Malice in Wonderland - Shiver and Shake

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Niblet

Malice in Wonderland - Shiver and Shake

Post by Niblet »

Quoting this from another thread to prevent it going completely off topic http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtop ... 0&start=30
tony ingram wrote:I've spent much of this afternoon adding Shiver & Shake characters to the http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Shiver_and_Shake , which has of course necessitated sitting and reading a number of them (what a hardship). I loved that comic. I preferred it to Monster Fun. And I never did find out how Malice in Wonderland ended...
What was Shiver and Shake's Malice in Wonderland about? There was a 13-page story in the 1978 Cheeky Summer Special with the same title - I'm wondering whether it was a reprint of the strip mentioned above. It looks like panel resizing has occurred at the bottom of some pages, which could be due to the title and story-so-far synopsis etc being removed.

The Cheeky Special MIW is drawn by Ron Turner. The hero is Sammy Hunter, the owner of a rather snazzy plastic ray gun (which becomes relevant later in the story). Sammy's on holiday in New York with his father, John. As soon as they arrive, Sammy's dad goes to meet a contact, but finds the man has been severely beaten. Just before he expires, the man tells Sammy's dad to go to Wonderland, which is the biggest amusement park in the world. Sammy is shocked when his dad reveals that he is a secret service agent. When they arrive at Wonderland they are menaced by an evil character called The Octopus, and face peril at a wild west show and in the haunted house etc.

Is it the same strip?

Raven

Re: Malice in Wonderland - Shiver and Shake

Post by Raven »

That's the one - a weekly double-pager in Shiver and Shake.

And, Tony, the final instalment is in the 15th December 1973 issue.

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO'S STILL A BIT BEHIND IN READING THEIR 1973 SHIVER AND SHAKES.

Sammy's dad manages to overwhelm Octopus's men who were hiding out in the aquarium, threatening to feed the Octopus to some crocodiles in there. It turns out that Sammy's toy space-gun contained the plans of a new type of defence-missile, on a roll of mico-film. Sammy now lives happily ever after, given the freedom of Wonderland.

EDIT: That should, of course, be *micro*-film!
Last edited by Raven on 22 Aug 2011, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Raven wrote:That's the one - a weekly double-pager in Shiver and Shake.

And, Tony, the final instalment is in the 15th December 1973 issue.

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO'S STILL A BIT BEHIND IN READING THEIR 1973 SHIVER AND SHAKES.

Sammy's dad manages to overwhelm Octopus's men who were hiding out in the aquarium, threatening to feed the Octopus to some crocodiles in there. It turns out that Sammy's toy space-gun contained the plans of a new type of defence-missile, on a roll of mico-film. Sammy now lives happily ever after, given the freedom of Wonderland.
Excellent! I knew that space gun was significant-it got a mention every week!

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Raven wrote:That's the one - a weekly double-pager in Shiver and Shake.
Thanks Raven. Evidently they edited out at least one page when preparing the strip for reprint in the Cheeky Summer Special.