When 'Buster' Met 'Jet'

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

When 'Buster' Met 'Jet'

Post by steelclaw »

The last 'Jet' and Last 'Buster' before 'Buster & Jet'

Jet strips
Von Hoffman's Invasion
Face-Ache
The Sludgemouth Sloggers
The Dwarf
Bala The Briton
Sergeants Four
Paddy Mcginty's Goat
The Kids of Stalag 41
Adare's Anglians
Crazy Car Capers
Kester Kid
Bertie Bumpkin
Partridge's Patch
Carno's Cadets

BUSTER STRIPS
Buster's Dream World
Fishboy Denizen Of The Deep
Rent-A-Ghost Ltd
George and the Dragon
The Happy Family
Clever Dick
Galaxus The Thing From Outer Space
Smiler and Dimps
The Wizard Of Football
The Misers
Mutt 'n' Chops
The Skid Kids
Freddie Parrot Face Davies
Sherlock Jnr.The Clued Up Kid
Eager Beavers
Pest Of The West
The Astounding Adventures Of Charlie Peace
Convict 4321 Outt

The Sensational News Ad's from 'Jet'

The Exciting News Ad from Buster

The Strips that made it from 'Jet'

Von Hoffman's Invasion
The Sludgemouth Sloggers
The Kids of Stalag 41
Face-Ache
Bertie Bumpkin
Bonehead

The strips that made it from 'Buster'

Buster's Dream World
Rent-A-Ghost Ltd
Fishboy Denizen Of The Deep
The Happy Family
Clever Dick
George and the Dragon
Galaxus The Thing From Outer Space
Convict 4321 Outt
The Wizard Of Football
Sherlock Jnr.The Clued Up Kid
The Astounding Adventures Of Charlie Peace
Last edited by steelclaw on 27 Sep 2009, 12:50, edited 2 times in total.

Raven

Re: When 'Buster' Met 'Jet'

Post by Raven »

That's a lovely merger cover. No self-respecting urchin of 1971 could have left that sitting on the newsagent's shelf.

SID

Post by SID »

Agreed. Actually, if there's anyone who has a copy of the merger and would be like to sell it, I would be interested.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I always hated the dishonesty of those mergers! "GREAT NEWS PALS"!! Oh yeah?

Should read "Because not enough of you are buying `Jet` it's going to the wall and merging with `Buster` tough!" I really enjoyed `Jet` especially `Bala the Britain` and `The Sludgemouth Sloggers` Pity that not enough others did!
A Face unclouded by thought.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

alanultron5 wrote:I always hated the dishonesty of those mergers! "GREAT NEWS PALS"!! Oh yeah?

Should read "Because not enough of you are buying `Jet` it's going to the wall and merging with `Buster` tough!" I really enjoyed `Jet` especially `Bala the Britain` and `The Sludgemouth Sloggers` Pity that not enough others did!
I can remember being really upset about the 'Jet' 'Buster' merger, I loved 'Jet' one of the biggest decisions of my life was shall I continue buying 'Buster & Jet', I'm glad I did

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Steelclaw! my favourite JET story was "Bala the Briton" usually, i am so-so on sword & sorcery strips, but this one had such imagination and was drawn beautifully! I really liked the part of the story in the `Land of Light` which in a physical Oxymoron was set underground!

A character called `Neptor`(Who looked like King Neptune) had `taken` many heroes to this land where they lived happily! Every few months Neptor would require two heroes to undertake a task in the `dark-lands` sometimes one or none came back! He said they needed the stimulus of danger as their like in the `Land of Night` was softening them!

Balor realised this `soft-life` was making previously brave men fearful of the `journeys` to the `dark-lands` Bala, who had only just arrived went with one other on such a journey! After many hazardous missions he encountered a set of hideous Demons who were both feasting on those heroes sent-or turning them into animals via an ointment the demons had brewed!

The chief Demon, who really looked like the Demon in Heironymous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" mentioned that his "Brother" had served them well with a steady supply of human sacrifice! Bala realised what this meant and after defeating the Demon King and his acolytes made ot back to the `land-of-light`

Bala told the other heroes they were bieng sent as offerings to the Demon by his brother - Neptor! All turned on Neptor and drove him towards the true light of the surface world where he dissolved to nothing in the Suns pure rays! A truly great story and the main reason I pay highly for any issues of JET on E.Bay.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

alanultron5
I'm pleased to say I have all 22 Jets. 'Bala The Britain' was an excellent story and ran for all 22 Issues.
I always thought it was an old reprint from a 50's comic.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

WOW! I envy you! they are hard to get now! Did I recall that part of the story correctly? I only have three issues now and what I put on the story was from memory! There were other characters such as the giant `Grull` and the plunder God `Orm` if I recall too!

Steelclaw! Could you possibly put a picture of the Demon King I mentioned please? I am sure it was based on the character from the "Garden of Earthly Delights" portrait!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm going to have to dig them out to see about the story.
When I've got some time I will.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

alanultron5 wrote:Could you possibly put a picture of the Demon King I mentioned please? I am sure it was based on the character from the "Garden of Earthly Delights" portrait!
Is this the one you are talking about? The page is from JET dated Aug 14th.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

WOW! Thanks Steelclaw! That `King` has a face that only a mother could love! I can imagine that parts of the story could scare younger readers-I was 15 then and wasn't bothered, but had I been younger! A great story though!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

alanultron5 wrote:WOW! Thanks Steelclaw! That `King` has a face that only a mother could love! I can imagine that parts of the story could scare younger readers-I was 15 then and wasn't bothered, but had I been younger! A great story though!
You mean "Thanks klakadak-ploobadoof!" Steelclaw never got round to posting it. :tongue:

Garden of Earthly Delights:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Full apologies! Thanks to you indeed! Looks like the Demons dad is the one in the Bosch painting!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

The only 2 covers with 'Bala The Briton' on.

And the final 'Bala The Briton'

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Great to see the `finale` Though I was never a real fan of `Sword & Sorcery` type strips, I did really enjoy "Bala the Briton" That final strand of story set in the `Land of Light` was truly inventive and drawn to wonderful detail! In my view it is a undiscovered `classic` and the main reason (along with "Faceache") I will pay good money for any copies of `Jet` whenever I can find them!