Whizzer and Chips TV Advert

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

George Shiers

Whizzer and Chips TV Advert

Post by George Shiers »

Back when Whizzer and Chips was launched in 1969 a television advertisement for the comic was aired. I've searched high and low for this advert, contacting many collections and a few TV stations, but all results have been fruitless. Does anybody know where I might find a recording of this ad or even better does anybody have it? The only description I've come across of it is this one by Terry Bave:

"The launch [of Whizzer and Chips] proved a great success, attracting a large readership, even one or two pleasent remarks appeared in the National Press, one such comment suggested that the new comic appeared 'reminiscent of the comics of the thirties', which frankly I took as a welcome compliment. The whole event was backed up by television advertisements which Shiela and I viewed transfixed. We watched in amazement as a fully animated section of 'our' comic strip, Ginger's Tum, came to life on the screen!"

Any help in my quest would be much appreciated!
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

stevezodiac

Re: Whizzer and Chips TV Advert

Post by stevezodiac »

At the comic fairs I have, in the past, picked up "pirate" dvds of vintage tv adverts. It may be among them but I've yet to watch the dvds all the way through. After about 17 Cinzano Bianco adverts followed by 19 for Fairy Snow my patience wears thin.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Well, if you ever do watch them and it turns up please let me know! :)
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The ones I found today are all American produced but I do have a British one because I remember the multiple Fairy Snow adverts featuring a true life husband and wife showbiz couple The Randalls.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:The ones I found today are all American produced but I do have a British one because I remember the multiple Fairy Snow adverts featuring a true life husband and wife showbiz couple The Randalls.

Quite a few years ago (around 1989 I think), there was a two or three part series on TV which compiled loads of old TV ads from the fifties to the 80s. There were definitely some DC Thomson comic ads amongst them (the 1960s thunder bang one startling the tramp, for one). I don't think it included the one for Whizzer and Chips, but of course every comic back then had a TV ad for its launch.

Apparently that compilation of ads can never be repeated because, as I understand it, they either didn't have permission to screen them all in the first place or it'd be too complicated and costly to show it again. However, if you have it on tape/disc there are definitely two or three comic ads on there.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I distinctly remember seeing the telly ads for the launches of KNOCKOUT [1971] and the Scottish version of VULCAN [1975] both of which contained brief animated depictions of some of the characters/cover [in that order].

Often you would get an animated view of a ' free gift spinning top' [for example] in action : these ads were usually very brief due to the high cost of putting them on, but they always got my full attention and are sadly part of a bygone era.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm almost finished moving out of my flat (thousands of comics now in storage) but yesterday I came across the dvd Classic UK Adverts of the 60s and 70s. A three disc set. When I get settled I'll have a look at it.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

stevezodiac wrote:I'm almost finished moving out of my flat (thousands of comics now in storage) but yesterday I came across the dvd Classic UK Adverts of the 60s and 70s. A three disc set. When I get settled I'll have a look at it.
Thanks for that - fingers crossed! :xfingers:

Comicdevotee

Post by Comicdevotee »

I can remember the TV Advert for Shiver and Shake in 1973 with Peter Hawkins as the voice of Shiver and Arthur Mullard as the voice of Shake.
It was beautifully animated - I couldn't wait to buy it at the time.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I would love to track down the ones for the launch of `Sparky` in early January 1965. Sparky also had ads when it ran free gift promotions in Sept 1967 and Feb 1969- love to see those! There is some chance of TV adverts existing from the 1960s as they were almost all made on film so could not be electronically wiped! However- they could have been physically junked though!

The `Ads` show on channel 8 (The Big Center TV station for West Midlands) did show the `Bunty` comic ad from about 1965, just recently -so who knows!?
A Face unclouded by thought.