COR!! comic - what do you think of it?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Re: COR!! comic - what do you think of it?

Post by Raven »

What's the dinosaur story? Too early for a March of the Mighty Ones reprint, surely!

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

I don't have the 1980 Holiday Special I'm afraid. As for the dinosaur story in the 1982 special, it is called Young MacDonald & his Farm and is about a boy Andy MacDonald who had an ability to create mechanical animals which responded to his commands. The special has 8 pages of the story. I have not seen it in any other IPC comic that I have. Is it an original story rather than a reprint?
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

klakadak-ploobadoof

1981 holiday special also had 8 pages of Young MacDonald, but drawn (rather poorly) by a different artist.
Last edited by klakadak-ploobadoof on 28 Sep 2009, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Raven

Post by Raven »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:I don't have the 1980 Holiday Special I'm afraid. As for the dinosaur story in the 1982 special, it is called Young MacDonald & his Farm and is about a boy Andy MacDonald who had an ability to create mechanical animals which responded to his commands. The special has 8 pages of the story. I have not seen it in any other IPC comic that I have. Is it an original story rather than a reprint?

Ooh, joy - drawn by Ron Turner. Nice to see.

Young MacDonald also appears in the 1977 Cor!! Annual. I'm assuming he's a character who just used to appear in Cor!! annuals and specials, rather like the Toby's Time Piece adventure strips which seemed to just appear in Shiver and Shake annuals and specials.

klakadak-ploobadoof

I started putting together an index of COR!! strips and need some help with artists' names. Would anyone here know who drew these pages:

Also, is this by Reg Parlett?

Raven

Post by Raven »

The Jack Pott isn't by Reg Parlett but someone roughly approximating his style.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Young Macdonald and the Chumpions also surfaced in Whoopee annuals, from memory.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Ahh, the often overlooked Cornish national team!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Didn't Reg Parlett have a brother working as a comic artist at the same time? (George?) Seem to remember he may have drawn the Happy Family in Buster.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The 'Chumpions' are by the current 'ghost artist' of OOR WULLIE/THE BROONS: is Peter Davidson his name? He also drew 'Tin Teacher' for 'Buster' [at least, that's how I remember it] in the '60s.

'JACK POTT' here is penned by Joe Mcaffrey, who also done 'Mustapha Million' for IPC in the early seventies. I worked alongside this gent and learned that he was once an animator on the 'DUCKULA' TV series in the late 80s .

kashgar would know all this stuff......where is he, by the way? Hope he's not grounded abroad 'coz of all this 'volcano ash' stuff.....

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, the current Broons and Oor Wullie artist is Peter Davidson.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Bumped

Nice to reread again..and lovely covers