Starlord Annual

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

tony ingram

Starlord Annual

Post by tony ingram »

I've been looking through the three Starlord Annuals and a couple of things have intrigued me. First off, does anyone know who created the one-off strip 'The Exterminator' in the 1982 annual? The art looks very familiar but at the moment it eludes me. And where did The Robot Builders originally run, and for how long? There seem to be several installments edited together here...

Possibly the single most pressing question, though: who on Earth cleared the Strontium Dog strip in the 1981 annual for publication? It is quite spectacularly badly drawn!

starscape

Re: Starlord Annual

Post by starscape »

Starlord was easily one of my favourite comics (if not the favourite) but the longer the annuals went on, the worse they got. Very poor quality after the first.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:Starlord was easily one of my favourite comics (if not the favourite) but the longer the annuals went on, the worse they got. Very poor quality after the first.
The Strontium Dog story in the third one is actually the best of the Johnny Alpha stories from the annuals, and the only one by his regular creative team, but aside from that I tend to agree. Some nice reprint material but that's about it. In fact, the Strontium Dog story is the only strip in the 1982 annual to feature a Starlord regular!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

tony ingram wrote:First off, does anyone know who created the one-off strip 'The Exterminator' in the 1982 annual? The art looks very familiar but at the moment it eludes me.

Possibly the single most pressing question, though: who on Earth cleared the Strontium Dog strip in the 1981 annual for publication? It is quite spectacularly badly drawn!
Are you able to post scans? I don't have my editions to hand at the moment... :?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Shaqui wrote:
tony ingram wrote:First off, does anyone know who created the one-off strip 'The Exterminator' in the 1982 annual? The art looks very familiar but at the moment it eludes me.

Are you able to post scans? I don't have my editions to hand at the moment... :?
This is from the Exterminator strip...

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

I think that looks like it was drawn by Gary Leach.

There's a blog post at http://progslog.blogspot.com/2007/09/st ... -1982.html by someone who also thinks that.

A listing at http://www.comicvine.com/starlord-annua ... 37-297569/ also credits Leach, and gives The Robot Builders as having originally been printed in Tiger & Hurricane

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:I think that looks like it was drawn by Gary Leach.

There's a blog post at http://progslog.blogspot.com/2007/09/st ... -1982.html by someone who also thinks that.

A listing at http://www.comicvine.com/starlord-annua ... 37-297569/ also credits Leach, and gives The Robot Builders as having originally been printed in Tiger & Hurricane
Thanks for that! Why do Comicvine have Blake's 7 listed as appearing in the book, I wonder? The only connection I can see is the photo of the Liberator on the cover...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, if Blakes 7 doesn't actually have a story in the book, why is their ship on that cover? Especially since Fleetway doesn't own the rights, and never did (Marvel had the license).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Hmm, if Blakes 7 doesn't actually have a story in the book, why is their ship on that cover? Especially since Fleetway doesn't own the rights, and never did (Marvel had the license).
And by 1981 the Liberator no longer existed, anyway...

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Digifiend wrote:Hmm, if Blakes 7 doesn't actually have a story in the book, why is their ship on that cover? Especially since Fleetway doesn't own the rights, and never did (Marvel had the license).
It wasn't a strip, it was a feature on visual effects.