Go And Find Uncle Bill (?)

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

DavidKW

Go And Find Uncle Bill (?)

Post by DavidKW »

Right my cursed/blessing photographic memory had a little flashback:

I remember a strip which appeared in the mid-1970s in one of the IPC titles (can't remember which one) that I think was called "Go And Find Uncle Bill".

It was about a lanky long-haired bloke who did odd jobs and always made a pig's ear of them.

In one I remmeber he had to deliver a big block og ice cream to a kids' party, but on the way he had a string of mishaps culminating in the ice cream ending up on top of a hot boiler. When he arrives its all melted sludge & ends with the angry father hurling it at Bill, which hits him on the back of his head.

Sorry if this is vague & an obscure strip, but does anyone else remember it?

DavidKW

Re: Go And Find Uncle Bill (?)

Post by DavidKW »

Crikey I have picked an obscurity here!

All I can also add is that I think it replaced the "Tiny Tycoon" strip in an IPC and that it was mid to late 70s.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Find Uncle Bill started in Whizzer and Chips in the 1st January 1977 issue, but Tiny Tycoon was still running. Uncle Bill forgets to put his address on the letter that says he's won the pools, so the central character with money problems has to go out and find the right Bill Smith.
Attachments
Find Uncle Bill from Whizzer and Chips 1st January 1977.jpg

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Glad we sorted that one out.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The artist used to do a lot of one panel cartoons for Tit-Bits, The Weekly News and other papers.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Is it Sax?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes it is. He still does cartoons for the Weekly News and I saw one of his in a Weekend magazine from 1958 the other day so he's one of our longest serving cartoonists. First time i've seen a strip by him.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Me too.

He was also one of the stalwarts of the Sun Fun cartoon section, when it was still going.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks for that clarity - now I know what the theme of it was & why Uncle Bill was being searched for. Has bugged me for years! Great to see strip again.

Yeah I can remember Tiny Tycoon still being there - can't remember what it replaced.

Raven

Post by Raven »

DavidKW wrote: Yeah I can remember Tiny Tycoon still being there - can't remember what it replaced.
It may have been Jolly Roger V Skully Crossbones going from a double to a single pager that made room for it.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Raven said:

It may have been Jolly Roger V Skully Crossbones going from a double to a single pager that made room for it.

Got me going now - does anyone have any moemories/examples of JR v SC - I have vague memories of it.

Raven

Post by Raven »

DavidKW wrote: Got me going now - does anyone have any moemories/examples of JR v SC - I have vague memories of it.
It was about a cabin boy's (and his parrot's) regular tussles with a skull-faced pirate.
Attachments
Jolly Roger V Skully Crossbones Whizzer and Chips 19th March 1977.jpg

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Nice one, Raven! Bringing back memories there.