Christmas Number 1...

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Christmas Number 1...

Post by Digifiend »

This year's Christmas number 1 is Clean Bandit's Rockabye, the same song that's been top of the charts for the last seven weeks, having first been released nine weeks ago... how boring! :snoring:

Apparently it's the first time that's happened since 1953, only one year after the charts started. The only positive is that it's also the first time since 2003 that the Christmas number 1 hasn't been a stunt release, a charity record, or an X Factor winner.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38407566

alanultron5

Re: Christmas Number 1...

Post by alanultron5 »

Elvis did it in 1960 with "Its Now or Never" in NME chart (In Record Mirror chart too) which was most recognised at the time! Forget what `Guinness` tell you Digi- They `messed` up pop history- BIG TIME!!
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It's the Guiness alcohol drink that usually alters my perspective---especially at this time of year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Y' ALL

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The early Guinness hit singles books were riddled with inaccuracies! A shoddy affair- missing charts (Xmas 67 for example) incorrect placings - wrong dates tp week ending! Truly abysmal!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

alanultron5 wrote:The early Guinness hit singles books were riddled with inaccuracies! A shoddy affair- missing charts (Xmas 67 for example) incorrect placings - wrong dates tp week ending! Truly abysmal!
Alan, a lot of reference books do have inaccuracies. I only have to look at some of the comic reference books and I can pick holes in some of them.

My current example is the 1997 Alan Clark Dictionary. It was proposed to be the definitive guide to British writers, artists and editors that had contributed to British comics but when such people as Jim Watson, Frank Quitely and Jeff Bevan are missed out then you know it is nowhere close but the book is still a valiant effort.

Strangely enough, this is the thrust of my current article. (The Warlord issues are on hold as I have stuff to write about and I have real life stuff to do as well!)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Interesting stuff Col! With "Guinness" it was the early volumes done by Gambicinni, Read & Rice Bros which were shoddy! Later editions were `corrected` by not just myself- but Dave McAleer and Keith Badman. The mistakes and omissions by earlier compilers would have filled a volume itself.

We knew they had cut corners to nth degree. Mr Gambicinni later made awful mess of a Euro-vision book and the publishers dispensed with him due to this!