Whizzer and chips number 1 and free gift.WOW.phil-comics

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Whizzer and chips number 1 and free gift.WOW.phil-comics

Post by Peter Gray »

Imageno shiner!!

Whizzer and Chips comic #1 (1969) with free gift!

Dated 18/10/69.

This was effectively two comics in one - the centre section of pages pulled out as the Chips comic (see picture) whilst the first and last parts of the comic formed the Whizzer comic. The staples are missing but the pages sit well inside each other. The two comics (Chips pulled out) can be seen side by side and the free gift (which is unused) is pictured front and back.

Comic has bright colours and light tan pages - VG.

Gift unused.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Whizzer-and-Chips ... 911.c0.m14

Lew Stringer

Re: Whizzer and chips number 1 and free gift.WOW.phil-comics

Post by Lew Stringer »

The Flicker Book was the free gift in W&C issue 2, not No.1. However, it's still a great find in that unused condition!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

this is the first time I have seen this free gift properly since assembling the flickerbook 39 years ago: the animation worked quite well, I remember.....I wonder who 'animated' it? I don't recognize the artist...perhaps IPC went to the unprecedented lengths of hiring an animator!

Should be worth a bit though; one of the more memorable free gifts ever, I reckon......

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I've been wondering, Amalgamated Press had a "comical paper" called Chips way back in the 1890's, was this "Chips" kind of a continuation of that or merely a coincidence? IPC did end up owning the AP titles didn't it? (i know they had Sexton Blake strips in Valiant, for instance)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:I've been wondering, Amalgamated Press had a "comical paper" called Chips way back in the 1890's, was this "Chips" kind of a continuation of that or merely a coincidence? IPC did end up owning the AP titles didn't it? (i know they had Sexton Blake strips in Valiant, for instance)
There was no connection with the original Illustrated Chips other than the title, but editor Bob Paynter would have been aware of the original as it ran until the 1950s, and IPC knew they owned the title. In a similar fashion IPC also revived Knockout in 1971-73, (a comic which had previously run from 1939-63) but again it had no relationship to the original except its title.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Interesting 'Sid's Snake' is in Chips!! by the late 1970s he was in Whizzer (I wonder which year Shiner was featured as well?) Lovely condition for the free gift Peter. :) :?:

Raven

Post by Raven »

Muffy wrote:Interesting 'Sid's Snake' is in Chips!! by the late 1970s he was in Whizzer (I wonder which year Shiner was featured as well?) Lovely condition for the free gift Peter. :) :?:

He was in Whizzer from issue 2. It's very interesting that the whole Whizzer v. Chips, Sid v. Shiner concept doesn't appear to be in that first issue.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I don't believe it, it didn't even sell.

Raven

Post by Raven »

I think the seller pulled the auction after realising that the description was misleading because the free gift was from a different issue.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Wonder car page 2

From Whizzer and chips annual 1973.

found this one in the annual..

Mike Western it looks like to me..

Not sure who drew this..good gag..

Raven

Post by Raven »

Thanks for that Jackie Spratt page, Peter. Those Victorian streets look rather wide and clean, but I like it! How long is the story?

Very nice artwork on The Puzzler and Wonder Car. And good to see Alfie in Africa there. That was a really nice adventure strip in the weekly; I think it only ran in 1971.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I'd clean forgotten all about 'WONDERCAR': :looks like RON TURNER artwork; the 'PUZZLERS' is very appealingly-drawn, in fact, ALL THESE IPC adventure strips are expertly-rendered.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I'd clean forgotten all about 'WONDERCAR': :looks like RON TURNER artwork

Do you remember its sequel THE CASTAWAYS, ISPYSHHHGUY, featuring the same kids and uncle marooned on an island - but the traitors had moved from Chips to Whizzer! Had Sid offered them higher pay?

Then Ron Turner did a very nice strip Archie's Angels for Whizzer - a junior flying team (were kids flying planes really legal in 1971?!)

And then maybe the most memorable of all: the shape-shifting robot that came long before Transformers - Danny Drew's Dialling Man.
Last edited by Raven on 28 Feb 2009, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Frank McD

Ron Turner
from whizzer and chips 1970 May 30th..

A. 4 pages..

Raven

Post by Raven »

That Wonder-Car is lovely.

I think Whizzer and Chips was at a peak for adventure strips in 1971 when the comic featured Alfie in Africa, Wonder-Car, Pursuit of the Puzzler, and Who is Sandy? each week.

Compare that to 1974 when the only one was the rather wet Teddy's Bear.