Can anyone identify this comic character?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

martin8

Can anyone identify this comic character?

Post by martin8 »

This has been bugging me for a long time, does anyone know the answer?
I remember a comic strip from what was probably the 70s, it was about this man or boy who could split up into 3 parts. One part would be a floating head, one part would be the middle with two arms ( and a face ) and the last part being just legs (and also a face ). I think it was a British comic strip but I can't remember the comic, and as I recall, the last panel was always the same every week, with them all walking away. There was also something about fighting evil, like the bottom part would say "Stand up to evil" . This was all over 30 years ago, so my memory of it is somewhat hazy. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Peter Gray

Re: Can anyone identify this comic character?

Post by Peter Gray »

Brian Walker was the artist in Whizzer and chips..

http://www.oocities.org/pjgbrianwalker/3storeystan.html

martin8

Post by martin8 »

Yes, that's the one! Thank You.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Har, I was reading a stack of Three-Storey Stans just a few days ago, to see if it was as weird as I remembered. It was a clever, distinctive strip. I found that same last panel each week a bit odd at the time.

There's some nice stuff in the Whizzer and Chips of early 1973. Frank McDiarmid's Slowcoach was also good and increasingly weird at this time.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As you think it was a British strip, it probably wasn't this:-
http://captainmarvelculture.com/split.html
but it sort of fits your description.
And while I don't have any of the strip mentioned in the previous replies, I do have all the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel comics. Sad, isn't it.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That was the first one I thought of too Paw! :)

...Oh how the criminals trembled, knowing that their dreaded nemesis just had to shout the magic word 'Split!' and all his arms and legs would fall off! Strange that it never caught on...!

- Phil Rushton