Donald Trump/'Bad Bob Booth'

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Donald Trump/'Bad Bob Booth'

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

This one is 'sort of' off-topic although there is a perfectly valid 'comics connection ' at the heart of what I am writing.

The US maverick politician Donald Trump has the road ahead clear for him to stand against Hilary Clinton in this upcoming Novembers' USA elections: and I have to say I reckon this is cause for great concern.

--Why? I can't explain this other than I have a bad 'gut feeling' about Donald Trump, I just do not trust this guy to run a powerful nation like the USA, especially when it comes to matters of 'hovering his trigger-finger over the Nuclear Button'. There is some unquantifiable quality about him , a potent unseen 'bad vibe' that radiates from him, that I never got from any other political figure: I get the same sense of forboding looking at archive images of Adolf Hitler. Maybe this is my own personal paranoia: but the bottom line is I just don't trust Trump.

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

The world is in a real bad state politically and idealogically at the moment: probably the most precarious of my own lifetime, although the before-my-time World War 2 of course remains the ultimate yardstick of the atrocities that human beings are capable of inflicting upon each other.

In 1962 the World got the closest it ever got to Armageddon with the chilling Cuban Missile Crisis: in that case, we can all be grateful that Krushev backed down and the planet is still habitable. However, with a couple of hotheads like Trump on 'our side' and Jong in North Korea openly stating he is prepared to launch nuclear weapons at anyone he sees fit makes for a disturbing situation where neither side looks likely to back down on this matter: both of these hotheads are capable of releasing their nuclear arsenals while in the meantime, we are all distracted by our latest i-pad or facebook postings [or whatever].

Which brings me neatly to the pages of 2000 ad comic and the early epic JUDGE DREDD story, namely the CURSED EARTH. This six-months long tale ended with a corrupt American President unleashing a lethal nuclear War , resulting in such wide-spresd chaos that the democratic system is dismantled altogether, paving the way for the more Dictatorial Judge System we see in Dredds' weekly antics.

the baddie politician President who unleashes the 'Great Atomic War' later this Century [according to 2000 AD lore ] is one 'BAD' BOB BOOTH ...does anyone else on here see any similarities between Booth and Trump, and could the fantasy pages of Thargs' comic chillingly predict that Donald Trump---like Booth---could prove to be:

The Last President of the United States?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Donald Trump/'Bad Bob Booth'

Post by colcool007 »

Moved this one to non-comics discussion as I have a feeling this could go off the 2000AD reservation very quickly!

I will post my own views on Bad Bob Booth and Donald Trump later on.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Is there not enough forums to spout political views? I enjoyed this site precisely because it's not full of Corbynistas v Ukippers like every single other corner of the net.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Yes, lets keep politics (and religion) off these forums. There are plenty of other places to spout off your feelings on these subjects, and you'll most probably get a more interesting debate if you do it there.

Political (and religious) diatribe will only inflame feelings towards other members and potentially change their perceptions of the poster.

Discuss Bad Bob Booth as much as you like, but please, don't go on any political rants. They never end well.

Al

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Al wrote:Yes, lets keep politics (and religion) off these forums.
Can I just gently point out to Al that Rab quite correctly posted his thread and his comment in the Non-Comics Forum. Not only that but it wasn't remotely inflammatory. Indeed he finished with a question, which naturally invited answers. I have never been made aware of any diktat from on high that attempted to limit free speech on any of our forums. As far back as my memory will carry me the Non-Comics Forum has functioned perfectly adequately for members to post comments on any subject under the sun that has no discernible connection with comics. In my opinion this freedom of expression must be allowed to continue. Those members who agree with starscape are perfectly entitled to their opinions, and obviously do not even need to read any posts that may in future appear on Rab's thread. What is imperative though is that Rab's thread must always remain open for further comments by members, otherwise Admin are on the brink of creating a kind of online police state. The words slope and slippery come to mind, but not necessarily in that order.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The post was originally put into the 2000AD forum. I moved it across to the non-comic forum as I thought that discussion could easily go astray.

I am with Al as I would prefer to keep Comics UK as apolitical as possible but I know that if people have views on politics that are at odds with each other, then it can go horribly wrong.

