Telegoons in TV Comic

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

suebutcher

Telegoons in TV Comic

Post by suebutcher »

I've been admiring some TV Comics with Bill Titcombe Diddymen covers. Did TV Comic ever have colour Telegoon covers by Titcombe? He's my favourite TV Comic artist in the sense that he's the one I'd like to be able to draw like.

stevezodiac

Re: Telegoons in TV Comic

Post by stevezodiac »

I don't recall the Telegoons being on the cover of TV Comic. I have some early sixties issues and Popeye was the cover star for a while and Doctor Who and the Daleks later in the sixties before the long run of Tom and Jerry by Titcombe. I actually watched the Telegoons in the early sixties and have all of the episodes on a pirate dvd.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure they did appear on the cover for a short time. I think I've got one copy from that period somewhere.

(On second thoughts it could be a Diddymen cover I'm thinking of - I'll have to see if I can dig it out!)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I found some 1960 TV Comics in a crate on top of the wardrobe on Tuesday and I think they had Lenny the Lion on the cover. Was Tivvy ever on the cover?

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Another related question, was there a Polystyle "Telegoons" annual? I have Polystyle's 1969 "Diddymen" annual, and by TV annual standards it's brilliant. So good, in fact, that the writers (Dodd, Cook and Millington) didn't mind being credited! Art by Bill Titcombe of course.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

suebutcher wrote:Another related question, was there a Polystyle "Telegoons" annual? I have Polystyle's 1969 "Diddymen" annual, and by TV annual standards it's brilliant. So good, in fact, that the writers (Dodd, Cook and Millington) didn't mind being credited! Art by Bill Titcombe of course.
I don't think there was a Telegoons Annual, Sue. It's not listed here anyway:
http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/galleries ... s-year.htm

(That site is excellent for quick reference of what annuals were published over the last 50+ years.)

NP

Post by NP »

No, the Telegoons were never on the cover, that was Popeye's spot during the run of Telegoons, 1963-66.
There was never a Telegoons annual, but I would like to have a collected edition today!