson titles, I blanch. In London I tend to use the bus (free). I always use the car to get to Southport though as I would need two trains, which makes the journey quite a bit longer. When I visit my younger son and his family in Cornwall I normally drive down, but I will always go there on the train at Christmas.