Al has not said to completely ban the discussion, but he has asked if people would prefer to refrain from discussing the politics and to be honest with the proliferation of social media outlets to air one's views, it's not exactly an unreasonable request is it?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:The post was originally put into the 2000AD forum. I moved it across to the non-comic forum as I thought that discussion could easily go astray.
Good decision.
colcool007 wrote:to be honest with the proliferation of social media outlets to air one's views, it's not exactly an unreasonable request is it?
The fact that you moved the thread into the non-comics forum indicates that at the time you considered that a more appropriate forum than the 2000AD one, and it is well worth bearing in mind the possibility that many of our members are not contributors to social media sites.
colcool007 wrote:Al has not said to completely ban the discussion, but he has asked if people would prefer to refrain from discussing the politics and to be honest with the proliferation of social media outlets to air one's views, it's not exactly an unreasonable request is it?
Well Rab's thread doesn't really interest me, so consequently I will not be posting there, but I do think Admin have to be careful not to appear to be introducing arbitrary restrictions on what is a fantastic site that encourages members to express their views on all threads.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

SID

Post by SID »

:xfingers: Fingers crossed that Trump is not like Booth. At least he didn't rig the ballot box....or did he??? :?

I must admit it, it was with a morbid fascination that I watched the Elections Tuesday night and Wednesday morning which in the end left me wondering how a man like Donald Trump could be voted President.

For my part, I don't like either of them. Trump: For obvious reasons. Clinton: I was always found her a little too smug for my liking. Arrogant as if she knew better. Look how she treated official emails? But I could be being unfair as I do not know the woman.

So first Brexit, and now Trump. Interesting times lay ahead.

Just one thing to add. If you are interested, google Richard Branson meeting Donald Trump. Interesting reading.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

However Sid, two developments have appeared in the media today that have tempered my prejudice on Trump:

1] He has turned down the 400 000 Dollars per annum a US President can claim as payment for the job: Trump dismissed this as 'chump change' and it will be to him! JFK and other presidents waived their fee, too and good on them].

Another interviewee stated that they happened to help out a stranded rich guy in the USA on a freeway with vehicle problems---they never recognized the then-unknown Trump, but after helping them, Trump took their contact details and the next thing they knew, Trump paid off their remaining Mortgage.

Trump seems to have some decency---but even Hitler sent food parcels to those he thought worthy during WW2 .

Fingers crossed Trump will be OK, he is an enigma who has grabbed the Worlds' attention.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Barry Goldwater would have been a lot worse back in `64`. Anyhow; I voted for Brexit- so i'm used to this kind of thing! The EU is a far bigger threat in my opinion!
A Face unclouded by thought.

SID

Post by SID »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:However Sid, two developments have appeared in the media today that have tempered my prejudice on Trump:

1] He has turned down the 400 000 Dollars per annum a US President can claim as payment for the job: Trump dismissed this as 'chump change' and it will be to him! JFK and other presidents waived their fee, too and good on them].

Another interviewee stated that they happened to help out a stranded rich guy in the USA on a freeway with vehicle problems---they never recognized the then-unknown Trump, but after helping them, Trump took their contact details and the next thing they knew, Trump paid off their remaining Mortgage.

Trump seems to have some decency---but even Hitler sent food parcels to those he thought worthy during WW2 .

Fingers crossed Trump will be OK, he is an enigma who has grabbed the Worlds' attention.
A cynic could argue that a president's pay means nothing to him. Nor paying off a mortgage.

However it is easy to criticize.

Rightly or wrongly he has the Top Job and it's going to be a hard one for him. I wish him luck and like you say, ISPY, fingers crossed.

Alan, I voted Brexit too so more fingers crossed. Dammit! It's going to be difficult to do the washing up now.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:Alan, I voted Brexit too
Well I voted Remain. I can't see why anyone would want to dump all his/her friends and neighbours, and try to go it alone. I'm in no way a fan of isolationism. I see trouble ahead.

SID

Post by SID »

Phoenix wrote:
Well I voted Remain. I can't see why anyone would want to dump all his/her friends and neighbours, and try to go it alone. I'm in no way a fan of isolationism. I see trouble ahead.
I can't disagree with about the possible trouble ahead. Especially as I just read an article indicating that May still doesn't know what to do.

Personally I don't see voting Leave as a rejection of all things Europe. Rightly or wrongly, I just didn't like the idea of Europe having so much control over us. There's no reason why there still couldn't be a relationship.

But please I don't want to turn this into a Referendum debate.

For me, if the Powers To Be didn't want us to leave (which they didn't), then they shouldn't have given us the choice. To give us that choice with the conviction that the result would be Remain was perhaps stupid, arrogant and maybe a little naïve.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
I voted Remain too, and nothing I've seen about the Brexit shambles has made me regret that choice.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/