Buster adventure stories

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Re: Buster adventure stories

Post by Raven »

Peter Gray wrote:I will take you advice on Valiant I'll look for them next time I go to 30th Century shop
They're usually fairly cheap on eBay (probably cheaper than 30th Century in many cases, much as I love that shop's basement!)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

[quote="Raven
They're usually fairly cheap on eBay (probably cheaper than 30th Century in many cases, much as I love that shop's basement!)[/quote]

I also love that basement :lol: but it is rather expensive even with the discount i always get but will have yo go again soon as i haven't been in months.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've just found three Valiant comics..Valiant TV21 and one Valiant Smash which I havn't read yet..so will now..

collectors sometimes forget what we already have :oops: :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Which issues did you find, Peter? Hope you'll report back with your reactions.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just read a bit..
Janus Stark tied to the bell But the moral is the bell ringing destroys the tower and falls on the villian..very clever story...the darkness shades of the strip works really well for the era..and you can sure feel the pain of the struggle..very graphic..its amazing how a strip can affect you..
not sure what to make of Captain Hurricane very over the top...the advert below was advertising War Picture library which showed the contrast..
The Nutts don't do a lot for me..
Valiant and Smash 8th May 1971

Raven

Post by Raven »

No, I'm not a Nutts fan, either.

You've got a very nicely drawn Ghostly Guardian in that issue - very macabre looking and full of strangeness, Kelly's Eye with a monster mole, a double page Swots and Blots, and a Ken Reid Banger and Masher, though. The Raven on the Wing is a fairly ordinary footbally instalment, unfortunately, without too much weirdness.

Has your copy still got the four page pink insert advertising issue one of Jet in the centre?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Yes it does.. :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

I want the free Von Hoffman's Buzzing Wasp from issue 2! I wonder if the Ratty Rasper free gift from Cor!! a few years later was a variation on that: I picture something wound round on an elastic band and buzzing when it's let go.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://britishcomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -much.html

Its great that early Buster adventure stories have been put up...as I don't have many myself..I like this strip by Mike Western...very chilling...love to know more what happened in this strip of a kid who can see the future..what other visions did he have..

Raven

Post by Raven »

Certain threads have been reminding me how much I like Andrew Wilson's adventure strips for Buster. I've still not seen any of Johnny's Journey, which ran from 14th June - 1st November 1980. No relevant issues are on eBay and they're getting ridiculously priced at over £5 to get a tatty copy lately, anyway.

So if anyone happens to have an instalment and doesn't mind uploading a little sample some time, it'd be very nice to see.

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry »

This is almost certainly necroposting but I was reading this for a better overview of the Buster adventure strips and someone was on about George and the Dragon but didn't have any panels to go with it, well i have one entry from a bunch of '60s Buster scans, also below is an excerpt from The Frozen Summer (the only one i have) and of The Dome of Doom, as the Frozen Summer scans are gone and no Dome of Doom ones were posted - just for anyone else like me who joins and wonders what they're supposed to have been looking at :) - apologies if this is bad (My fave Buster adventure strip, fyi, is still Galaxus, he's so awesome).

George and the Dragon (7th August 1971 - 25th December 1971):

The Dome of Doom (27th April 1963 - 17th August 1963)

This was reprinted as World in Peril in Valiant, god knows why they changed the name.

and finally The Frozen Summer, which I think was the best of the three (5th May 1962 -1st December 1962)

This was also reprinted in Valiant as When Earth Froze apparently, another rename, what was the point?

The art was apparently by Carlos Cruz (George) and Mike Western (Dome), I don't have any The Drowned Earth of Johnny's Journey to complete the thread though :(
Gone for 14 days...

blackpuddingbertha

Post by blackpuddingbertha »

The Leopard from Lime Street was my favourite adventure story - wish there was a graphic novel of these (and maybe Galaxus) :(

starscape

Post by starscape »

I reprinted a few stories in my comic, Starscape and also came up with a promo video showing how Billy got his costume.

See the links in my signature.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

blackpuddingbertha

Post by blackpuddingbertha »

Thanks for the link starscape - loved the video!

Will you be reprinting more of them? I'm thinking particularly of the grey ghost / leopardman robot stories that have stuck in my mind since childhood.

Fantastic art and great stories 8)

Raven

Post by Raven »

blackpuddingbertha wrote:The Leopard from Lime Street was my favourite adventure story - wish there was a graphic novel of these (and maybe Galaxus) :(
Oh, for a DC Showcase telephone directory-style compilation of Tom Tully/Mike Western Leopard From Lime Street strips.

Looks like nobody has a Johnny's Journey then? (Sob!)

Here's a typically action-packed snippet from The Siege of Castle Gloom (which I enthused about on page 2 of this thread, back in 2009!) from April 1973. Young Teddy Gloom withstands more deadly attacks from his uncle Basil, who wants Teddy offed so he can claim the inheritance for himself.
Attachments
The Siege of Castle Gloom Buster and Jet 21st April 1973.jpg