Valiant in the 60's/70's chat getting the right mix

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Valiant in the 60's/70's chat getting the right mix

Post by philcom55 »

I recently picked up a copy of that Rex issue with the wash cover: fantastic! - but then how could you go wrong with two Rex stories by Gil Kane and an Infantino Detective Chimp? In fact Kane was responsible for a number of outstanding underwater scenes over the years, including the 'James Bond' style splash to His name is...Savage no.1 and the Undersea Agent strips he produced with Gardner Fox.

Speaking of DC writers and artists of the 50s and 60s, by the way, I have a vague memory that one of them was famous in diving circles for designing some kind of underwater breathing apparatus; do you have any idea who this would have been Robbie?

Getting back on topic, here's an earlier Mike Western Valiant cover with an underwater theme:

And while I'm at it here's an Eagle cover that you've probably already seen (not sure about the artist but it could be Alex Oliphant):

...Personally I hope I never have to try out Jacques Cousteau's method for repelling sharks! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Mike Western No Hiding Place strip is eight pages and is in the ITV Annual for Boys and Girls 1964. I was going to put it on ebay but it is only fair condition. It does have a four page article on the making of Fireball XL5 with behind the scenes pics which may interest Shaqui. Here's one of them:

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

philcom55 wrote:
Speaking of DC writers and artists of the 50s and 60s, by the way, I have a vague memory that one of them was famous in diving circles for designing some kind of underwater breathing apparatus; do you have any idea who this would have been Robbie?
No, I wish I did. I'm intrigued though.

Hadn't seen that Eagle cover before so thanks for sharing. It's a beauty.

I always tell my students that if they do encounter a shark it's important to be carrying a knife. That way you can stab your buddy and swim away!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Personally I want to know what was in Laurentic's first-class baggage compartment!