Your fave battle story?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Your fave battle story?

Charley's War
67%
Johnny Red
11%
Darkie's Mob
No votes
D-Day Dawson
No votes
The Sarge
No votes
The Eagle
No votes
Action Force story's
No votes
Storm Force story's
No votes
Anything else
22%
Major Eazy
No votes

Total votes: 9

Muffy

Your fave battle story?

Post by Muffy »

Mine was 'Charley's War' (of course), how about everyone else?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Your fave battle story?

Post by colcool007 »

It has to be Flying Fury for me. Ron Smith's artwork plus the supernatural element always grabbed me as a kid and it was just plain cool! 8)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Re: Your fave battle story?

Post by Lew Stringer »

Muffy wrote:Mine was 'Charley's War' (of course), how about everyone else?
Same here. The only good war story is an anti-war story as far as I'm concerned. (No disrespect intended to the craft and talent of others though.)

Lew

Cap Haggis

Your fave battle story?

Post by Cap Haggis »

Ditto not a big fan of war comics although Charleys War was excellent and my favourite
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Muffy wrote:Mine was 'Charley's War' (of course), how about everyone else?
Same here. The only good war story is an anti-war story as far as I'm concerned. (No disrespect intended to the craft and talent of others though.)

Lew
I'm afraid Charley is a no-brainer for me too - but only the one's written by Pat Mills (Goodall's scripting was far too gung-ho for me, even though Colquhoun's art remained as vibrant as ever). In fact I was generally so allergic to war and sports stories as a kid that I avoided Victor and Tiger like the plague; of course I've long since discovered that they both carried some fantastic strips from all genres inside. Oddly enough I tended to make an exception for war tales involving aeroplanes (Air Ace was easily my favourite from all the war library titles): what's more Michael Moorcock seems to have felt the same way since he refused to write any war stories for Fleetway on principle - with the sole exception of Dogfight Dixon's 'Biggles-style' exploits set in the skies of WW1.

Johnny Red certainly featured some excellent aerial artwork, and would probably have scored more highly with me if it wasn't for the fact that Tom Tully's scripts never really seemed to go anywhere.

On the other hand, with 'Darkie's Mob' I never quite knew where I stood; clearly the artwork, writing and concept were outstanding, and it could hardly be accused of glamourising war - nevertheless there was always a disturbing feeling that John Wagner found the theme of death and sacrifice a bit too attractive!

Beyond the pages of Battle my favourite anti-war strip would have to be Kanigher and Kubert's classic Enemy Ace from DC comics.

- Phil Rushton

Captain Storm

Your fave battle story?

Post by Captain Storm »

Of course it's far too easy to like Charlie's War...just like following Man United...now following Derby County...that takes a real fan!!!Now to business..I can't believe you let out Rat Pack(okay,it could come under "Anything Else").Dammit,I also liked Major Easy and of course anything by Ron Smith(Genius!)

Cap Haggis

Your fave battle story?

Post by Cap Haggis »

AHHH following Derby County is childs play, try being a Hamilton Academical supporter now that takes real manly studidity! - War strips just never got to me once I got past the age of 9 or 10 although I kept my love of Western strips for a while - I do remember liking strips sch as Union Jack Jackson in the Wizard (I think) the Wolf (or was it Lion, tiger....) of Kabul - and Sergant Rock (the UK version) but they were looong ago - also liked a strip as a kid about a coward that was the hero (if that makes sense??)
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Cap Haggis wrote:AHHH following Derby County is childs play, try being a Hamilton Academical supporter now that takes real manly studidity! - War strips just never got to me once I got past the age of 9 or 10 although I kept my love of Western strips for a while - I do remember liking strips sch as Union Jack Jackson in the Wizard (I think) the Wolf (or was it Lion, tiger....) of Kabul - and Sergant Rock (the UK version) but they were looong ago - also liked a strip as a kid about a coward that was the hero (if that makes sense??)
Cap, if you were reading comics in the 70's, then UJJ featured in Warlord. Wolf of Kabul sneaked into the Victor (Master. Clicky-ba turns in my hand!) and Warlord. The coward that got away with it all all was Captain Cadman illustrated by Mike Dorey.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!