Whoopee with Shiver and Shake - Issue dated 12/4/1975

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

blaing

Whoopee with Shiver and Shake - Issue dated 12/4/1975

Post by blaing »

I have a question in regards to the above issue.

I had received my issue today and have an enquiry.

I know the normal page count for Whoopee was 32 pages, but I seem to have 28 pages.

Was the reduced page count as a result of industrial action, or was the issue I received missing four pages.

Any help would be appreciated.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Re: Whoopee with Shiver and Shake - Issue dated 12/4/1975

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Your copy is missing 4 pages. That week centre pages had Sweeny Toddler, 'Orrible Hole and two pages of ads.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

blaing

Post by blaing »

Ta, klakadak-ploobadoof, You're a lifesaver :cheers:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I don't suppose one of those ads had a coupon which may have been cut out, hence the missing pages? Anyway, blaing, if the seller didn't mention that four pages were missing, I'd complain.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Digifiend.

He did ask if there were any pages missing. If there were, he would give me a 20% discount on my next order.

So, I'm taking up that offer.

Raven

Post by Raven »

blaing wrote:Digifiend.

He did ask if there were any pages missing. If there were, he would give me a 20% discount on my next order.

So, I'm taking up that offer.

What if the comics on your next order have pages missing too, though?

He should give you a 100% refund on the Whoopee really as he sold the item incomplete; it should have been clearly stated on his listing because the missing pages make it worthless as a 'collector's item.' Easy to get a refund if you paid by Paypal.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Iv'e had all day to think about it, and decided not to buy from him again.

It might have been a wasted effort if I did take up the offer. :(

Raven

Post by Raven »

blaing wrote:Iv'e had all day to think about it, and decided not to buy from him again.

It might have been a wasted effort if I did take up the offer. :(

I'd still go straight for the refund via Paypal to make him think twice about trying it on with others (though the threat of a 'negative' might make him offer one himself). These kinds of sellers spoil Ebay - from his comments to you that "if there are any pages missing ... ," it sounds like he knew all along that the centre was gone.

It would have taken him seconds to check ... before placing the listing.

Anyway ... isn't Whoopee and Shiver and Shake a fantastic comic? One of the best IPC fun comic line-ups ever, I think. At least you still have Evil Eye, Scream Inn and the Bumpkin Billionaires.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've had similar dealings myself with sellers who say things like "All comics seem to be in clean, undamaged condition but I haven't checked them all" then you find coupons cut out or a dead wasp in the middle pages.

As seller's idea of "excellent condition" often means "kept in a damp shed for 20 years" I don't buy many old comics now unless I'm positive they look ok from the photo or they're from a seller I know I can trust.

Strangely, the more recent vintage the comics are, the more damaged they seem. I've had comics from the 1930s in near-mint condition and 1980s comics in creased and stained condition. Perhaps kids look after their comics less as the generations progress?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

blaing

Post by blaing »

Raven wrote:Anyway ... isn't Whoopee and Shiver and Shake a fantastic comic? One of the best IPC fun comic line-ups ever, I think. At least you still have Evil Eye, Scream Inn and the Bumpkin Billionaires.
Yep! Whoopee (with Shiver and Shake) was one of the first Fleetway/IPC humour titles I read in my childhood days.

I'm planning to get a couple more issues soon, before years end. :)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Lew Stringer wrote: Strangely, the more recent vintage the comics are, the more damaged they seem. I've had comics from the 1930s in near-mint condition and 1980s comics in creased and stained condition. Perhaps kids look after their comics less as the generations progress?
I should think that's the law of averages at work, though. There's probably a lot more 80's comics around so you are more likely to get tatty ones that have been just shoved in a box somewhere. Whereas a comic from the 30's must have been looked after decently to have survived this long at all! (Mind you i have some stuff in pretty shocking condition, like 1911 Boys' Herald's that are just loose, crumbling pages).

Raven

Post by Raven »

blaing wrote:Yep! Whoopee (with Shiver and Shake) was one of the first Fleetway/IPC humour titles I read in my childhood days.

Were you in Australia back then? I know the IPC comics were sold there - I always noticed the Australia 20c price on them.

If so, were they well distributed or hard to find? Did they turn up many weeks late?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have some Dennis the Menace annuals on ebay right now which I have described as near mint - thought that would be ok but got one bloke asking five questions about each of them. Is the price clipped, any writing, is the spine undamaged? What doesn't he understand about "near mint"? Do sellers actually use the word mint even though it clearly isn't? I bought these as new and have looked after them ever since. Selling all my annuals if possible as they take up the most space (individually that is). Off to watch Law & Order SVU now - my new favourite tv show.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

He's obviously had the experiences the others are describing, where "nearly mint" or "excellent" would be better described as "good" if it actually got beyond "fair".

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:I have some Dennis the Menace annuals on ebay right now which I have described as near mint - thought that would be ok but got one bloke asking five questions about each of them. Is the price clipped, any writing, is the spine undamaged? What doesn't he understand about "near mint"? Do sellers actually use the word mint even though it clearly isn't? I bought these as new and have looked after them ever since. Selling all my annuals if possible as they take up the most space (individually that is). Off to watch Law & Order SVU now - my new favourite tv show.
I had a Lion Annual that was described as "Near Mint" and I had to sponge off a bloomin' dried stain that was all the back cover, and the pages were yellowed, so it's understandable that people are cautious. The bad guys made it worse for the honest ones like yourself.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/