Cheeky Weekly chat......did you buy it at the time...

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

tolworthy

Re: Cheeky Weekly chat......did you buy it at the time...

Post by tolworthy »

BTW, do you intend on scanning any Disaster Des? I don't remember much about him, but I remember liking the strip a lot. A precursor to Calamity James? I have some vague recollection of him appearing in minicomic format.

Wait a minute, wasn't there a month back in 1978 of 1979 when each of the big six IPC comics included a mini-comic of one of another IPC comics? I love minicomics. The Scrooge in me felt I was getting real value for money. It's all coming back to me now...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Dooby dooby dooby doo...

was his catch phrase....also unlike Calamity James he never got hurt....everyone else did.... :lol:

[img:248:320:48082c5875]http://bp1.blogger.com/_fU62jYYMnHo/R8M ... ky+008.jpg[/img:48082c5875] see at blog..

heres a taster......very useful uploading all the covers as you get top see the characters inside the comic as well...
[img:244:320:48082c5875]http://bp3.blogger.com/_fU62jYYMnHo/R78 ... Cheeky.jpg[/img:48082c5875]

Raven

Post by Raven »

I received the 2nd February 1980 issue of Cheeky Weekly today and lo! it's the final one. I'd stopped getting it as a kid at this point, so I hadn't seen this before. Typically, Cheeky Weekly does things a bit differently, and the merger news is integrated into a two page comic strip, Cheeky meeting several of the Whoopee characters as his Saturday entry of Cheeky's Week. Interesting to see the Whoopee stars as drawn by Frank McDiarmid.
Attachments
Cheeky Weekly final issue001.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Looking through a pile of Busters the other night and found this:

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Thanks for those scans Steve. I have those free gifts somewhere. The badge was quality!

Now in the same way that suspense was recently generated in the build up to the announcement of missing Doctor Who episodes, I can say that at some point in the next fortnight I'm hoping to put up a scan of something very connected to that which is about to come my way. A little bit of comic history that should delight. I don't want to tempt fate by saying what it is as I haven't seen it for myself yet but keep following this thread...

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

You big tease, Shiner. Go on, give us a clue.