discussing Tiger

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

discussing Tiger

Post by Peter Gray »

I've bought my first Tiger awhile back I'm now going to read it...
It has an adventure of Castaways of Shark island...sounds a bit Lord of the flies..I have the first one it begins today...

my issue is 23rd Nov 1963 it is quite a big size..

anyone Tiger fans...

Lew Stringer

Re: discussing Tiger

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:I've bought my first Tiger awhile back I'm now going to read it...
It has an adventure of Castaways of Shark island...sounds a bit Lord of the flies..I have the first one it begins today...

my issue is 23rd Nov 1963 it is quite a big size..

anyone Tiger fans...

I never followed Tiger until Jag merged into it in 1969. Then I was a reader on and off for the rest of its run.

Going by back issues I've bought, that edition you have is from a good period, when it was a general adventure comic. By the early 1970s it became an all-sport title. (Although I think it may have always had a leaning in that direction, more so than Lion or Valiant for example.)

Regarding its size, it became a standard size comic in 1965, and then changed format again in 1969 (when Jag joined it) to better paper (like Cor!!). It reverted to newsprint again a year or so before it merged into the new Eagle.

I always felt it was entertaining, but a bit "safe" (and distinctly old fashioned by the time Battle and 2000AD came out). But I understand that it was IPC's top selling adventure comic so obviously many kids enjoyed it.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

discussing Tiger

Post by Peter Gray »

I've read it...

Enjoyed a lot- Roy of the Rovers, Castaway, the fighting 13 (what was in that picture?) Cloak and Dagger made me wanted to read more...

Also good Peak of fire, Ghost of Jet ace Logan (a ghost pilot who helps them was fun) and Johnny Cougar the wrestler.
Also Voyage of the black Skull..

so lots of variety...

Though I agree with Lew humour strips mixed in with adventure is the best combination.

I think Buster had it right...
Smash...Wham...

Kashgar
Guru

discussing Tiger

Post by Kashgar »

Tiger did begin life in 1954 as a comic that paraded itself as a sporting title
but by the mid-1960's it was no more so than either of its regular stablemates Lion and Valiant. For me I can't help but think of Tiger as Tiger & Hurricane as for most of the time I was reading it that was its title having had Hurricane merged with it in 1965 and then sticking with the combined title for over 200 issues. It really went off the boil for me in the early 1970's but given the fact that it was the first boy's picture paper title to notch up thirty years of publication, and that it is still one of only three that have managed that feat, it has to be commended for that.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: discussing Tiger

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:It really went off the boil for me in the early 1970's but given the fact that it was the first boy's picture paper title to notch up thirty years of publication, and that it is still one of only three that have managed that feat, it has to be commended for that.
Would that be 2000AD, Victor and Tiger then?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

discussing Tiger

Post by Kashgar »

Yes Col, they are the three I was thinking of.

Kashgar
Guru

discussing Tiger

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Peter, I've just checked my copy of the Tiger issue that you have i.e 23/11/63 and can supply the following bits of info which may be of interest.
Roy of the Rovers - artist Paul Trevillion
Castaways of Shark Island - artist anon I'm afraid.
The Fighting 13 - Artist Colin Dudley Page
Operation Cloak and Dagger - artist Giorgio Bellavitis
Olac the Gladiator - artist Ruggero Giovanini
Crisis Carson and The Peak of Fire - artist John Stokes
The Ghost of Jet-Ace Logan - art Brian Lewis
Mike Blade and the Atom Wreckers - art Sanches Cortes
Johnny Cougar - art John Gillatt
Voyage of the Black Skull - art Sam Fair
Re your query as to what was in the missing picture in the rugby league strip 'The Fighting 13'. It was the picture of a guy who was alive in 1875 who was meant to have been murdered in 1838. A crime that had been set up to see a local landowner hanged and his property pass on to an unscrupulous rival. As it transpired, although the said landowner was found guilty, instead of being executed he was transported to Australia and in due course as fate would have it, one of his descendants 'Digger' Smart returned to the district as a star forward for the local rugby league team. A circumstance that panicked the now local squire, whose family had profited from the original subterfuge, to try and cover his family's dark dealings. In the end he failed of course.

Peter Gray

discussing Tiger

Post by Peter Gray »

That was interesting and a very detailed story for the fighting 13 what a top story..
Thanks Kashgar....love to meet you one day...

Sam Fair rings a bell....worked for the Beano and Dandy didn't he...
Pansy Potter...

Shark island anon artist...thought this story was interesting.....of course has been done many times before..

Kashgar
Guru

discussing Tiger

Post by Kashgar »

Sam Fair did indeed work for the Dandy and Beano in the early years. He's probably most famous now for his work on the war-time propaganda strips 'Addy and Hermy' and 'Musso the Wop'.

Earl

discussing Tiger

Post by Earl »

I have about 40 or so issus from my childhood, remember Billy's Boots, Skid Solo, and I really liked Death Wish.

chaseynz

discussing Tiger

Post by chaseynz »

I started getting Tiger when I was a kid, around 1978 and I kept getting it until the merger with Eagle in 1985(?).

Over the last few years I have managed to get a lot of back issues and I now have over 900 copies of Tiger dating back to #16 (1st Jan 1955).

I see a few of them on Ebay but am not very successful in bidding on them mainly due to the value of the NZ dollar versus the pound, as well as the high cost of shipping them here.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

discussing Tiger

Post by felneymike »

I've got the Tiger annual 1974, and it's almost all sport stories except for a couple of "Jet-Ace Logan" sci-fi stories. Oh and the features, two of which arent sport related (fingerprinting and electric trains) but the rest are. Oh and one of the stories is about a wrestler, but his coach (a very very 70's beatnik who drives a beach buggy) solves mysteries while the wrestling goes on XD